• Content Count:  32,958
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  233
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Follow

Lord’s prayer ‘problematic’ due to ‘oppressively patriarchal’ reference

Story by Jack Walters  Yesterday 22:18

image.png.7d3217a5dcbf1810c9272ca98388e77a.png

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1dA2xx.img?w=534&h=401&m=6&x=233&y=149&s=268&d=268
Lord’s prayer ‘problematic’ due to ‘oppressively patriarchal’ reference© GB News

The Lord’s prayer is “problematic” due to the “oppressively patriarchal” reference to “Our Father”, the Archbishop of York has suggested.

The opening words of the Lord’s prayer, which have been recited by Christians for around 2,000 years, were deemed divisive during a meeting of the Church of England’s ruling body.

Stephen Cottrell, who succeeded John Sentamu at Bishopthorpe Palace in 2020, used the remainder of his speech before the General Synod to stress the need for unity.

The Archbishop of York said: “I know the word ‘father’ is problematic for those whose experience of earthly fathers has been destructive and abusive, and for all of us who have laboured rather too much from an oppressively patriarchal grip on life.”

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1dA2xG.img?w=534&h=356&m=6&x=519&y=270&s=50&d=50
St Chad's Church in Wishaw, Warwickshire, with a centuries-old mural of the Lord's Prayer© GB News

He later added: “We remain stubbornly unreconciled, appear complacent about division, and often also appear all too ready to divide again […] We have got used to disunity.

“We think it’s normal when in fact, it is a disgrace, an affront to Christ and all he came to give us.”

Canon Dr Chris Sugden, chair of the conservative Anglican Mainstream group, appeared to dismiss Cottrell’s concerns.

He asked: “Is the Archbishop of York saying Jesus was wrong, or that Jesus was not pastorally aware?

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1dA5ii.img?w=534&h=653&m=6&x=260&y=433&s=149&d=149
The Most Reverend Stephen Cottrell during his enthronement as the 98th Archbishop of York© GB News

“It seems to be emblematic of the approach of some church leaders to take their cues from culture rather than scripture.”

However, Reverend Christina Rees, who campaigned for female bishops, stressed the Archbishop “put his finger on an issue that’s a really live issue for Christians and has been for many years”.

She added: “The big question is, do we really believe that God believes that male human beings bear his image more fully and accurately than women? The answer is absolutely not.”

The Church of England was left divided in February after Lambeth Palace decided to launch a commission on gendered language.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1dA2xN.img?w=534&h=356&m=6&x=196&y=151&s=438&d=103
The Archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell (left), and The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, during a Synod at the General Synod© GB News

The commission will consider whether to stop referring to God as “he”.

It could instead suggest priests use gender-neutral terms.

A spokesperson for the Church of England said at the time: “Christians have recognised since ancient times that God is neither male nor female, yet the variety of ways of addressing and describing God found in scripture has not always been reflected in our worship.

“There has been greater interest in exploring new language since the introduction of our current forms of service in contemporary language more than 20 years ago.

“There are absolutely no plans to abolish or substantially revise currently authorised liturgies, and no such changes could be made without extensive legislation.”

• Praying! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

Lady, I must agree with your assessment of this church. If they cannot affirm the Fatherhood of God, then they are outside of Jesus' teachings. Remember Jesus' teaching on how to pray . . . He said Our FATHER in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

If I were in your place I would leave and not look back, and then find an Bible believing Christ honoring church and become a part of that church.

I have noticed over the years that the devil loves to twist words redefining them . . . . kind of like the serpent in the garden of Eden wouldn't you say?

I hope you find an solid church in your area to attend . . .

Grace and Peace . . . Ray . . .  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,672
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Guess I never have been associated with a mainstream church, if that is mainstream. Seems to me the  real need is to not concede any victory to Satan by not associating with brethren in corporate worship and sharing of the gospel of Jesus; Jesus who is God and did manifest fully as a male human in the flesh.

p.s. Upon further thought, it seems it is this church that has left the main stream. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,958
  • Days Won:  233
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

It IS actually the church of England ... you know the one that just took responsibility for the kings coronation :39: The people involved are amongst the highest officials in the church . Here in Wales we have the church in Wales as an off shoot of the church of England and it is many many years since I attended any of their services as I watched it get further and further away from bible based teaching :emot-fail:

• Praying! 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

The thing about the Church of England is its diversity - we were happy members of an evangelical Anglican church for 25 years... until we moved to Wales. The bishop doesn't speak for all Anglicans, by a long way (which is probably a shocking thing in itself, of course). 

You would think that the current obsession with pronouns would have driven out all this nonsense about referring to God as 'she' or 'mother':

https://deborahsbiblestudies.wordpress.com/2023/06/24/the-non-binary-god/

• Loved it! 1
  • Interesting! 1

Well  this thread has me remembering the churches I have been led to  within  the USA all with  pretty active outreach/missionary ministries around various part of the world, from Papua New Guinea to Benin and France/Switzerland even Italy  and Croatia, but I do not recall a one to England / UK.

I have listened to a  missionary  from Wales  that spoke in kind of an English of which I understood most of what he was saying at a Haitian Church conference at Nassau where they spoke Creole when I too was there doing some missionary work project stuff.

But again, never so much as a mention of England / UK. Kinda interesting now that I think about it. Are there no individuals reaching out with the gospel of Jesus at England?

I did awaken this morning having been dreaming of the various local church bodies that God the Holy Spirit has led me to over some 45 years or so.  I am so very blessed! Not a one that I have been led to in  45 years has the characteristics that often gets criticized on these Christian message boards.

I have been led, and that led has forced me to up and move across this vast United States  of America. Not for lack of  churched, but for a very specific purpose by God. Mostly for my benefit. Well no though I say that because I have benefitted so, actually I was in each situation to become a cog, not a clog but a cog, needed at the moment at each specific church body. each has been a great teaching  an dfellowship gathering church body.

So my testimony I guess is they, awesome church bodies, are out there. Maybe God has to direct each of us to them  and we have to be willing to go  as He may direct, which can be financially and physically draining for sure. Yet God  provides the perfect provision  for each journey  in this sojourn.

God is awesome for sure and His local church bodies have some fine company saints that share and fellowship too. I absolutely cherish the experiences  and the memories of them within the various local Church bodies He has had awaiting me.

• Thumbs Up 1