IGNORED

WorthyBoardsCausing Browser Suddenly Quit??

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/18/1957

I can't find out how to contact someone concerning this matter, so I'm just posting the message here for now. I am using Webstractor 1.5.3 (offline browser), for viewing webpages while offline. For some strange reason, when I am archiving webpages from WorthyBoards, my browser (Webstractor) keeps suddenly quitting, usually after only loading two or three webpages.

This is becoming very annoying. I can search many other topics, using Webstractor, with no problems. I did a search on the topic of "Problems with Evolution," and have saved nearly 600 webpages (yes, that's six hundred different webpages!!), on just one Webstractor file, and that file never suddenly quit, not even once, while online!! That Webstractor file is around 100MB so far!!

I've searched hundreds of other topics, and saved over 100 webpages per file, and Webstractor never suddenly quit. The main problem seems to be with WorthyBoards. There is something about WorthyBoards that is conflicting with Webstractor.

I've already sent hundreds of error messages to Apple (I'm using a G4 iBook), and also have sent numerous messages to Softchaos (developer of Webstractor, a Mac-specific application), but have received no answer at all yet, after about three weeks now.

When I use Firefox to browse the WorthyBoards, Firefox NEVER suddenly quits, which is what I would expect. When I browse (offline) the hundreds of Webstractor files that I've saved for the past 16 months, none of the Webstractor files ever quit (that's offline).

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a similar problem? This is very frustrating. There is nothing wrong with my iBook. Everything else works just fine. Just installed an Airport Extreme card, and now I'm wireless!! Working great, with no problems. Running OS X 10.3.9, 768MB RAM. Even when I close all other applications, Webstractor still suddenly quits when I access the WorthyBoards.

I've tried creating new Webstractor files several times, but doesn't make any difference. I've tried running permission (repair), but no problems are ever found, and the repair permission is always successful, with no errors. I've tried restarting, shutting down, and rebooting, and all that stuff, but nothing seems to resolve this conflict with WorthyBoards and Webstractor. Webstractor is the ONLY offline browser that functions the same as Webstractor, which only saves the webpages that you actually load, so you don't have to load entires websites, 10 levels deep, or more!!! I've been there, done that, waiting for websites to download three days later, and still not finished!!

Any ideas!! Help!!! Please!!

-- vja4Him

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/10/1981

I am having the same problems with my webbrowser crashing. I am using Safari on a iBook G4. Every once in a while it will crash when loading or switching pages in Worthy Boards.

Hmmm.... could it be that the people at Worthy Boards have something against Mac users? :thumbsup:

This started when the forum was redone a few weeks ago.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,390
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Probably some handy microsoft add in that those limited mac's just don't understand and can't handle.. :thumbsup:

I am having the same problems with my webbrowser crashing. I am using Safari on a iBook G4. Every once in a while it will crash when loading or switching pages in Worthy Boards.

Hmmm.... could it be that the people at Worthy Boards have something against Mac users? :thumbsup:

This started when the forum was redone a few weeks ago.

Pipit: How/Who can we contact concerning this issue of WorthyBoards and Browser conflict? I believe that Safari and Webstractor are similar to Mozilla. I wonder if Mozilla will suddenly quit while loading WorthyBoards pages?

What other applications suddenly quit on your iBook? Some of the applications that suddenly quit on my iBook: DropDrawers (super-cool application!!!), DefaultFolder X, Safari, Webstractor. There are a couple other menu apps that were suddenly quitting, but I trashed them. Oh yes, Nvu (HTML editor) suddenly quits, but not very often.

-- vja4Him

PM "George" and if there is something possible to do he will know.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/10/1981

The only program that quits is Safari, my web browser, and only with the Worthyboard site.

Probably some handy microsoft add in that those limited mac's just don't understand and can't handle..

Yea... of course, with it being a microsoft add-in, it would be so complicated and confusing and loaded with viruses that our Mac's are intellegent enough to close down the connection before they become infected. Not that we get viruses on Macs... our security and virus protection is so much better than Windows..and so much easier to use...

..oh, and we don't get any 'blue screen of death' either, cause our computers don't crash at random :thumbsup:

The only program that quits is Safari, my web browser, and only with the Worthyboard site.

Probably some handy microsoft add in that those limited mac's just don't understand and can't handle..

Yea... of course, with it being a microsoft add-in, it would be so complicated and confusing and loaded with viruses that our Mac's are intellegent enough to close down the connection before they become infected. Not that we get viruses on Macs... our security and virus protection is so much better than Windows..and so much easier to use...

..oh, and we don't get any 'blue screen of death' either, cause our computers don't crash at random :thumbsup:

I have to deal with all different kinds of computers and networks, and my personal favoriate is Sun Micrisystems version of unix. It's not simple to use, but very stable. I think that most of us use Microsoft because of all the applications that are available that are hard to find for others, and when you do are usually more expensive. As far as viurses go, it's just a $30 a year expense to keep Norton updated and nothing to worry about.

Most microsoft lockups are from people not having the memory needed for some of the applications that they run. I have an AMD 2.6 gig processor with two gig of ram and aobut 350 gig of hard drive space running XP home. I don't think it has ever locked up and it runs for long periods of time without being shut down or rebooted. I work with some pretty large graphics files from my digital camera without any trouble.

I do reboot to a special user when I fly the high performance jets in Flight Simulator to redistribute memory allocated to FS. It's the only way to keep the screen from jumping when you fly 1,400 miles an hour at tree top levels...... Have not seen any mac's that can do that.

WorthyBoards is a server side scripted site. The HTML that your browser views is not generated until AFTER you click on a link, by a PHP program which is run on the server itself. Meaning you cannot view certain pages at all while offline, or if you do get to view those pages, such as this forum, it will be extremely outdated content at best.

Hello WhySoBlind -- I just have to respond to your comment, "You cannot veiw certain pages at all while offline, or if you do get to view those pages, such as this forum, it will be extremely outdated content at best."

That is not true!! One thing that is sooo cool about Webstractor is that it has something called, "Radar," a new feature just added recently, which automatically updates any webpages that you have checked in the box. This is great, because I don't need to have ALL of the thousands of webpages that I've archived updated. Also, I can simply choose "Refresh," and update the forum webpages immediately! I can walk away from my laptop, and leave it running all day long, and have only the webpages that I choose set for Radar. While I'm gone, any changes to those webpages will automatically be updated!! That is a very practical feature that Webstractor offers.

Concerning viewing webpages, I have come across very, very few webpages that I cannot archive in Webstractor, and view offline!!! Yes, there are a few webpages that Webstractor will not open, mostly pages with movie clips, but when I check those same webpages in Firefox, quite often those pages that I cannot view with Webstractor, I also cannot view with Firefox, and sometimes not with other browsers as well. So most of the webpages that cannot be viewed (and archived) with Webstractor are probably webpages that no longer exist, or must have some kind of problem, which I don't understand at this point.

I hope that there is some kind of solution to fix the problem with Webstractor and Safari not being compatible with the WorthyBoards. This seems very strange indeed!!

I frequent hundreds (I do mean "hundreds") of message boards and forums, and I have never (NEVER) seen this problem happen, except with WorthyBoards!! So this must be a problem that is specific with WorthyBoards. I have archived thousands of pages from other forums, mostly Ancestry, GenForum, HTML and numerous computer forums, using Webstractor, and Webstractor has NEVER suddenly quit with any of those forums!!

Interesting that I can browse the Webstractor files (offline) that I've saved with hundreds of forums pages from WorthyBoards, including hundreds of the links from the forum messages, while I'm offline, and Webstractor NEVER suddenly quits, not even once!! I've actually tried seriously to get Webstractor to suddenly quit while offline, browsing WorthyBoards pages that I've archived.

I have purposely tried to find the Webstractor limit, concerning how many webpages that I can save in the same file. I have several Webstractor files with over 500 webpages archived, and I still cannot get Webstractor to quit while browsing WorthyBoards webpages while offline.

On the other hand, ever very small Webstractor files, with only five webpages, still suddenly quit, while browsing online. Sometimes, I can't even save one link that I've clicked on, and Webstractor suddenly quits! So, it seems very obvious that this is an online issue, invloving some kind of conflict between WorthyBoards and Webstractor/Safari.

Any ideas what is really going on, and any possible solutions to this issue?

-- vja4Him