• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Starise said:

I see this as cancellation thinking. Noone knows anything, therefore nothing is known.

"Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture!" I Corinthians 13:9

"And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Corinthians 8:2

"Let no one deceive himself. If any of you thinks he is wise in this age, he should become foolish, so that he may become wise." 1 Corinthians 3:18

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

6 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

"Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture!" I Corinthians 13:9

"And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Corinthians 8:2

"Let no one deceive himself. If any of you thinks he is wise in this age, he should become foolish, so that he may become wise." 1 Corinthians 3:18

The question is then, what can be known and what can't be known according to the bible? If we are given a direct statement, I regard this as something we can know, at least on a superficial level. Knowing a thing on a superficial level never infers we must  construct something to fit in order to make us comfortable with it says, which is what I see some attempting to do. Neither does it disqualify us from knowing PLENTY.

Knowing a thing on a superficial level never infers we must  construct something to fit in order to make us comfortable with it says

The assumption is that the words are clear—with plain and obvious meanings which do not require any type of sophisticated analysis or creativity. You must interpret the words and situations in the Bible, just as the rest of us do. No one is in a position to claim that they have the only correct view of biblical teachings.

2 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

The assumption is that the words are clear—with plain and obvious meanings which do not require any type of sophisticated analysis or creativity. You must interpret the words and situations in the Bible, just as the rest of us do. No one is in a position to claim that they have the only correct view of biblical teachings.

Most of the bible is plain and obvious in my opinion, with respect to knowing what it says and what it means to say. Did an ass really speak to Balaam? I would say yes and no. God gives us believers understanding on much of the more difficult passages if we apply and study. The "correct" view is the view God intended, irregardless of what I think.

The "correct" view is the view God intended, irregardless of what I think.

It seems like the only thing that is crystal clear to us is Jesus on the Cross. Taking a scripture literally tells us nothing unless there is only one way to interpret the words. Usually there are many ways. As such, any one view is only one of many possible interpretations.

1 minute ago, Scott Free said:

It seems like the only thing that is crystal clear to us is Jesus on the Cross. Taking a scripture literally tells us nothing unless there is only one way to interpret the words. Usually there are many ways. As such, any one view is only one of many possible interpretations.

If what you say is true, all we would need is John 3:16. Why study anything else, since none of it can be clear or taken literally?

"Jesus wept". That's literal and clear.

Just now, Starise said:

John 3:16

John 3:16, I love those words with all my heart. The point is, having humility in knowing how much we do not know and tolerance toward people who do not see things our way. This is not an attack on the Bible. It is a sword piercing through the spirit of conceit, cutting into me as well. Assuming I am wielding it right.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  271
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Scott Free said:

There is a reason evolution is called a theory ...

They are doing the best they can and so are we.

Many scientists claim that evolution is more than a theory - they claim it's a fact.  They're "doing the best they can" to preach a falsehood. 

No one can demonstrate that the process described by the theory of evolution was responsible for the history of life on earth, therefore to claim that the theory of evolution is a "fact" cannot be substantiated and is disingenuous. 

Edited by Buzzard3
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Buzzard3 said:

Many scientists claim that evolution is more than a theory - they claim it's a fact.  They're "doing the best they can" to preach a falsehood. 

They say that because there is a large body of diverse evidence pointing to that conclusion. Of course, they can not test for the presence of divine intervention. This does not contradict our faith just or ego belief that we can perfectly discern the words of God.

Edited by Scott Free

53 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

John 3:16, I love those words with all my heart. The point is, having humility in knowing how much we do not know and tolerance toward people who do not see things our way. This is not an attack on the Bible. It is a sword piercing through the spirit of conceit, cutting into me as well. Assuming I am wielding it right.

I hope you don't misinterpret a forward advance of bibical creation concepts as me being in any way disprespectful to anyone else. Unless I am misunderstanding, which is highly possible, you believe a firm stance on the creation story is being less than humble?