• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1978

4 hours ago, Who me said:

Yes and no, most denominations  formed because of politics or basic theological disagreements, but now we have the corruption  of Liberal theology  that actually  denies the basic foundational doctrines.

Yes indeed. I'm not talking about the clown-world people here who have these so-called liturgies and they want you to call them a zebra despite the fact that you're seeing a human. 

I'm talking about the majority of the denominations. Sure, a lot of us have different interpretations on some concepts from the Bible but in general most agree that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and almost all agree on the Holy Trinity. Yes, i know Unitarians and i don't agree with their theology either.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

On 9/22/2023 at 5:49 PM, Mr. M said:

2 Thessalonians 1:3-5 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other, so that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure, which is manifest evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you also suffer.

They learned to love each other and grow in like minded faith, through patient endurance of persecutions and tribulations for His Name, together. Does this mean that every Christian must suffer persecution for their faith? Of course not. What is expected is that we endure the trials of life with the same Christ driven character.

For the Lord has assured us:

John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. 

In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

This requires you to open up, to receive what a brother or sister is sharing into our heart, and let the Holy Spirit give us a heart of compassion to meet them where they are, under the Anointing that the Lord has promised to the faithful. You represent a Compassionate King!  Today, if you hear His Voice, harden not your hearts.

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For each one shall bear his own load.

We bear one another's burdens placed on us by this world,

to ensure that every soul is able to bear his own load in their relationship with the Lord.

Some people think that it is okay to be eased while others are burdened. This is not The Way.

2 Corinthians 8:13-15 For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened; but by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may supply their lack, that their abundance also may supply your lack—that there may be equality. As it is written, He who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack.

Some people think their contribution is more valuable. This is utterly unscriptural.

1 Corinthians 12:

20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 

21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”;

nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”

22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 

23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable,

on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 

24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body,

having given greater honor to that part which lacks it,

25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members

should have the same care for one another. 

26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; 

or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

Discussion pertaining to denominations are off topic. The point of Paul's teaching which is being addressed in the OP is the means by which the Holy Spirit brings together a particular group in the bond of peace. To avoid schisms forming among the brethren beloved, as it is addressed to all the local churches over which Paul exercised authority. In other words, it is "grass roots, locally focused instruction", not global divisions that have formed, whether by social, political or economic drivers.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 hours ago, Mr. M said:

Discussion pertaining to denominations are off topic.

Help. There's a schism forming! :help:

Seriously, research into how some breakaway denominations were formed often resolves to one person with a gripe who persuades others to agree with them, and off they go.

See this Wikipedia Quote

Church of the Nazarene[edit]

In 1894 Bresee withdrew from the appointive ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church in order to serve as pastor to the Peniel Mission, an independent ministry to the homeless of Los Angeles. Over the next year, a rift opened between Bresee and the Peniel Mission's founders, Rev Theodore Pollock Ferguson and his wife, Manie Payne Ferguson. Bresee became convinced that the best ministry for the urban poor was to create strong churches that ministered to entire families. The Fergusons, the mission founders, believed that the Peniel Mission should focus, instead, on the "down and outer." In October 1895, Bresee and Dr. Joseph Pomeroy Widney, a leading Los Angeles physician and former president of the University of Southern California, joined with numerous lay men and women to form a new church. Widney suggested the name "Church of the Nazarene," because he said it identified the ministry with the toiling masses of common people for whom Jesus lived and died. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

Seriously, research into how some breakaway denominations were formed often resolves to one person with a gripe who persuades others to agree with them, and off they go.

See this Wikipedia Quote

In 1894 Bresee withdrew from the appointive ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church in order to serve as pastor to the Peniel Mission, an independent ministry to the homeless of Los Angeles. Over the next year, a rift opened between Bresee and the Peniel Mission's founders, Rev Theodore Pollock Ferguson and his wife, Manie Payne Ferguson. Bresee became convinced that the best ministry for the urban poor was to create strong churches that ministered to entire families. The Fergusons, the mission founders, believed that the Peniel Mission should focus, instead, on the "down and outer." In October 1895, Bresee and Dr. Joseph Pomeroy Widney, a leading Los Angeles physician and former president of the University of Southern California, joined with numerous lay men and women to form a new church. Widney suggested the name "Church of the Nazarene," because he said it identified the ministry with the toiling masses of common people for whom Jesus lived and died. 

Sad story.

Sounds like there was a lack of fellowship between those involved.

Get the "drift"?  :(

1 hour ago, Michael37 said:

See this Wikipedia Quote

What blows my mind is that a combined "two-pronged" approach could very well have been the best plan. They both could have had a true vision for outreach, but could not share and agree and walk together.

When a Pastor asked me to run his rescue mission in New Orleans, he shared his vision with me, and how he had formed that vision into a mission statement. I made that four sentence statement the focus of my prayers and actions, and the ministry grew and multiplied. Then the Pastor's wife seemed to grow jealous, as if I was getting credit for the success that only the Lord could provide, because I was honestly way over my head. She started "fixing things that weren't broken", so I moved on.

I didn't take what I learned and start a "rival ministry", I went back to the secular workplace, wishing them well. What I gained was a deeper, abiding relationship with the Lord that developed from learning to trust Him with the wild and crazy circumstances that arose almost daily. The bottom line is that a worldly "hiring practice" mentality can never work. The ministry thrived while I was there because of my complete insufficiency. Amen.

My home church leadership used to say, "get plugged in and let the Lord use you". The problem is that most people want to be assigned to what they think they will be good at. The opposite is truth. His strength manifests in our weakness, our inadequacy.

Remember the Keith Green song? "Please don't send me to Africa".

• Thumbs Up 1