• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, jeremiah1five said:

The Abrahamic Covenant was already an established covenant. Attempting to sacrifice Isaac had nothing to do with the Gen. 17 establishing of covenant.

Ge 17:21  But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.
Heb 6:16  For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
Heb 6:17  Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

Ga 3:15  Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man’s covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
Ga 3:17  And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

21 minutes ago, jeremiah1five said:

Attempting to sacrifice Isaac had nothing to do with the Gen. 17 establishing of covenant.

Gen 22:16  And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17  That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

27 minutes ago, jeremiah1five said:

The Abrahamic Covenant doesn't even come with a requirement of obedience.

Gen 22:16  And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing,

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

6 hours ago, jeremiah1five said:

There is nothing in the Abrahamic Covenant in Genesis 17 mentioning Gentiles. 

The Abrahamic covenant is a central theme in Judaism and Christianity. It is a promise made by God to Abraham that his descendants would become a great nation and that all nations would be blessed through him.

On 10/18/2023 at 4:22 PM, jeremiah1five said:

The New Covenant writings of Saul, Peter, James, John, Jude, etc., were written by Jewish Christians to and for other Jewish Christians in the cities and towns they were addressed to, such as Corinth, Ephesus, the region of Galatia, Philippi, Thessalonica, etc. And all these writing were explanation and discussion of Jesus Christ, Israel's Messiah and His effect upon their Covenants and Promises.

Hardly . . .

Rom 11:13-14  For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry,  (14)  if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Michael37 said:

I agree, I think the scripture makes that clear, as does the law itself. But these verses speak of not adding to, nor taking away from an established (or confirmed) covenant. 

These days some ask about about Abraham keeping Mosaic law. Some claim he kept the Sabbath etc. Is that adding to the Covenant sworn to Abraham? Then too, some seem to take away from it by implying the promises are based upon obedience to Mosaic law. As opposed to the notion that the law cannot disannul them. Just for thought I had as I wrote this post. Taking away from that covenant, takes away also from not only Abraham himself, as well as the patriarchs themselves. 

Heb 6:16  For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
Heb 6:17  Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

Ga 3:15  Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man’s covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

Even the redemption from Egypt was by the Abrahamic covenant.

Ex 6:5  And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

On 10/26/2023 at 6:30 PM, Anne2 said:

Ge 17:21  But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.
Heb 6:16  For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
Heb 6:17  Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

Ga 3:15  Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man’s covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
Ga 3:17  And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Gen 22:16  And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17  That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

Gen 22:16  And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing,

@Anne2 It's good indeed to balance what Hebrews says in the NT, when considering OT passages.

On 10/28/2023 at 4:22 AM, Anne2 said:

These days some ask about Abraham keeping Mosaic law. Some claim he kept the Sabbath etc.

Fun Facts For Feology Students:

According to the book of Genesis, Abraham lived in ancient Mesopotamia over 4,000 years ago during the time now known as the period of the Patriarchs. He died in about 1771 BC. Moses was a prophet who led the Israelites out of Egypt. He was born in about 1526 BC and died in about 1406 BC. Therefore, Abraham lived about 245 years before Moses was born 12. [BingChat]

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.24
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

13 hours ago, Michael37 said:

How does that square with Exodus 12:40 - The time that the Israelites had lived in Egypt was four hundred and thirty years.

2 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

How does that square with Exodus 12:40 - The time that the Israelites had lived in Egypt was four hundred and thirty years.

Yes, A FAQ 

Exodus 12:40
It was just four hundred and thirty years from the promise made to Abraham (as the Apostle explains it, Gal 3:17,) at his first coming into Canaan, during all which time the Hebrews, were sojourners in a land that was not theirs, either Canaan or Egypt. So long the promise God made to Abraham lay dormant and unfulfilled, but now, it revived, and things began to work towards the accomplishment of it. The first day of the march of Abraham's seed towards Canaan was four hundred and thirty years (it should seem, to a day) from the promise made to Abraham, Gen 12:2. I will make of thee a great nation. [John Wesley's Notes]