IGNORED

recurring nightmares support

Guest Lee05

Hi! I'm a brand new member to this site. Can anyone please help me find some support for sufferers of recurring nightmares? I've done research but cannot find anything useful online. I don't even know anyone personally who has this problem. I'm 33 and have had torturous dreams nightly my whole life. I am a Christian and have been born again for a few years but that hasn't lessened the nightmares. I dream of everything from violence, fire, being chased, losing loved ones, and anything else twisted and obscene that you can imagine. These nightly dreams make it very hard to face the next day and be fresh, hopeful, and productive. I've tried prayer, changing my nightly routine, screening carefully what I eat, who I associate with, and what television I allow into my brain. Please email if you suffer from nightmares on a regular basis and also if you've found anything to help you. Thank you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/28/1977

Well I have only been having nightmares the past few months, and nothing compared to what you are having! I know where mine come from. What I have found gives me relief is praying specifically for a good night, doing my devotions right before bed, and focusing on a Bible verse or a specific thought about God's power while I drift into sleep.

It sounds like you may have a far more serious problem than I have. Maybe a sleep clinic could help? I'm tempted to say psychologist, but that sounds like something that they would want to do hypnotherapy on or do the recovered memories thing on. Both those things scare me, so I'm going to let someone else say psychologist.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Abraham Lincoln also suffered from nightmares, and I read somewhere it is common in folks who have Grave's Disease. Has a doctor checked you for Grave's?

In any event, we will pray for you at Vespers.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I'm not recommending this site; nor do I know if it's reliable. But it does seem to give some practical and possibly helpful info about dealing with nightmares.

http://www.dreams.ca/nightmares.htm

Just one other thought. Are you on any medication? Some medications can contribute to nightmares.

Peace,

Fiosh

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Interesting Website.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hi, Lee!

Nightmares can come from physical sources, as mentioned above.

They can also come from mental/ emotional struggles (something from your subconcious).

But they can also come from demonic influences.

I've had the latter - as a Christian.

I had continuous nightmares as a child, and they didn't end until my dad prayed over me, rebuking the demons that were tormenting me.

But then in college, I had nightmare attacks recur again. I don't know why they started.

What I do know is that I've had to combat them through rebuking the demons in my dreams in the name of Jesus. Also, quoting Scripture (Psalm 91 is a great one to read and proclaim out loud before you go to bed) and worshiping the Lord amidst the trials and the fear.

I don't know if you know of anyone who believes in spiritual warfare who will pray over you, but if you do, go for it.

So . . . unless you know what the source is, try out the advise from the above posts regarding physical sources, try out a Christian counselor for any soulical sources, and (not or) attack this from the spiritual perspective (esp. the scripture part). That will cover all bases and hopefully corner this thing that you may overcome it!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

As Nebula alluded, I would be inclined to think you may have a demon that needs to be cast out. May I ask if you have been baptised? If not, then you might consider doing so very soon.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Hi, Lee!

Nightmares can come from physical sources, as mentioned above.

They can also come from mental/ emotional struggles (something from your subconcious).

But they can also come from demonic influences.

I've had the latter - as a Christian.

I had continuous nightmares as a child, and they didn't end until my dad prayed over me, rebuking the demons that were tormenting me.

But then in college, I had nightmare attacks recur again. I don't know why they started.

What I do know is that I've had to combat them through rebuking the demons in my dreams in the name of Jesus. Also, quoting Scripture (Psalm 91 is a great one to read and proclaim out loud before you go to bed) and worshiping the Lord amidst the trials and the fear.

I don't know if you know of anyone who believes in spiritual warfare who will pray over you, but if you do, go for it.

So . . . unless you know what the source is, try out the advise from the above posts regarding physical sources, try out a Christian counselor for any soulical sources, and (not or) attack this from the spiritual perspective (esp. the scripture part). That will cover all bases and hopefully corner this thing that you may overcome it!

Sister Lee,

I agree with Nebula that nightmares can be the result of physical and/or psychological factors; or demonic oppression. I haven't yet found a foolproof way to tell the difference, so it doesn't hurt to cover all the bases.

I will pray for you tonight, specifically that our Father surround you with His angels, and protect you with His power, from all evil, so that you may rest peacefully in His arms tonite. I ask that all who read this thread do the same. When two or more believers pray with one mind, in His will, we are promised that He will answer.

May our risen Lord give you His peace tonight and every night.

Sweet dreams,

Fiosh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

Hi Lee,

Five years ago I left my job and got married. Not long after our wedding, I began having terrible nightmares. There were many nights when I would be crying or yelling in my sleep. Like you, it made it very hard for me to be refreshed and prepared for the next day. This carried on for quite for a while, until eventually, my husband and I separated for a time. My personality changed and I gained weight.

For the past year, the nightmares have subsided and I am slowly getting myself back on my feet. I decided to take up introductory psychology and I noticed a great change in my focus. I began making plans for the future, wanting to loose weight, wanting reconciliation for my marriage. Wanting to renew my relationship with God.

I think we all go through a chapter in our lives where our beliefs and values are challenged.

My nightmares may have been representative of my fears, because I was afraid of the changes that were ocurring around me. Afraid to step out into the unknown. Before I got married, I knew who I was, where I was headed, what I wanted in life. Getting married and looking at new career options meant redefining myself - which was not very easy.

I will leave you with this famous psychological concept: Learn from the past - to understand today - to plan for the future.

I hope my testimony is of some help to you.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I had the same nightmare for 15 years. I was driving down the road and lost control over a bridge. It was a terrible accident and I would wake up screaming.They started about age 10. I would hyperventilate whenever I would have to go over a bridge of anykind. My hands would sweat, my heart would race and I'd have a panic attack. My mom would talk me through it and tell me to close my eyes. I was afraid to drive so I didn't get my drivers liscense until I was 21. My mom forced me to take the test and I passed.This continued until I was 25 years old. I had been married for 7 years and was coming home from work late at night during a light rain. The temperature had dropped below freezing and the bridge iced over. I lost control and flipped 3 times down an embankment and over the bridge. I was not wearing a seat belt when I left work. But when I woke up after the accident, the car was upside down and I was hanging from my seat belt. God sent an angel to hold me in my seat. I crawled up to the road with a broken back and flagged down a car that called 911. I was ok, I had survived my nightmare. God warned me and gave me a second chance at life. My nightmares have not returned since this accident. Praise God!