IGNORED

Mike Johnson - New Speaker of the House & Fundamentalist Christian (Oh No!)

Vine Abider

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,485
  • Content Per Day:  6.15
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

I just read the below linked article regarding Mike Johnson's meteoric rise to become the new speaker of the house of representatives.  He is an avowed fundamentalist Christian, who believes the Bible is the word of God, and evidently that it's precepts should be the law of the land.  In reading the article, I am quite sympathetic with this brother.  The article (from far left Mother Jones) expresses incredulity towards these fundamental Christian stances Mike is making, as if they are something extreme.  What I see as being more extreme, is where the country has been heading with its various values, therefore normal Christian values are now appearing more and more "out there" to the hyper-woke culture.

However, these days I am more and more conscious of what Paul said was his approach to the secular world: "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church?" (1 Cor 5:12)  Our goal as Christians is about helping people accept Jesus so they get the life of Christ in them, not with putting "lipstick on the pig" to dress things up only in the external.  That inner change of His indwelling life is the only thing that lasts eternally.

It would be tough being a Christian politician these days, and unless one is specifically called by the Lord into that profession, I don't know that we Christians have any business in it.  (doesn't mean we shouldn't vote our conscience) I don't know much about brother Mike, but I do hope he listens to the Lord's Spirit within him, and is not just trying to pursue some outward letter of the law.

https://link.motherjones.com/public/33196514

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

His ties to the NAR seem problematic.

2 minutes ago, teddyv said:

National Association of Relators? 

9 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

National Association of Relators? 

Haha!

New Apostolic Reformation. That's a long deep hole to go down.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.61

28 minutes ago, teddyv said:

Can you explain this?  I'm not familiar with NAR or what its beliefs or intentions are.

As I mentioned, its a bit of a deep dive to really understand it and I can't say I fully do. It is intimately tied to the current rise of Christian Nationalism.

The architect, if you will, is C. Peter Wagner. I am going to likely get some things misstated here. His view was that the role of apostle as the head/leader of the church had been ignored and that there needed to be a renewal in that role of apostleship (and prophets). He gathered around a few people that built on this idea, including the idea of the Seven Mountain Mandate, the idea that Christians should be dominant in the seven "spheres" of human activity - such as politics, education, science and technology, business and some others I don't remember). The huge rise in so-called prophets is likely also related to this teaching. The whole idea of prayer warriors and spiritual warfare comes out of this ideology as well.

Bear in mind, this is not an organization as such - you won't find a head office or something under that name. It is a loose group of highly influential pastors and prophets. 

There has been much written on this group more recently. I can give you a link to an extensive podcast series in a PM if you want that lays out the history and it's impact in more recent times.

(As an aside, from my Dutch Reformed perspective, the idea of Christians being involved in all aspects of human endeavor is also important, but the idea of dominating those fields is not the goal, rather to bringing and being the "salt and light" of the gospel.")

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.61

13 minutes ago, teddyv said:

There has been much written on this group more recently. I can give you a link to an extensive podcast series in a PM if you want that lays out the history and it's impact in more recent times.

I would like that, its something I don't know anything about as such.

28 minutes ago, FJK said:

I would like that, its something I don't know anything about as such.

Found this online quoting "religious scholar Matthew D. Taylor in another website" (The Bulwark): https://www.alternet.org/mike-johnson-2666097810/  (this article has been picked up by several outlets)

Taylor goes on to point out that the "key Christian instigators of January 6" who he has "tracked" are "part of an amorphous, nondenominational network called the New Apostolic Reformation (NAR)."

"They believe and propagate extreme theologies that provide a mandate for Christians to take over society, and they have become increasingly influential in Republican politics in the past eight years," Taylor observes. "Several New Apostolic Reformation leaders — they usually call their leaders either apostles or prophets — were influential evangelical advisers to Donald Trump. Presumably, some of them still are."

The religious scholar adds, "While he is not formally attached to the NAR movement, Mike Johnson, a Southern Baptist, has spent years hanging around with NAR leaders, looking to them as mentors and friends, and pursuing their agenda."

So just association with this organization (if true) doesn't make him good or bad, and also could be left-leaning propoganda (or not).

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  575
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  9

Liberals are out to get this man. I find him a breath of fresh air. It's refreshing to see someone in office give Praise to God and pray!! They are mocking him for his Christian beliefs and he says it doesn't bother him!! :)  I'm praying for him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,052
  • Content Per Day:  1.60
  • Days Won:  0

I will admit that I know nothing about this man. However the idea of having a real Christian as the highest ranking member of Congress definitely makes me smile from ear to ear, and even more so when I realize how ticked off the Democrats are about it. We need more Christians with spines in Congress who will tell the liberals what to go do with themselves. We need people to return this country to its roots. Hopefully this guy can help with that.

• Loved it! 1