• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

i have three questions: 1 did adam name sealife and how? and do we still call them by those names today?

Guest AFlameOfFire

Its shows God gave them dominion over all of these

Gen 1:6 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

But only these are shown at this time as being brought to him to name

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Gen 2:20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Wouldn't Adam need to be brought to the sea to name the fish of the sea verses the fish of the sea being brought on dry land for Adam to name? 

That wouldn't make sense that God would bring water creatures onto dry land to be named, that would even look funny, can you imagine? 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

Wouldn't Adam need to be brought to the sea to name the fish of the sea verses the fish of the sea being brought on dry land for Adam to name? 

That wouldn't make sense that God would bring water creatures onto dry land to be named, that would even look funny, can you imagine? 

If you're on the edge of a body of water, the fishes can swim up to the edge for you to see them.

I've often had this happen in a few remote mountain lakes I used to camp at, and those critters actually seemed to remember me since I always tossed them some leftover bread and such and they actually came to expect me to do that.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

24 minutes ago, Ghostdog said:

Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

i have three questions: 1 did adam name sealife and how? and do we still call them by those names today?

1.  No, Adam did not name the sea life.  The Bible says it was only livestock, birds, and wild things. And it wasn't as much as one might think.  There was no poodle, German shepherd, or pit bull. There was no variety of several species of tigers as there have been today.

2.  No, we do not call the animals by the same name Adam called them. He didn't speak any known or modern language.  We don't the names he gave.  Besides, when Linnaeus came along and made his animal classification with all the Latin - we just don't know the first names.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

Guest AFlameOfFire
13 minutes ago, FJK said:

If you're on the edge of a body of water, the fishes can swim up to the edge for you to see them.

I've often had this happen in a few remote mountain lakes I used to camp at, and those critters actually seemed to remember me since I always tossed them some leftover bread and such and they actually came to expect me to do that.

Why didn't God say, that he brought Adam to the edge of the sea to name the fish of the sea too though?

Because he brings both that which is named in Gen 2:19 to Adam to name and also brings the woman to the man,, but says nothing about bring the fish of the sea to Adam or bringing Adam to the sea.

Where do great men of theology locate the garden of Eden on a secular map?  

The ones I look at have the sea hundreds of miles away from Adam, but what do I know?

Edited by AFlameOfFire

6 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

Where do great men of theology locate the garden of Eden on a secular map? 

Great men's thinking might not be quiet as great and lofty in God's eyes as they think it is.  

The Bible doesn't tell us where it is (was?) located but does tell us man is now forbidden to go there.

Guest AFlameOfFire

Man still discovers species of various creatures (whether on the land or sea) and is given the permission of his Creator to name them and whatever man would call them that is decidely that creatures name. That still goes on today

Guest AFlameOfFire
1 minute ago, FJK said:

Great men's thinking might not be quiet as great and lofty in God's eyes as they think it is.  

The Bible doesn't tell us where it is (was?) located but does tell us man is now forbidden to go there.

The reason I am asking is because the sea may have been too far away to even bring Adam to the sea (because of the location) in order to name them which is why it is not mentioned. Sometimes what is left out is as important as what is included.

Guest AFlameOfFire

The last man was still naming the beasts 

Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?:laugh:

Ecc3:18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.

5 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

The reason I am asking is because the sea may have been too far away to even bring Adam to the sea (because of the location) in order to name them which is why it is not mentioned. Sometimes what is left out is as important as what is included.

Keep in mind that this took place not only in Eden but in the antediluvian world as well.

A good chance that things then were very different than they are today.