IGNORED

What is your understanding of Hebrews 12:9?

Daniel Marsh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Hebrews 12:9
Darby Translation
9 Moreover we have had the fathers of our flesh as chasteners, and we reverenced [them]; shall we not much rather be in subjection to the Father of spirits, and live?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49

Maybe this?

He talks about maybe coming with a Rod....rod of correction?

1 cor 4:14  I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you.
15  For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
16  Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
17   For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.
18  Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.
19  But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.
20  For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.
21  What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.81

1 hour ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Hebrews 12:9
Darby Translation
9 Moreover we have had the fathers of our flesh as chasteners, and we reverenced [them]; shall we not much rather be in subjection to the Father of spirits, and live?

First part of verse is referring to the old law or old way before Christ came.

Second is reminding how they followed the the elders.

Last he is expressing just how important This new doctrine is.

• Interesting! 1

Guest AFlameOfFire

Numbers 16:22 & Numbers 27:16 address him as the God of the spirts of all flesh, we each have a spirit, and His Spirit beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.

So here it says Father of spirits

Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: 
shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

God of the spirits of all flesh

Numbers 16:22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, 
and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?

As well as here

Numbers 27:16 Let the LORD, the God of the spirits of all flesh, set a man over the congregation,

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Hebrews 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Hebrews 12:9 ~ Spirits: (G. pneuma)              good, or at least not expressly evil spirits or spirit-beings[1]

Numbers 27:16 ~ Spirits: (H. a) רוּחַ  378× breath, wind; by extension: spirit, mind, heart, as the immaterial part of a person that can respond to God, the seat of life; spirit being, especially the Spirit of God[2]

The writer appeals to the practice and result of discipline exercised in the human family. He and his readers have had experience of discipline; they have had fathers who were paideutai, “correctors,” “discipliners.” Fathers are seen in their capacity as chastisers, trainers of their children by punishing them when they go wrong.[3]

The long way of agreeing with Anne2.

[1] Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., Bauer, W., & Gingrich, F. W. (2000). In A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed., p. 833). University of Chicago Press.

[2] Mounce, W. D. (2006). In Mounce’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words (p. 1039). Zondervan.

[3] Morris, L. (1981). Hebrews. In F. E. Gaebelein (Ed.), The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Hebrews through Revelation (Vol. 12, p. 137). Zondervan Publishing House.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 12/1/2023 at 9:34 PM, NConly said:

First part of verse is referring to the old law or old way before Christ came.

Second is reminding how they followed the the elders.

Last he is expressing just how important This new doctrine is.

@NConly Shortly afterwards in the chapter there are some tremendous verses to strengthen true believers:

"But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel."

:)

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.81

1 hour ago, farouk said:

@NConly Shortly afterwards in the chapter there are some tremendous verses to strengthen true believers:

"But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel."

:)

v 23 must be talking about Jesus same as last part of 12:9

shall we not much rather be in subjection to the Father of spirits, and live?

according to Matt 28:18

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

12 minutes ago, NConly said:

v 23 must be talking about Jesus same as last part of 12:9

shall we not much rather be in subjection to the Father of spirits, and live?

according to Matt 28:18

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

?

@NConly Part of the idea may be that the church as properly defined is a spiritual entity.

Like earthly families provide opportunity for comparison, but the actual basis of the church is spiritual.

(If this makes any sense?)

• Thumbs Up 1