Character Development of Abram

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I am a little troubled by Abram valuing Sari's advice above Gods Standards. In regard to sleeping with Hagar. But Abraham is "completely different"(from Chosen) and reversed his behaviour with Isaac. Have I got this right?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,714
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, tony wesmit said:

reversed his behaviour with Isaac. Have I got this right?

Hi, I don't know about reversed his behavior so much as being used to fulfill God's plan. Seems to me the "hero's" of the Bible have a common theme in that they  were fallible yet used mightily  by God, and did indeed become mighty on their own part in their own following of God's will, though often to finish not all that well.

In my limited appraisal the lesson (For me) is always trust God, do God's will for me personally, and know God's grace and mercy  is from everlasting to everlasting.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The Bible is full of such characters. David was a murderer and adulterer. Moses had temper issues. Jonah was rebellious. Samson had lust issues.

Peter denied Jesus. Matthew was a tax collector before following Christ. Paul was a murderer and persecutor of the faith.

In fact if you look at most of the characters in the Bible you will find them to be despicable people, yet God used them anyway. 

Why? Because they still loved God and wanted to follow His word, even though they often struggled with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

The long road to a simple question.

The way I view it, even today we Westerners have a difficult time understanding ancient Eastern thinking and customs. God ordained marriage between one man and one woman.

At Babel, the Lord divided the people, and by their tongue, they migrated into the Table of Nations (Genesis 10) and God disinherited the nations. The Lord wanted a people of His own, an inheritance for Himself (see Deu. 32). Abram was a Gentile, and the Lord’s selection as the father for His inheritance, through Isaac, and Jacob. Abraham believed God.

For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. (Romans 4:3)

This division of tongues took place during the days of Peleg. This was not the division of Pangaea and plate tectonics in my opinion.

And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan. (Genesis 10:25)

I suspect the one shared language before God confused the languages was Hebrew for several reasons. I believe the Hebrew language was passed down through Eber (Heber), from where the name of the Hebrew language derived.

Abram was a descendant of Eber, so technically Abram was a Hebrew, if this is understood correctly. It is noteworthy that Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Sara are heroes listed by name in Hebrews chapter eleven, and why.

I am not positive but, it appears concubinage may have been acceptable in cases when the wife was barren, to carry on the family lineage and name. We remember Sarah laughing in her heart overhearing the conversation of her conceiving and bearing in her old age.

A concubine was a form of polygamy and a common practice throughout antiquity. They were recognized as a wife but had a lower class standing legally and subservient. Normally only the powerful and wealthy could afford a concubine. Often kings used their daughters as concubines (wives), offering them to other kings as a form of peace treaty, to hinder hostilities and war with those nations.

Hagar was not a concubine, but Sarah’s Egyptian handmaid, or servant. From this disobedience and offspring from this union, look at where we are today. Two nations were born, and are still at odds.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

7 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

The long road to a simple question.

The way I view it, even today we Westerners have a difficult time understanding ancient Eastern thinking and customs. God ordained marriage between one man and one woman.

At Babel, the Lord divided the people, and by their tongue, they migrated into the Table of Nations (Genesis 10) and God disinherited the nations. The Lord wanted a people of His own, an inheritance for Himself (see Deu. 32). Abram was a Gentile, and the Lord’s selection as the father for His inheritance, through Isaac, and Jacob. Abraham believed God.

For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. (Romans 4:3)

This division of tongues took place during the days of Peleg. This was not the division of Pangaea and plate tectonics in my opinion.

And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan. (Genesis 10:25)

I suspect the one shared language before God confused the languages was Hebrew for several reasons. I believe the Hebrew language was passed down through Eber (Heber), from where the name of the Hebrew language derived.

Abram was a descendant of Eber, so technically Abram was a Hebrew, if this is understood correctly. It is noteworthy that Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Sara are heroes listed by name in Hebrews chapter eleven, and why.

I am not positive but, it appears concubinage may have been acceptable in cases when the wife was barren, to carry on the family lineage and name. We remember Sarah laughing in her heart overhearing the conversation of her conceiving and bearing in her old age.

A concubine was a form of polygamy and a common practice throughout antiquity. They were recognized as a wife but had a lower class standing legally and subservient. Normally only the powerful and wealthy could afford a concubine. Often kings used their daughters as concubines (wives), offering them to other kings as a form of peace treaty, to hinder hostilities and war with those nations.

Hagar was not a concubine, but Sarah’s Egyptian handmaid, or servant. From this disobedience and offspring from this union, look at where we are today. Two nations were born, and are still at odds.

Well said but I have to disagree on one aspect. 

Abraham wasn't a gentile. Nor a jew. As the nation of Israel hadn't been formed yet so that distinction didn't exist yet. He was the one that God used to create Israel ultimately, but at the time there was no jew and gentile.

• Thumbs Up 1