• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,094
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

On 3/1/2024 at 1:23 AM, Gabriel80 said:

Ok, I am not sure how to really word this... bare with me.

Let's say I have witnessed, over the course of many years, with my life example and Christ's gospel to a friend.  Not that I am constantly bombarding them with the gospel but they know exactly where I stand and have explained to them Christ's sacrifice.

It hasn't convinced the person of their need for repentance and accepting Jesus as Lord of their life.

Now, I have never used this, I almost did once but in the end I restrained myself...

But let's say I said something along the lines of-

'Well, I know you don't believe in any existence after death.  But wouldn't you want to hedge your bets just in case you are wrong? It wouldn't change a thing for you if I am wrong about God's existence and Christ's sacrifice on the cross.'

I have hesitated to use anything approaching this because I feel it is an appeal to self interest only... and really speaks nothing of God's love for them.

I feel I have exhausted alot of options already trying to reach them.

At the same time, I don't want to deny God's power to work through anything... even if such a "hedge your bets" kind of appeal was made.

Am I totally a wrong in this regard... thinking of using this line or for not using this?

(I am ok hearing that... either way.)

I know someone has been in this place before or had a thought similar?

I open to teaching here.

Thank you.

I don't know. Only when someone is about to die I don't care anymore and flat out say: hey have you arranged your ticket to heaven? 

Hedge your bets.. if he doesn't believe it you can pray the stuff from the book of Lee Thomas, bind powers that blind him, pray God opens his eyes and all that and first do that for a while and then speak or maybe show him that video from Ian McCormack who was an atheist who got saved last minute or Raised from the dead from Bonnke.

Edited by RdJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  1.02

45 minutes ago, RdJ said:

I don't know. Only when someone is about to die I don't care anymore and flat out say: hey have you arranged your ticket to heaven? 

Hedge your bets.. if he doesn't believe it you can pray the stuff from the book of Lee Thomas, bind powers that blind him, pray God opens his eyes and all that and first do that for a while and then speak or maybe show him that video from Ian McCormack who was an atheist who got saved last minute or Raised from the dead from Bonnke.

I can see your reasoning here and I would be hesitant to discourage anyone who attempts some appeal to self interest as a last resort in a imment mortality situation to reach an unbeliever.

Hopefully, my initial post did not come across that way... if it did, my apologies.

My case, as presented, is a little bit different.

Thank you for your thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

9 hours ago, RdJ said:

@RdJ Here's a good verse which is relevant to how testimony is received:

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11.6).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,406
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I look at it this way. If you live in the western world you're not telling anyone anything new unless they're very young. They're probably already familiar with Christianity and its basic ideas. In most cases I feel like it's better to show than tell. Be an example of Godly love to them.

That said no two people are alike, so when it comes to a verbal approaches there's no single argument or method that will work. It's also important to keep in mind that it's not us, but the Holy Spirit moving on people to open their hearts. Then they have to respond to that move, and the ball is no longer in our court. When it comes to the hedged bet approach you have to keep in mind that it invites questions like "Why Jesus? Why not that other religion?". That can be an interesting discussion to have but it's also difficult to answer in a way that's going to resonate with someone operating under a hardened heart and a worldly mindset.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,094
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

11 hours ago, farouk said:

@RdJ Here's a good verse which is relevant to how testimony is received:

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11.6).

Yes that's why I thought show him that video from Ian or something. Did that once with a collegue who had been in a coma. We also used it in church as a way to evangelize, so they would get faith that God exists. That's step 1. Or you could ask: Shall we pray that God reveals Himself to you? Cause otherwise it's no use.

That video was so good, because he was an atheist and it's a great testimony.