Self-interest/ witnessing/ salvation

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  0

Ok, I am not sure how to really word this... bare with me.

Let's say I have witnessed, over the course of many years, with my life example and Christ's gospel to a friend.  Not that I am constantly bombarding them with the gospel but they know exactly where I stand and have explained to them Christ's sacrifice.

It hasn't convinced the person of their need for repentance and accepting Jesus as Lord of their life.

Now, I have never used this, I almost did once but in the end I restrained myself...

But let's say I said something along the lines of-

'Well, I know you don't believe in any existence after death.  But wouldn't you want to hedge your bets just in case you are wrong? It wouldn't change a thing for you if I am wrong about God's existence and Christ's sacrifice on the cross.'

I have hesitated to use anything approaching this because I feel it is an appeal to self interest only... and really speaks nothing of God's love for them.

I feel I have exhausted alot of options already trying to reach them.

At the same time, I don't want to deny God's power to work through anything... even if such a "hedge your bets" kind of appeal was made.

Am I totally a wrong in this regard... thinking of using this line or for not using this?

(I am ok hearing that... either way.)

I know someone has been in this place before or had a thought similar?

I open to teaching here.

Thank you.

Edited by Gabriel80
Vocabulary

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Gabriel80 said:

'Well, I know you don't believe in any existence after death.  But wouldn't you want to hedge your bets just in case you are wrong? It wouldn't change a thing for you if I am wrong about God's existence and Christ's sacrifice on the cross.'

Hi @Gabriel80

It seems you are a faithful minister of the New Covenant in Christ. Keep up the Good Work.

I would exhort you not to get stuck in a rut with the premise quoted above but it is alright to mention it in passing as a well-known rhetorical phrase.

You are always on solid ground if you express your absolute certainty that the Scriptures are correct concerning these six foundational principles:

Hebrews6Foundation.PNG.4f6ac16bd9fc3af457312d5bf448fd43.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

16 hours ago, Gabriel80 said:

have witnessed, over the course of many years, with my life example and Christ's gospel to a friend.  Not that I am constantly bombarding them with the gospel but they know exactly where I stand and have explained to them Christ's sacrifice

Rather than tell them what you believe,  why not ask.

What do you believe ?

Then when they've explain what the believe, ask them.

What evidence do you have for that belief?

Just be sure you can give  a ratio Al reason for your faith.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

Just now, Who me said:

you can give  a ratio Al reason

That should be rational reason.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.94
  • Days Won:  1

Hedging your bets is not believing, it still has all sorts of other competing beliefs involved with it and doesn't put Christ (God) as supreme (violation of first commandment as such).

Better to just speak the word as well as you can and let the other one accept or reject it as he (or she) pleases.  Never hurts to leave the thought that when or if all else fails there is always be the ever waiting and all forgiving Christ to turn to.

4 hours ago, FJK said:

Hedging your bets is not believing, it still has all sorts of other competing beliefs involved with it and doesn't put Christ (God) as supreme (violation of first commandment as such).

Better to just speak the word as well as you can and let the other one accept or reject it as he (or she) pleases.  Never hurts to leave the thought that when or if all else fails there is always be the ever waiting and all forgiving Christ to turn to.

This is my default feeling.  And why I haven't made the appeal that way.  I was very close at one point though...   but am satisfied that I didn't.  

I just wanted to get some understanding outside of my own person.

Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 2/29/2024 at 7:23 PM, Gabriel80 said:

Let's say I have witnessed, over the course of many years, with my life example and Christ's gospel to a friend.  Not that I am constantly bombarding them with the gospel but they know exactly where I stand and have explained to them Christ's sacrifice.

It hasn't convinced the person of their need for repentance and accepting Jesus as Lord of their life.

Now, I have never used this, I almost did once but in the end I restrained myself...

I have hesitated to use anything approaching this because I feel it is an appeal to self interest only... and really speaks nothing of God's love for them.

At the same time, I don't want to deny God's power to work through anything... even if such a "hedge your bets" kind of appeal was made.

Am I totally a wrong in this regard... thinking of using this line or for not using this?

I open to teaching here.

Thank you.

@Gabriel80 I am reminded of Luther saying, 'I did nothing. The Word did it all.'

The idea being, He was not pushing himself, but allowing the Word simply to speak for itself.

Sometimes a wordless, consistent testimony can speak volumes.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

On 2/29/2024 at 6:23 PM, Gabriel80 said:

I open to teaching here.

Thank you.

I agree with FJK.  "Hedging your bets" does appeal to the flesh and doesn't necessarily lead to a conversion.

There ARE people who say, "Well I walked down the aisle at church and got dunked in the baptistry - so I'm good to go."  No, they aren't.

Take some time to pray to the Lord about what to say, google evangelism to the stubbornly lost,  get ideas from people here,  and PRACTICE your OWN testimony and statement of beliefs based on the Word.

I also agree with Who Me that asking this person what HIS beliefs are and asking for his evidence and why he believes this way.

I'll pray for you.

40 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I'll pray for you.

Thank you! I surely need it!

Thank you for your other comments as well.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

57 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I agree with FJK.  "Hedging your bets" does appeal to the flesh and doesn't necessarily lead to a conversion.

There ARE people who say, "Well I walked down the aisle at church and got dunked in the baptistry - so I'm good to go."  No, they aren't.

Take some time to pray to the Lord about what to say, google evangelism to the stubbornly lost,  get ideas from people here,  and PRACTICE your OWN testimony and statement of beliefs based on the Word.

I also agree with Who Me that asking this person what HIS beliefs are and asking for his evidence and why he believes this way.

I'll pray for you.

@Jayne @Gabriel80 I think it's also true that styles of discourse, evangelistic preaching, etc., may differ significantly in different parts of the English-speaking world, and indeed elsewhere. The existence of these significantly different styles does not mean that one's doctrinal basis from the Scriptures is faulty.