• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

It seems to me that the focus of whether someone is a true Christian or not misses the mark a little, and here's why I think that.  I believe the real question is: are they regenerated with the life of God in them, aka born-again?  Asking if someone is a "true Christian" seems to often be more about their behavior, that is, are they acting like a child of God?

Now I do think it's true that when someone is born of God, the new life in them will manifest (although perhaps not in this life), and the word promises that at some point His work began in them will be finished.  However, and I know in my case, there were some definite periods in my life where you may have had trouble finding much outward (by sight) evidence that I was born-again, as I was totally focused on fleshly things.  I could easily imagine someone saying, "He's not a 'true Christian'" then! (but they just weren't seeing the new life in me at that point)

Just my buck-two-ninety-eight on the matter . . .

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,222
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, Vine Abider said:

It seems to me that the focus of whether someone is a true Christian or not misses the mark a little, and here's why I think that.  I believe the real question is: are they regenerated with the life of God in them, aka born-again?  Asking if someone is a "true Christian" seems to often be more about their behavior, that is, are they acting like a child of God?

Now I do think it's true that when someone is born of God, the new life in them will manifest (although perhaps not in this life), and the word promises that at some point His work began in them will be finished.  However, and I know in my case, there were some definite periods in my life where you may have had trouble finding much outward (by sight) evidence that I was born-again, as I was totally focused on fleshly things.  I could easily imagine someone saying, "He's not a 'true Christian'" then! (but they just weren't seeing the new life in me at that point)

Just my buck-two-ninety-eight on the matter . . .

I agree VA,

the apostle Paul calls those believers - carnal, operating in the flesh and not the spirit.

`And i, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. I fed you milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? ` (1 Cor. 3: 1 - 3)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,495
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

14 hours ago, NConly said:

kjv

Acts 11

26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Does this count?

@NConly Such a good example of early, harmonious local church fellowship at Antioch in Acts.................

• Thumbs Up 1