• Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,631
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

What was it Forest Grump said?  "Stupid is as stupid does."

Well meet Mr. Stupid Does.

I'm just a tad beat up this morning. My back, my lower right side, my knees, and an elbow are  hurting, plus one knee well what can I say? It is just plain unhappy with the brains of the outfit, it being rather seriously hurting today.

Wha hap'nd?  It was simple enough I decided to not take a car to the car wash but instead wash it myself. Going to save money, and well I am tending two classic cars why not take care of the regular one too? 

So I dragged the hundred foot of hose, uncoiling it as I walked backwards with it. No problem, it is level terrain and I can tend the kinks  in it as I go.  Good thinking, not!

About 60 foot into the task I  heard a voice saying urgently "Turn around!" And As I fell into the hole  I was still thinking, "What for?" I spun as I stepped into a merely six inch hole where the water meter sits in my yard way below the thick turf. My left knee took the first jolt and crunched backward. I spun, reached out to protect my head as I hit the sidewalk on my knees, forearms and elbows. With forty foot of hose beating on top of me. Stunned but thinking, "Get up! Don't look totally stupid", I did manage that task, then saw that the bleeding wasn't all that bad. And so I washed the car as I washed off the blood as I went along and then went in to get some first aid from spouse.

She was kind, washed out the wounds,  bandaged me up, didn't even say "Stupid is as stupid does".

My angel, I think he  is still shaking his head.  Amazingly though, I had distinctly heard loudly urgently  "Stop! Turn around!" and there was no one there; 'cept evidently my angel on overtime duty.

Today I am back at it wiped down the dew off the newly washed car, but seriously thinking I should give up a lot of my wood working equipment, time to face that,  especially the table saw,  miter saw, and all the routers. Yep think so-

• Praying! 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

Praying for your healing and recovery. Regarding selling your stuff . . . take some time to recover, and then make your decision regarding those things.  I have made many a bad decision in the 'moment' of circumstances, and regretted those decisions later . . . 

Ray . . . 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18

Hi Ray, Good thought, waiting upon decision making.  I am in decision mode anyway, having to clear out some 40 years of stuff,  for a car the thing garages were actually intended for. I am trying to downsize belongings, but need additional space, sheds to hold stuff, or get rid of it to give it to someone that may better use it all today.

None the less waiting on final decisions is good advice.  My own "retinitis" probably will be the turning point in making decisions about using my power wood cutting and shaping tools anymore.  Don't need to be reshaping fingers, LOL.

I looked at sheds yesterday- they cost almost more than a house used to cost. I have enough plywood and siding on hand to build my own sheds, but maybe not the thing to do.  Time marches on  and the body well it just evidently isn't going to enjoy the march so much anymore. Perhaps more fun to see another have some joy  out of the equipment. 

I will  wait a bit as you have wisely advised. There's no hurry I guess. Probably won't build that  pole barn log home I have been thinking about either, LOL! The Lord has significantly blessed over the years, time to  enjoy time itself for what it is,  least for a bit. Otherwise, I am just beginning to realize, I am engaging in a form of "self meanification", where I cannot justify my existence  to myself by my working profitably at something physically productive. -Still fighting off that retirement mode, thinking  hey I am unemployed.

Thanks again for the caution.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,435
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Could I say "rough neck " . Yes, the will to get things done and not minding the little afflictions that come with the bravery, is part of a true tradesman or craftsman.  I think it is still in your blood, even at your age. There is a time though as you said, to bite the butllet and live with the memories or all those glorious projects and adventures that you were blessed with.

I myself love construction and have worked on a few huge project sites, one being an oil refinery. It is indeed a danger oriented field, but the thrill of working with numerous people, tools, equipment and others to bring a plant to production is pure energy for me.

Since moving to Canada, I have had to find work in another field ,as the brutal winter here is not for the faint hearted. I could have still managed, but I also loved electronics, which I did a one year course that set me on that journey now for the past 25yrs, and I like it just as much.  

Oh well, you still have fields that you can branch on to, and be less physical challenging. It will never replace your love for your hobbies, but it will keep you moving about with less of pitfalls that the more youthful can tolerate.  

Be, bless Neighbour and I, we, like your companay here at worthy and your sharing. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, warrior12 said:

I myself love construction and have worked on a few huge project sites, one being an oil refinery. It is indeed a danger oriented field, but the thrill of working with numerous people, tools, equipment and others to bring a plant to production is pure energy for me.

Hi, Fascinating addition to anyone's resume!  Yep pure energy, what a rush!

13 minutes ago, warrior12 said:

one being an oil refinery. It is indeed a danger oriented field,

Oh Yeah! I have lived around Navy fuel depot and the  Wilmington California refineries in the past. Nothing quite shakes things like a refinery tank explosion, or a Navy fuel solo launching 3,500 feet into the air. That kind of blast will knock you right out of bed for sure.

Those "fires " are incredibly dangerous for all in the area and a way serious challenge to the firefighters called to respond. Getting all the permits to build  a needed new USA refinery- lots of luck with that, eh?

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, warrior12 said:

"is pure energy for me"..........default_thumbsup.gif.10657acbc0e268ad7aa4cfc7c081768c.gif

Work  is the best narcotic!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,435
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

2 hours ago, Sower said:

"is pure energy for me"..........default_thumbsup.gif.10657acbc0e268ad7aa4cfc7c081768c.gif

Work  is the best narcotic!

At 64, I still have that energy driven mindset, cause my job as an Service Technician, mainly with Photcopiers and printers,  would present challengers that would keep your mind thinking of solutions, as they can be varied. 

The word "Jamming" is famous for those machines as paper has to pass through the machine, which does it reading and writing to the paper, which a myraid of problem can occur. 

Finding the solution in quick time, especially when you are at a customer location, means you gotta be "processing solutions" all the time.  Some are known, while others can pull hairs.     Hardware and software is involved, so you gotta know your stuff or reach out to the help forums .    Pure energy needed indeed. 

Sorry Neighbour, you just got me started with your post.   Ah, doing things and being satisfied with results is indeed plesant for the soul. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Sorry Neighbour, you just got me started with your post.   Ah, doing things and being satisfied with results is indeed plesant for the soul. 

Hi, Don't be sorry, no need at all. Yep some of  "us" do get to work with joy in the effort for a long time, while others hit the wall so to speak  quite younger. I tried to make 75, but fell short by a mere two months.

It was the perfect timing for another person, a young family man ready  for a career, whom I am pleased to know has taken on the tasks in an outstanding manner in service to our Lord and to his local body Of Christ Jesus.

I see it as part of God's sovereignty, over all matters big and small.

• Thanks 1