• Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,600
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 minutes ago, Who me said:

that seek to explore and apply scripture

Ah an ingredient to be added to a reading of the word, to make a "sermon"? Application, a touch at least of application.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18

I think that my own mind has a negative reaction to the word sermon. Sermon to me is I think more quickly thought  of  as that second definition a tedious and stern lecture of scoldings. While it seems to me the reading of the word of God is nothing at all like that.

I have cherished the opportunity  to gather over the years and have a person lead in the reading of the word along with well researched sharing  of it's historical context how it played out and what it may have  to do with me for today's benefit. That is work for which I do not have time, nor ability, like one assigned as a paster teacher preacher does as a full time occupation. When such a teacher shares I do not think  I am receiving a sermon, a scolding, nor a list of negative "rules".  So to call the gathering a sermon, well I don't know if that fits well.

Worship to me is singing praise of God, prayer is also praise and a crying out for one another before God, while a teaching or reading of the word is for edification through the understanding of it perhaps by the Holy Spirit's influence.

Somewhere in there comes the choice of following God or following a wordsmith's cleverness. The danger, I think, being  becoming taken up in the cleverness rather than the word; then championing the clever speaker rather than God.

Still working it through, trying to find a word with a working definition that fits better in my own mind anyway than sermon.

Well it is almost 4:00 AM,  peak thinking time for me. It is all downhill from there for  the day. LOL.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Well it is almost 4:00 AM,  peak thinking time for me. It is all downhill from there for  the day. LOL.

Your sermon about sermons is coming together quite well . . . :juggle:

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I enjoy much your wit.

• Haha 1

Guess I will add a thought before it is too much past 4:00 AM.  That being it is important, or actually vital, to have a common definition of at least key words and or phrases. Otherwise  "cross talk"  becomes a serious impediment to understanding one  of another.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

10 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Guess I will add a thought before it is too much past 4:00 AM.  That being it is important, or actually vital, to have a common definition of at least key words and or phrases. Otherwise  "cross talk"  becomes a serious impediment to understanding one  of another.

For sure, it's 8.11PM on Tuesday evening here, and we are heading into autumn. There were squalls in between bright sunshine during the day. I had a good Bible Study thread to work on and post here so it didn't bother me a bit. 

15 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

it's 8.11PM on Tuesday evening here, and we are heading into autumn.

What earth are you on? Surely it is spring everywhere. Isn't it?

You are not upside down too are you?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, Neighbor said:

What  is a sermon? 

sermon /sûr′mən/

noun

A religious discourse, especially one delivered as part of a service. 

An often lengthy and tedious speech of reproof or exhortation. 

A discourse or address; a talk; a writing. 

"the sermons of Chaucer"

Similar: talkwriting

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition • 

With that as a definition, just who plans to go hear a sermon? Not me I need not and do not want to hear what is a lengthy tedious reproof, nor exhortation. That is not a worship service, a corporate worship gathering of followers of Yeshua as I know them anyway.

So what is a worship gathering? To me it is a corporate meet of fellow believers, all called as result of  the reveal of Jesus  by the Holy Spirit.  It does have order, it is not chaos. It has a call to order, a time of prayer, worship in the form of music, and it does have a presentation of the word of God the Bible, word by word, verse by verse, book by  book; all for the purpose of education, edification, and use in daily life by each member of the gathered body. There is structure to worship, corporate worship meets.

So what is it not? It is not a happy talk session, of self elevation, nor  of motivational rah rah slogans and jingles. Worship is serious business, filled with joy, but also quite serious. Worship service is a high point, make that the high point, of each week; without which the body, mind, and soul suffers at least some for lack of it's vitality infusion.

I think vitality is key, a key word to use in description of worship services. For the word of God spoken, read, thoughtfully questioned and  considered  for best application, via exposition, is a builder of strength for use in all that is and will occur during the entire week, each week. The key to a good week, as a day, is a fine breakfast of corporate worship.

PRAISE GOD FOR THE NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES  TO GATHER ONE WITH ANOTHER IN CORPORATE WORSHIP!

Thank you for sharing this!  The Corporate Assembly . . . so important.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,147
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

17 hours ago, Michael37 said:

For sure, it's 8.11PM on Tuesday evening here, and we are heading into autumn. There were squalls in between bright sunshine during the day. I had a good Bible Study thread to work on and post here so it didn't bother me a bit. 

Ah, life on the other hemisphere of the world. The Coriolis effect is fascinating. 

It's good to leave a term like that undefined in order to encourage self-motivated illumination. There will be no "let me google that for you" this evening. :coffee: