• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,184
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  98

On 4/15/2024 at 4:52 PM, Starise said:

Maybe even more misunderstood than tongues generally speaking amongst mainline denominations.

Who would care to discuss this?

When the Lord opens up a vision --- the Almighty unfurls time and space like a scroll --- He explains what I need to know while the vision unfolds. Prophecy as forth telling is given when the Lord declares what I shall say as I observe myself in a vision. The vision itself is of an event that shall come to pass according to the timeframe He specifies; it always happens exactly at the time He declares it will, and the events are true to the vision. 

The truth often runs afoul of beliefs held by some so when I share that the Lord has related to me in such a way from the days of my youth, I don't share that lightly. I was a teenager when I experienced a dream that turned out to be a vision of an event 30 years into the future. What did I see? 

I saw myself in a strange house with drapes drawn to keep the sunlight out. I stood up and walked toward a mirror mounted on a closet door; when I arrived at that mirror, I saw a strange older man gazing back at me. He looked like skin and bones... his eyes were so tired in hollow sockets... and his hair was wispy. He opened his mouth and several teeth fell into his palm. I looked down into my palm and saw those rotted teeth in my own palm. I was the man in that mirror. 

30 years later, I had to hide from the strong sunlight because it made me feel faint. I avoided looking at myself in mirrors because I was crushed by what was happening to me. The events of that dream started to unfold... I stood and walked up to the mirror on the closet door in the hallway of my adopted mother's house, opened my mouth, and several teeth in my mouth fell out into the palm of my hand. I remembered the dream and wept in despair. I was indeed that man. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,184
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  98

Two years ago, the Lord declared that I would work as a peer support counselor. I couldn't fathom it, but He said that when the time came, I would know. What happened?

A colleague where I work left one day and never returned. He abandoned his job as our peer support counselor, and I remembered the words of the Lord regarding this. I submitted a resume for the vacant position and then immediately regretted doing it. "I hope they don't call upon me, Lord," I said to Him. "They won't select me. I'm needed right where I am."

They did indeed call upon me, and I was offered the position. Whatever the Lord declares comes to pass.

• Well Said! 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,094
  • Content Per Day:  9.73
  • Days Won:  149

I had something to share God had showed me to a man in my church. It was an image with a meaning. Then later in the service we had a person there with prophetic words for my church. The exact same thing  was relayed, and I mean exact.

Only one other person was aware of what I had said. They turned around and looked at me in church. Only  myself, the man and another friend were aware of it since I didn’t make it public.

I am “small fry” at the prophetic. It does seem to be occurring.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,971
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 hours ago, Starise said:

I had something to share God had showed me to a man in my church. It was an image with a meaning. Then later in the service we had a person there with prophetic words for my church. The exact same thing  was relayed, and I mean exact.

Only one other person was aware of what I had said. They turned around and looked at me in church. Only  myself, the man and another friend were aware of it since I didn’t make it public.

I am “small fry” at the prophetic. It does seem to be occurring.

Apart from the Bible this is the best resource on prophecy I have come across . . .

image.png.827bdd2cd51d544fa29ec3e5e2d3a51b.png

Prophecy in the Local Church: A Practical Handbook and Historical Overview: Amazon.co.uk: Pytches, David: 9780340595664: Books

Here are some quotes from Chapter 20 

"The fact that one of the spiritual gifts is for the discerning of spirits (1 Cor 12:10), and the rest of the congregation is told to weigh up the prophecies (1 Cor 14:29) is proof enough that Paul certainly did not believe that gifting in any way implied infallibility". 

"It is usually a mistake for prophets to be the ultimate authority in a group. A number of heterodox sects and groups have been led by "prophets" whose "inspired" statements led people astray . . . It is the place of prophets to prophesy, but it is the place of the heads of the community to judge prophecy." [Attributed to Bruce Yokum] 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 2

Hello Michael,

I will add the book to my list.

Read so far:

- Developing your Prophetic Gifting, Graham Cook

- The Gift Of Prophecy, Jack Deere

Reading now

- You All May Prophesy, Steve Thompson

I liked those first two books because they were from the vantage points of men who had the ‘gift’. That word ‘gift’ is not recommended by a few because it isn’t something we possess according to them the person is giving something they were given. IOW not inherent to the person. 
Not yet sure how I feel about that as even the Apostle Paul called them gifts. The gift of hearing the Lord in those unique ways. 

Churches ,individuals and kings have used prophets. Training for it almost doesn’t seem to exist in many parts of the world.Western religious thought has tended to discourage it, and sometimes because of a bad experience. The Bible never says false prophets are powerless, but I think we can use the word and discernment to weed them out.

Fallibility in the gift:

- Misinterpretation of a revelation leading to a bad answer.

- Sin in a prophet’s life can lead to demonic and personal distortions.Pride, immorality etc.

- Used as manipulation.

I have had things revealed I can’t yet explain. Just little snippets of things that I am convinced mean something.These have been mind pictures. The more mature prophets may know something and never feel led to reveal it. I was in a meeting the other week and had some ‘impressions’ I can’t confirm. Even if I could it wasn’t the sort of impression to share publicly. Praying about what to do with it.

In reiterating your references, prophecy should be supervised and discretion/ discernment is important. Congregations are led by pastors and oversight. No room for loose cannons.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Starise said:

I liked those first two books because they were from the vantage points of men who had the ‘gift’. That word ‘gift’ is not recommended by a few because it isn’t something we possess according to them the person is giving something they were given. IOW not inherent to the person. 

1Co 14:1 KJV Follow after charity (agape), and desire spiritual (pneumatikos )[gifts], but rather that ye may prophesy.

Yes, notice in the Greek above, what is to be followed and what is to be desired.

In this context speaking forth whatever the Holy Spirit gives is to be desired.

As you may know, when it is obvious a person has been called to serve in a particular function and endowed with the spiritual qualities to fulfill that function they themselves are a gift to the body of Christ. (Ephesians 4)

Apostles are sent forth for administration.

Prophets speak forth for edification, exhortation, and comfort.

Evangelists call forth for salvation, reconciliation, sanctification, and hope.

Pastors care for the flock.

Teachers educate the flock.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Michael37 said:

1Co 14:1 KJV Follow after charity (agape), and desire spiritual (pneumatikos )[gifts], but rather that ye may prophesy.

Yes, notice in the Greek above, what is to be followed and what is to be desired.

In this context speaking forth whatever the Holy Spirit gives is to be desired.

As you may know, when it is obvious a person has been called to serve in a particular function and endowed with the spiritual qualities to fulfill that function they themselves are a gift to the body of Christ. (Ephesians 4)

Apostles are sent forth for administration.

Prophets speak forth for edification, exhortation, and comfort.

Evangelists call forth for salvation, reconciliation, sanctification, and hope.

Pastors care for the flock.

Teachers educate the flock.

Good stuff.

As an aside, a potential translational misunderstanding of the term ‘gift’ can be more accurately called ‘ spiritual enablement’. 
We are to seek spiritual enablements referred to as gifts in English translations.

This is what the church in many areas of the world seems to be lacking. Ironically it is our empowerment by the Spirit for His work.

6 minutes ago, Starise said:

We are to seek spiritual enablements

Covet them earnestly, in fact. :tasty:

Oh now we’ve done it. Episcopalians will be speaking in tongues.

Which wouldn’t be a bad thing.😙

1 minute ago, Starise said:

Oh now we’ve done it. Episcopalians will be speaking in tongues.

Which wouldn’t be a bad thing.😙

Many of them do here, but if they are wise they don't butt heads against the standing orders that prohibit it in their services, but participate in the extra-curricular groups that meet outside the authority of their congregation and denomination.

Odd thing, Anglicans here voting yes to gay clergy but no to charismata.