• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,224
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 4/24/2024 at 9:33 PM, Neighbor said:

God is awesome. He provides my need perfectly, for  furthering my sanctification. I need not worry despite the woes of this world, for my hope is certain  in Christ, my Lord Jesus.

The fatalistic apathetic approach to living the Christ oriented life isn't going to establish disciples OR an abundant testimony.

The disciple of Christ lives in a real world with real problems and real challenges.

Denying the woes of the world won't do the Kingdom of God or people who are struggling without a savior a bit of good.

Worry is also a motivation for solutions.   It's time the church did bit more worrying and a lot less denial.

So stop sitting there on your Bible waiting for the rapture.  What if you're found to be among those who aren't worthy of a 'lift', but who may need a bit more stick than carrot?

Worry breeds champions.  The church needs a few today.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...   (Isaiah 6:9-10)

• Group:  Diamond Member

On 4/23/2024 at 6:46 AM, D. Adrien said:

From my reading of early 20th century history, the same mindset existed prior to the first world war. Anarchists, tension and a relaxed approach to diplomacy.

Yes.  The attitude today is frightenly similar.  

War is coming because everyone wants war...and none of those who want it realize what war really means.

Peaceful solutions need to be sought.  I remember President John F. Kennedy's efforts to establish peace as an international policy and legitimate goal.   He got a bullet in his head from American leadership as a result of his efforts.  

"The US government is the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today." (Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. circa 1966)

btw, some of the same people who murdered President Kennedy were involved in killing Rev. King.

This is no theory.  Multiple witnesses have testified to the involvement of those who preferred war between American races and war between America and the world.  Dozens of those who testified were also slain.

America leads the pack of insane dogs who prosecute war across the planet.

and when it comes America will get a belly full of it.   

There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.” (Sun Tzu, The Art of War)

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...   (Isaiah 6:9-10)

• Well Said! 1

On 4/25/2024 at 5:17 AM, Neighbor said:

God has raised up many a notable warrior, even tellin g of how He has used them mightily and then often returning them to their previous standing. Their military use perhaps being the high point of their service to God.

The most famous of world war one USA heros was  of Quaker heritage. There is an old  and classic movie about his amazing service to the military and his fellow soldiers of the USA,  Sargeant  York. we have had a US president that was Quaker and had served in the US Navy, President Richard M. Nixon.

I cnnot identify with the  denigration  of those that serve willingly or  by way  of draft boards. Though it is  good warning that came from a brilliant Soldier General Dwight D. Eisenhower that warned of the extreme dangers to  the military and the country that the military -industrial  complex poses to  freedom itself.

I have respect for all , ALL, that have served their country in the sacrifice that it is to be  in the military for my own benefit. The memories of those that gave life itself,  in causes heralded by civilian leadership that had no direct threat to themselves, cries out for better citizen selection of it's leaders. It does not cry against  the honor of soldiers; the honoring of them all being well deserved by all that do get to live a daily life of secure affluence like never before known to any society.  What is needed is better involvement by all civilians in their government leadership selection.

Very naive, very patriotic, very uninformed.

The most highly decorated Marine Corps General in US history, Smedley D. Butler understood all too well the real nature of the US Marine Corps and US foreign policy in general when he concluded after his retirement in 1931 that;
"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service, and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism."

There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.” (Sun Tzu, The Art of War)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. (JESUS CHRIST Matt 5:9)

Do you worship the Son of God or do you worship the government?  Those who live by the sword will die by the sword.  Those who live by the Spirit of God will inherit immortality.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...  (Isaiah 6:9-10)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,723
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 4/27/2024 at 3:10 PM, choir loft said:

Worry breeds champions

Matthew 6 seems to put the torch to that thought.

"Very naive, very patriotic, very uninformed."

Hey thanks for the compliment. 

Anytime the discussion gets around to patriotism I recall the 169 families I dealt with in arranging the funerals of that many that were killed in combat at Vietnam; the first I encounterd was during 1964 the last was in 1972.

Now there was a cause that was indeed suspect, with oh so many drafted into it. Yet those that fought were heroic in an effort whose justification may have been seriously faulty. One can be seriously appreciative of a citizen's sacrifices made including death itself, without being either naive, nor a government toady.

Hard to deal with survival assistance officers and the families of the fallen in combat and remain naive.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 9:03 AM, Neighbor said:

Matthew 6 seems to put the torch to that thought.

According to commentaries on the subject verses 25-34 are meant to be interpreted in the light of faith in God and what God can provide.  

The Bible is generally self-interpreting.  

This is true in verse 32 where Gentiles are compared to Jews.  Gentiles don't believe in or depend upon God to provide their needs.  Jews do believe.  Jews do depend upon God (Adonai).  Gentiles (non-Jews) are constantly anxious.

Does this imply we are not to plan for the future?  It does not.

Does this suggest the church should adopt an attitude of complacency?  It doesn't.

I've sat in churches where the pastor has spoken of the virtues of contentment.  Two weeks later he's voicing his own complaint that the congregation is too apathetic.  I've shared this before and it bears repeating.

Does this apathetic attitude imply a man ought not be deeply concerned AND WORRIED about his spiritual and physical relationship with God (Adonai)?   A big NO for this question too.

Worry not about God...and suffer the Second Death.

Do worry and Do repent and one will receive forgiveness and a release from the burden of anxiety.  That's how it works.

Hope this helps.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft... (Isaiah 6:9-10)

Edited by choir loft

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 9:20 AM, Neighbor said:

Anytime the discussion gets around to patriotism I recall the 169 families I dealt with in arranging the funerals of that many that were killed in combat at Vietnam; the first I encounterd was during 1964 the last was in 1972.

Now there was a cause that was indeed suspect, with oh so many drafted into it. Yet those that fought were heroic in an effort whose justification may have been seriously faulty. One can be seriously appreciative of a citizen's sacrifices made including death itself, without being either naive, nor a government toady.

Hard to deal with survival assistance officers and the families of the fallen in combat and remain naive.

You are referring to a war that need not have been fought - Viet Nam.

That was a civil war and had nothing to do with American interests except those thrust upon the civilian population by war mongering defense contractors and generals eager for blood and glory.

Those that died in the Viet Nam war shouldn't have gone to war in the first place.  I lost several good friends, who might be alive today if not for that violation of human rights both American and Vietnamese.

Heroism is a term used by chickenhawk civilians who never wore a uniform, who never went in harm's way and who never suffered a permanent disability as a result of military service (as I did).  For those of us who served, it is usually admitted we only did our duty....as flagrantly immoral as that duty might have been.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. (JESUS CHRIST Matt 5:9)

Saigon fell a year after I returned home.  On that day I burned my uniforms.  Several veterans of those years asked me, "why did it take you so long?"  One of them got off his plane and headed to the men's bathroom intending to exchange his uniforms for civilian clothing...and to leave his government issue in the toilet.  When he entered the men's bathroom he saw dozens of uniforms hanging everywhere.  Another vet told me he and his friends went outside a California city, buried their uniforms in the desert and got stinking drunk.

The only time I was ever proud of my military service was when I was drunk.

Patriotism is a word misapplied and misunderstood....usually by those who don't have to risk their own lives to live it.

As for me, I worship God NOT THE GOVERNMENT.   I learned that God kept me alive even as the government tried to kill me and my buddies.

Patriotism is a four letter word in my book.  Why isn't it the same for you?

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. (JESUS CHRIST Matt 5:9)

Do you seek and glorify war or do you pray for peace?   If you don't pray for peace WHY NOT?

that's me, hollering from the choir loft..  (Isaiah 6:9-10)

Edited by choir loft
  • Thumbs Up 1