Keith

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Well it seems that this subject has made many stop and really think about what t.v. ,or if t.v. profits us anything. Right now, the way I am still feeling, is no it does not have anything to offer. Most of what I see is the deception that lies in front of us all. I'm sad and sorry to say that I have for at least a good 6 months to 1 year been lulled into spiritual apathy. I won't blame it all on the "tube," but I'd be foolish if I thought it wasn't somewhat to blame. This week has not been a good one for me. I have slipped into gloom and was slipping even before the "challenge." I can honestly say that this thread and challenge have done something to uplift me. For that, I am very grateful. I have felt nothing for so long, it's good to feel even the flicker of a small spark.I made it through 2 nights without it and hope tonight will be the 3rd. I have some very interesting books to start reading and if they are good, I'll mention their names so others might be interested in reading them. They are about the Lord and this is a much needed "time spender," for me. Please continue to pray for my success in this endeavor. Love in Christ Jesus, ........jmh137

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  363
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

So, how do you feel about television? What do you think are it's positives/negatives? What do you watch? I mean, what do you really watch? (This is the area I was talking about when I said that television is the most lied about subject by both Christians and unbelievers!)

I think television is mostly garbage. A few years back I went two years without TV. That is absolutely nothing. Since then, I watch 1 hour of tv per day. This is so I can see the news, I don't read the newspaper, so this is how I keep up with what's going on in the world. As for DVD's, I watch very few. And what I do watch is old stuff, I am currently collecting I Love Lucy, I have the first five years of the show. I watch one, maybe two episodes over the course of a week. I also like old movies. For example, I just recently watched a movie staring Lucille Ball called "Lured". It was filmed in 1947. Plus I have a ton of science & nature DVD's, from places like The Discovery Channel or TLC. I have a DVD player that will play all regions. I have friends in Scotland that send me DVD's and I watch them. But, I don't generally watch DVD's, that's a rare treat to myself. I am single & live alone so it's easy for me to shut off the tv completely.

in Him;

corey

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

For twenty plus years, I have tried to get my wife to simply 'chuck the set out' and live without TV. SHE WON'T DO IT!!!

I tend to watch too much TV. I like the Simpsons, but mostly I watch either one of the Christian channels, or documentaries (although I also like Antiques Roadshow--which has displaced Wheel of Fortune in my viewing!).

Once in a great while I see an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, According to Jim, or reruns of Andy Griffith, but mostly everything on every channel is useless...or worse, outright harmful!

I agree that a lot of shows out there are useless and some can be harmful however if you choose the right shows, I see nothing wrong with a T.V.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Here's my TV viewing:

Of the morning if I'm home, I'll watch The Beverly Hillbillies on WGN. Usually I will watch The Rockford Files thereafter and maybe Matlock. If one of the older shows is on Sci-Fi when I'm home, I'll watch it. Past that, if I catch The Wilburn Brothers Show or The Porter Wagoner Show on RFD-TV, I'll watch them. Other than that I will on occasion watch VHS copies of classic wrestling from the 70's/80's that re-aired a few years back on local TV. I spend most of time either working or on here, lol!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I think TV can be either very positive or very negative. It depends how you use it.

I love my TV and would never turn it off for a whole month! No way, I couldn't do it.

I should also tell you we subscribe to Sky Angel. It is a satellite dish with all christian programing. Every movie, every program is safe for my kids to watch, I don't have to worry when the TV is on. The best thing about it is it only costs about $15.00/month.

I can listen to a bible study while I clean or prepare supper. Many times I watch a program with my Bible and pen in hand.

In Christ,

CarolineS

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Oh gosh, you started me on my t.v rant. :) Sorry - I feel as strongly about it as you do. :21:

I'll think about your challenge, but I'd miss the food channel and DIY. :emot-hug:

Thanks for the comments, WIP! That's why I asked the question about how TV may be influencing our sense of humor and what we find "funny." The TV Challenge is there for anyone who wants to take it. If people don't, that's perfectly fine, of course!

I agree with you. I think sports have become almost a religion in itself and can take up waaaay too much of people's time. You only have to look at a TV guide to see how big sports are and how much time people spend watching it. This is slightly off topic but also the fact that sports stars get paid sooo much while people who work long, hard hours to help people, like nurses etc, paid so little compared to, say, David Beckham etc. I guess that shows how much people idolise them.

I'm not really into sports though...the only sports I really have any interest in are rugby, ice hockey and basketball. The latter two are rarely on terrestrial TV in the UK so I very rarely get to see them. The friends I have that are into sports have a very healthy Lord centred life and would happily miss a sports game to go to church, so I'm glad they're not one of the people you're talking about, though I know exactly the type!

darkest red,

Another thing that gets me about the priority of sports in this country is how a sporting event will interrupt regular viewing so it can be aired. There's nothing wrong with watching and enjoying sports. Not at all. I just think that far too many people take it to extremes and it becomes extremely important to them. There have been riots when teams haven't won big games... at least with some high school and college level sports.

Well it seems that this subject has made many stop and really think about what t.v. ,or if t.v. profits us anything. Right now, the way I am still feeling, is no it does not have anything to offer. Most of what I see is the deception that lies in front of us all. I'm sad and sorry to say that I have for at least a good 6 months to 1 year been lulled into spiritual apathy. I won't blame it all on the "tube," but I'd be foolish if I thought it wasn't somewhat to blame. This week has not been a good one for me. I have slipped into gloom and was slipping even before the "challenge." I can honestly say that this thread and challenge have done something to uplift me. For that, I am very grateful. I have felt nothing for so long, it's good to feel even the flicker of a small spark.I made it through 2 nights without it and hope tonight will be the 3rd. I have some very interesting books to start reading and if they are good, I'll mention their names so others might be interested in reading them. They are about the Lord and this is a much needed "time spender," for me. Please continue to pray for my success in this endeavor. Love in Christ Jesus, ........jmh137

Well done, jmh137! Congrats on turning off the tube! Don't feel alone in the spiritual apathy department, either. So many people are there with you. That's one of the reasons I love Worthy so much is because it's an outreach for people to connect with other believers, be lifted up and encouraged, even when they're home alone or just feel alone!! You're still in prayer!

"Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you..." James 4:8

I think television is mostly garbage. A few years back I went two years without TV. That is absolutely nothing. Since then, I watch 1 hour of tv per day. This is so I can see the news, I don't read the newspaper, so this is how I keep up with what's going on in the world. As for DVD's, I watch very few. And what I do watch is old stuff, I am currently collecting I Love Lucy, I have the first five years of the show. I watch one, maybe two episodes over the course of a week. I also like old movies. For example, I just recently watched a movie staring Lucille Ball called "Lured". It was filmed in 1947. Plus I have a ton of science & nature DVD's, from places like The Discovery Channel or TLC. I have a DVD player that will play all regions. I have friends in Scotland that send me DVD's and I watch them. But, I don't generally watch DVD's, that's a rare treat to myself. I am single & live alone so it's easy for me to shut off the tv completely.

in Him;

corey

Great job, Corey! Sounds like you've put some thought into your viewing habits. That's all anyone could ask! :emot-hug:

I agree that a lot of shows out there are useless and some can be harmful however if you choose the right shows, I see nothing wrong with a T.V.

I agree with you. If a person is making conscious choices and monitors their viewing habits then there certainly is nothing wrong with enjoying some time in front of the TV.