• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Democrats propose Bible course for public schools

Two Democratic leaders of Alabama's House of Representatives introduced legislation that would authorize local boards of education to offer a course in Bible literacy as an elective in grades 10-12.

The bill, expected to pass both legislative chambers without opposition, would make Alabama the first state to offer a Bible curriculum in a public education setting.

The legislation, introduced by Speaker Seth Hammett and Majority Leader Ken Guin, refers to use of a course called "The Bible and Its Influence," with an accompanying textbook authored by Cullen Schippe and Chuck Stetson and published by the Bible Literacy Project.

The text does not approach the Bible as a devotional study but as an academic exercise, examining its influence on Western civilization, including literature, art, history and public policy.

The textbook, released earlier this year, has been praised by educators, as well as Christian and Jewish leaders, for its depth of research, accuracy and fairness.

Contributing author Marc Stern, general counsel for the American Jewish Congress, said the text "will serve as an excellent and even-handed introduction to the Bible."

Leland Ryken, professor of English at Wheaton College in Illinois, Billy Graham's alma mater, called the textbook "an undisputed triumph in scholarship and presentation. I learned something new on virtually every page."

Majority Leader Guin, the author of the bill, said it's imperative that children be "imparted with the scholastic knowledge of the Bible that is being lost between our generations." He pointed out that 98 percent of high school English teachers believe Bible literacy gives students a distinct educational advantage, and more than 60 percent of the allusions on the Advanced Placement English Literature exam have a biblical basis, but only 8 percent of American students in public schools report that their school offered an elective course on the Bible.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0

If the dems start doing things like that, I'll change my political affiliation.

You should have seen my face with I read this. :huh: This article, indeed this proposal, is a ray of hope in a secular-minded world. :wub:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I wonder which translation they will study?

Why go down that road? It sounds like an invitation to a debate. Or worse yet, to bring one on to watch. I'm just being honest here, bro. Some of your comments have been known to do these things. My point is, there is no productive answer to your question. The fact that they are proposing a Bible course for public schools is cause for praise, not debate.

Why go down that road? It sounds like an invitation to a debate. Or worse yet, to bring one on to watch. I'm just being honest here, bro. Some of your comments have been known to do these things. My point is, there is no productive answer to your question. The fact that they are proposing a Bible course for public schools is cause for praise, not debate.

What if they decide to use the latest version wih a female god and so on. What's the point of having a discussion forum if you can't have a discussion? :wub:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

You should have seen my face with I read this. :24: This article, indeed this proposal, is a ray of hope in a secular-minded world. :wub:

Mine too Keith, I pray it's true.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

If the dems start doing things like that, I'll change my political affiliation.

I won't because they still stand behind abortion and gay rights, however this is a good sign.

What if they decide to use the latest version wih a female god and so on. What's the point of having a discussion forum if you can't have a discussion? :wub:

Was that really your first thought when you read the article? They'll use the female god version? Bro, I love ya and love having you here, but give me some credit....

Was that really your first thought when you read the article? They'll use the female god version? Bro, I love ya and love having you here, but give me some credit....

We'll see. They are democrats, eh?