irish

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have not been here long enough to ask a question in the controversial section of the forum so I will ask it here.

A movie whose purpose is to prove that Jesus Christ never existed and that demonizes Christian fundamentalists is scheduled to open on June 6, 2006

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

I have not been here long enough to ask a question in the controversial section of the forum so I will ask it here.

A movie whose purpose is to prove that Jesus Christ never existed and that demonizes Christian fundamentalists is scheduled to open on June 6, 2006

• Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

I wouldn't say his works were "widely" believed to be forgery. From what I understand (though I have only recently started studying this), there are some of his writings that were possibly embelished by early believers, however there are other writings that have been authenticated.

I was only referring to Josephus' only(?) mention of Christ, which, while "forgery" may be a bit strong, "embelished" may be a bit of an understatement . I didn't mean all of his works were forgeries. Sorry for any confusion caused on my part.

Unfortunately, Josephus, too was only going on what he had been told.

For me, however, the strongest evidence for the existence of Christ is the persecution and death of the Apostles and other early followers. Why would they die for something they knew was a lie? Perhaps not the most persuasive argument, but it works for me :)

• Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

'Gain credibility?' With what scholars? He would be very very hard pressed indeed to find one credible scholar who would even attempt to build a case that Jesus was a fictional character. There is simply more historical evidence for Jesus, than for ANY fact of the ancient world. Unless we are prepared to throw away all history texts and proclaim we can know nothing at all about the past, we must also accept the historical facts about Jesus.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

'Gain credibility?' With what scholars? He would be very very hard pressed indeed to find one credible scholar who would even attempt to build a case that Jesus was a fictional character. There is simply more historical evidence for Jesus, than for ANY fact of the ancient world. Unless we are prepared to throw away all history texts and proclaim we can know nothing at all about the past, we must also accept the historical facts about Jesus.

Leonard, please tell me about the historical evidence you speak of here of perhaps a link.

Arsonist, you make a very good point with the persecution and death of the Apostles.

Tess, I will put those books on my Christmas wish list, thanks.

LarryT, I feel it is very important to address each and every question asked of us, for if we show weakness in our reasoning how we can show strength in our faith.

My personal belief does not allow any doubt of Christ

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Leonard: There is simply more historical evidence for Jesus, than for ANY fact of the ancient world.

Perhaps you could cite some.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

When confronting atheists on line I do not expect to thaw out their hardened hearts but I do know that my answers are being watched by a hundred other eyes and hearts that are seeking the Lord.

Careful, my friend. We should always expect to thaw out a hardened heart. It's why we spread the message in the first place.

We should be ready to defend our faith, of course, and you brought up a very good point in your OP. Things will get worse in regards to "scholars" and their ever-increasing ways to discredit the Bible. If it wasn't so, then the Bible would be lying, for it predicts this in the verses that larryt cited, as well as others.

Remember the key: Deut 29:29.

Christ will come back, have no fear. In the meantime, let's be ready and seek out those that may be seeking.

You just never know just who that may include.

Love,

t.