IGNORED

Christian Metal

Guest skeezix

Guest Living Sacrifice

I used to be a big fan of hardcore/metal Christian bands like Zao, Hopesfall, Living Sacrifice, Norma Jean, and many others; however, I've been listening to a lot of softer music these days. I love anything that uplifts my Lord, although some Christian bands sing on other issues like sin, depression, funny stuff, and girls... there's nothing wrong with that in my eyes. Would you rather have your kid listen to a secular view of those topics or a Christian view? I thought so... :P

I go to a Southern Baptist church were most of the older people, though they are awesome, are somewhat closed-minded. A lot of them dislike the acoustic guitar and think that the only way to worship God is by singing hymns and using the piano. I'm sorry to say, but I don't think God sees it that way.

I have always been told Christians ought not talk, act, or be like the world, which is true; however no matter what you wear... your going to look like the world. Jesus looked like the world when he walked this earth. If I wear a suit, tie, and tuck my shirt in, or if I wear a black shirt and a pair of pants, I'm going to look like the world (though I'm honestly not of this world... Amen!)

I got off track. I know a lot of people think P.O.D. and other bands like that are not Christian because of their appearance or music, but like it or not, I know God is pleased with what they are doing. P.O.D. went to the Ozzfest and I heard reports that some got saved. Amen! I have been uplifted by P.O.D.'s music many, many, many times.

I know and do feel you should not be yoked with unbelievers, but it comes a time when we got to get out of the church and into the world and show these people you don't have to look like a certain way to please God, or know Jesus. God looks at hearts people... hearts! He does not look to see if you hair is perfectly combed, if you have shaved, or what you are wearing.

I know I'm so chasing rabbits here... but I will say a lot of bands in the Christian scene are not that strong spiritually... but some are. I have heard some not say a single word about Jesus or God; however, I have heard some preach the gospel as well as quote scripture and give testimonies. Amen!

How can anyone say that their can be country gospel... but not Christian rock? I think that's a double standard. I hear people say their can't be Christian rap. Why? Because you don't like it? If God's Word is being preached by a guy who wears baggy pants and gold chains... Amen! Gos is pleased with that guy no matter if you think he looks like a gang member, or however you view him.

I truly feel God is pleased with some of these hardcore bands who go out into the world and share this heavy sound of music to a dark world with a positive Light... my Jesus!

You can bash any style of music or appearance... but watch out... you might become a Pharisee. I didn't mean to attack anyone, or anyone's view... just share my opinion.

In Christ and with Love,

Dustin Neal

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  3

I'm tired of that stupid bell piano sound that has been done in CCM since the 80s.

I don't really consider myself an old foggy, but what is a bell piano sound??

BTW, I like Ted Pierce, y'all heard of him?? :t2:

Guest shilou

We just went to an outdoor four day christian music festival a couple of weeks ago. What I was truly dissapointed by was not the music with the younger crowd but the dress. Here I am at home trying to tell my 13 year old daughter that all the make up and tight, tight pants with short shirts is inappropriate and then I take them to a christian festival and the female singers are wearing what I said no to. I do believe that if anyone is in the position that kids are going to look to them as examples then they need to be aware of it, and do what is acceptable to the Lord. I don't care what kind of music your playing if your dress code is one that exibits sexuality then it is wrong. Now I have a thirteen year old at home trying to justify this kind of dress pointing to these other people and saying they dress that way and their christians. Our kids wanted posters and autographs of some of the singers. We said no simply because they are doing the worldly thing and turning these bands and people into idols.

There was one group Jump 5 that had so much activity going on on the stage that if you asked me afterwards what they were singing about I couldn't have told you because I got all caught up in the show they were putting on. I'm an adult looking for the message in the music, and I personally think we are going a bit to far to replicate the music and styles of the world and getting off the whole point of music that is for worship. There is becoming a wide berth between music that is for the worship of the Lord and christian music that is entertaining. So for each of us individually it would come down to am I seeking to worship God in this music, or am I seeking entertainment? I guess only our hearts knows the answer.

In Yeshua's Love

Shilou

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I hear you, Shilou!

the Christian music industry is in big need of :blink: !

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

when i say christian metal, im not talkin about stryper or creed, any 9 year old with a year of sunday school under their belt could write that junk....

the stuff i listen to is actually pretty deep.... and VERY CLEAR on the message...

Skeezix,

Well obviously you know nothing of Creed's music. So please enlighten us with what you consider Christian Metals deep lyrics....

- Steve

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/25/1972

"Christian Metal" does not grace my CD collection, and probably never will. The hardest thing I have I would say is Petra or Third Day. I see too many people in that genre of music trying to reach a world by being too much like it, setting up a double standard.

If I have to go to an album jacket to figure out the basics what's being sung...that loses a lot of points. In POD and some of these others, I can't understand one thing they're singing in any of their songs. After all, I don't get to "look it up" at a concert. And every big name secular group is exactly the same sound...yelling, screaming, can't understand one thing being said, etc.. So where's the difference? Christian or not, I don't get why anyone likes this style of music anyhow...makes no sense...maybe that's the musician in me coming out. After I got saved, I threw all my stuff out like this, and I don't intend to bring it back.

And what Shilo pointed out is so true. We're trying to teach kids right from wrong and good values and morals as Christian parents, yet when our kids see what these "Christian" artists are doing/wearing, our kids come back with "they're Christians and they're doing it..." It's a double standard. I believe that we're called to be separate, in the world not of it. In one of the books of Peter it talks about modesty in dress, etc. What Shilo pointed out sounds like it goes against all that.

Call me an "old" (31 in October) fuddy-duddy, but I don't care for this musical genre in Christian music. The industry needs an overhaul. There is much good out there, good writers and performers who live up to the name of Christ, but there's enough other junk out there to warrant an overhaul.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Very true Bill. :blink: