IGNORED

Are there modern day Prophets and Healers?

susansduval

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

Please don't get me wrong, I am not judging. I am just searching. I realize many people believe in different ways what is real and what is not. Some things are very CLEAR in the bible and some are not, this subject is definitely one of those that is not really clear. As I read through all the posts I'm realizing just how different everyone thinks. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what other people THINK...what matters is only what the Bible says...I thought that my post had some very clear Bible verses, but search out your own answers in the Bible. The Bible is where the only complete truths can be found.

Edited by InternalFlame

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  07/15/1959

Please don't get me wrong, I am not judging. I am just searching. I realize many people believe in different ways what is real and what is not. Some things are very CLEAR in the bible and some are not, this subject is definitely one of those that is not really clear. As I read through all the posts I'm realizing just how different everyone thinks. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what other people THINK...what matters is only what the Bible says...I thought that my post had some very clear Bible verses, but search out your own answers in the Bible. The Bible is where the only complete truths can be found.

You are very right that it doesn't matter what people think. It is in fact, the truth that is written in the Bible. Thank You for making me realize this! Really! I went back and read your post again. I have also been doing some searching on my own and allot of praying. My intuition tells me to stay away.

I would like to add that when my friend asked me what I thought I was honest and told him I was uncomfortable and didn't plan on returning. He said that when he first started going there he felt the same way but over time got "used" to it. I feel that when a person walks into a church (any church) should feel at home, it's really not a place you should have to get used to.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

You are very right that it doesn't matter what people think. It is in fact, the truth that is written in the Bible. Thank You for making me realize this! Really! I went back and read your post again. I have also been doing some searching on my own and allot of praying. My intuition tells me to stay away.

I would like to add that when my friend asked me what I thought I was honest and told him I was uncomfortable and didn't plan on returning. He said that when he first started going there he felt the same way but over time got "used" to it. I feel that when a person walks into a church (any church) should feel at home, it's really not a place you should have to get used to.

I think overall, this is a wise approach. Although as we read of Asland in C.S. Lewis, "He is never safe....", in just the same way, God has certainly been known to make all of us feel a little 'uncomfortable' at times!'

Blessings.

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  422
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

Please don't get me wrong, I am not judging. I am just searching. I realize many people believe in different ways what is real and what is not. Some things are very CLEAR in the bible and some are not, this subject is definitely one of those that is not really clear. As I read through all the posts I'm realizing just how different everyone thinks. :wacko:

I am glad I could help you, and also happy you could find some clairity in this :24:. Read the Bible for answers, and trust God to lead you...he will never lead you wrong ;)

My son pointed this out to me today: Acts 2:14-21 :) What I get out of this is that we will all prophesy, not just a chosen few. My instincts are still more on the "beware" side of the service I attended the other night.

14Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! 16No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17" 'In the last days, God says,

I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

Your sons and daughters will prophesy,

your young men will see visions,

your old men will dream dreams.

18Even on my servants, both men and women,

I will pour out my Spirit in those days,

and they will prophesy.

19I will show wonders in the heaven above

and signs on the earth below,

blood and fire and billows of smoke.

20The sun will be turned to darkness

and the moon to blood

before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.

21And everyone who calls

on the name of the Lord will be saved.'[c]

Edited by susansduval

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

[Well, I'm sure there are prophets and healers today; however I'm a little leary of those who proclaim themselves prophets]

The scriptures are very clear that Jesus established in the New Testament 5 ministry positions, and among evangelist, pastor, and teacher (which most of us would certainly admit seam to be still in us in the church these days).

The book of acts records clearly that there were prophets in the early church. The elimination of these humble servants of the Lord from recognition as even EXISTING is kind of silly. If God sends ones, God will certainly validate that the prophet is comi9ng at the Lord's bidding.

Here's an example...

I personally know of a church of about 400 members that had a misbehaving pastor (the pastor was in secret sin). No one in the church knew about the sin. God sent a nobody, and unknown youth that gave a word of prophecy to the church in front of them all on a thursday night service in which the word was "I will remove you from this congregation, and this congregation shall not have to suffer you." Two days later, senior members of this church were driving in another city with their wives, found the pastors vehicle parked in front of a homosexual bar, and walking in, found the pastor dancing with a man. The next day (Sunday, the third day after the prophecy, the pastor resigned from the church that he had pastored for 19 years. Prior to this event, the Lord had given the young prophet a song to sing to this pastor from Ezekiel 34, and the pastor trembled when he herd the song. Today, this same prophet is as unknown as he ever was, yet this occurred over 20 years ago.

Even a child is known by his works, whether his work be good or evil. I wonder at the strange standard that we require of prophets but don't require of pastors and teachers. I believe that we (the church) will certainly see a lot more of these kind of ministery works from unknown or little known ministers of God in the coming days, because if the bride is ever to make herself ready, we must purge out the leaven, and the shameless self promotion that many ministers do, the selling of the ministry that Jesus shed His blood to offer freely to a lost world is a serious error that many of us have allowed in ignorance.

Just my opinion

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  526
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/03/1961

Hi susansduval,

if indeed you are born of God, having received Christ and the Holy Spirit according to the word and will of the Father, and in an alleged christian service you feel grievously uncomfortable, leave and don't go back. The Spirit of God will lead you and urge you. Personally, when I feel like that in a church flying the christian banner, I consider it a warning that all is not as advertised.

Thank You all for your input! :rofl:

As a new believer I am finding out, as I get to know God better and my relationship with Him grows, He really doesn't work in "mysterious" ways, it's right there in front of me!

It's been awhile since I went to that service and I haven't been back to that chuch. There is no doubt in my mind that it's the right thing to do. :24:

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  397

I attended a service last night that a friend invited me to. It was at a place called "Healing Room Ministries". The speaker said he was a Prophet. He said God speaks to him. He said he had a vision or a dream about being taken to the Cross and watching Jesus wash away the sins in his "book of life" with His (Jesus's) blood.

I am i fairly new believer as some of you already know. Right now, and throughout the service last night all I could think of was how the Bible tells us to beware of false Prophets and Teachers. I don't think God literally speaks to us. I believe how he speaks to us is more in directing and showing us. Am I way off here? Confusion is not something I handle well. I need clarity.

Also at this service I saw some strange things and people do strange things I have never seen before. There was a couple of men in the audience that were jerking around and yelling. Especially when the speaker said something that the audience thought to be a powerful statement. Then the speaker called upon a couple of people in the crowd (by name so he knew them), they walked forward and I can't even explain what happened next. He (the speaker) put his hands on these people and said something, i can't remember what exactly and the people would pass out and fall to the floor!

I can't even begin to tell you how uncomfortable this made me. Scared me actually. I had three other friends with me and they all felt the same way. The friend that invited us truely believes the this is all true. He says that the people in the audience that were jerking around and yelling were speaking from the Holy Spirit. That they couldn't stop it if they wanted to.

I know it says in Scripture that when the Holy Spirit enters we may (at least back then) speak in tongues or laguages we have never learned. There was no foriegn langauges spoken here, just a bunch of yelling and literally "flopping" around.

My "gut" feeling on this is, it was not real, although these people, including my friend (the one who invited us) believe it.

I'm asking for some help here! :thumbsup: Please! Scripture based or even some opinions. Thank You!

Susan, did the speaker prophesy in the manner "Thus saith the Lord" or spoke for God in the first person (ie And the Lord spoke to me saying "Do not forsake me my children. I have seen your works....")?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  397

The reason I asked the question above is because the prophets of today do not prophesy in that manner. In the Old Testament the Spirit of God had not yet dwelt in man...That is why prophesy occured in first person...as if you were speaking for the person. That was why they prophesied "Thus saith the Lord!".

Now in the NT the Spirit of God dwells inside us; our spirit and His Spirit have become one. Therefore, it is very strange that one would prophesy in the manner as "thus saith the Lord" or "'My children, why have you forsaken me?' says the Lord". For the God has grafted himself into our life so when one should prophesy for the Lord, it is usually in their own words and personality. The word comes from within us; not from outside of us.

When one prophesizes in this manner "'Return to me my children. I have great things awaiting you!' for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken." (first person) it is very questionable.

Prophecy today is in summary speaking forth the Lord. It is usually in the form of timely messages and interpretation of scripture that would apply to us in the present situation. Prophesy does not add onto scripture but it uses it. Unless one is prophesying to an individual, a prophecy spoken without the concurrent use of scripture is very questionable.

The Lord has already spoken to us through the Word. There are no new revelations that we can add onto the end times that has not been written in the book of Revelation. It is the Holy Spirit leading us and speaking to us.

When someone shows how the scriptures applies to us and especially in the time we are in.....it is NOT a simple analogy or some rhetorical device. This is a prophecy. The Word of God is living and it is the sword of the Spirit.