• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/15/1990

As some of you know I've got a pastor who said some pretty unbiblical things (see post 'is this important or am i overreacting?') to explain why the church was going to an inter-faith worship service (she said stuff like 'Christians will worship God in the person of Jesus and Muslims and Jews will worship God.' and 'It's not different gods just a different understanding of the one true God.') Most of the replys said to run from the church just leave and not not go back because what the pastor said was so out of line with the gospel. I'm 14, can't drive, my parents would take the request to go to a friends church as a personal insult, and this is the only thing that has ever come up I might not leave if I had the means to. Well it was pretty well established that this is important and need be dealt with in some way. So how does a 14 year old kid go about confronting a 50 year old pastor about Biblical issues? Do I just go talk to my pastor and see what happens? Do I ask an adult in the church about this and ask them to confront the pastor? Do I just drop it since it would be unwise to confront her myself and not listen when she's preaching? (we have 2 other pastors so that would be a rarity anyway.) What should I do? Any ideas would be helpful. I'm pretty lost as to what to do next. :):thumbsup::)

-Katie

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Much Grace to you little sister. :thumbsup:

KatieK,

First off pray. Sincerely pray and ask the Lords guidance.

Secondly the Word states that we are to honor our parents. That if we will Love the Lords Word and try to follow all His precepts. He will then Bless us. He then is in a position to Bless us.

The Lord knows your heart. :) Also your concern to honor the Truth of His Word.

Follow His precepts.

Ask Him, Jesus Christ, when the right time to approach your parents over this would be. Then Honor, Love, and Cherish your parents. Giving them place to be a Blessing in your life.

You might be surprised at what God will do?

I will be praying for you.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Don't be afraid to go and confront your pastor directly. It does not matter how old we are...whether we are 10 or 100, God will work through us.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. You do not need to know what to say or how to say it, when you are there trust that the Lord will speak through you. It is when we are absolutely incapable that the Lord's grace can work powerfully through us. This is because we cannot give any credit at all to ourselves; all the glory must go to God.

I have gone through a similar situation the past week. At the end of the conversation you may feel that it went horribly but you should know that the Lord looks at our heart and sees what we do from within there and not what we do on the outside. It may seem that your pastor may not seriously take your word, but you should know that you have implanted a seed in your pastor. A tiny seed will eventually grow into a large tree.

Simply obey the voice of the Lord; take courage and go into action. The Lord will not force you to do anything but he will make the arrangement for it to be possible. We must obey the Lord; not man.

Prayers and grace will go before you.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

David and Goliath?

KatieK,

You can't be the only one who feels this way in your church, there must be others who see the deception. I say strength in numbers (and God is a big number! :thumbsup: ) try talk to other church members, I'm sure you'll find some who agree with you but are also unsure of what to do. If you do find others like you then you should gather together and approach the pastor and the pastor must show you Biblical proof of her statements. God has given you this right!!! Regardless of how young you are you still deserve the truth of God and anyone who tells you a different story other than God's Word must be approached. Talk to your parents and explain your point to them, ask them what they think.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

David and Goliath?

KatieK,

You can't be the only one who feels this way in your church, there must be others who see the deception. I say strength in numbers (and God is a big number! :thumbsup: ) try talk to other church members, I'm sure you'll find some who agree with you but are also unsure of what to do. If you do find others like you then you should gather together and approach the pastor and the pastor must show you Biblical proof of her statements. God has given you this right!!! Regardless of how young you are you still deserve the truth of God and anyone who tells you a different story other than God's Word must be approached. Talk to your parents and explain your point to them, ask them what they think.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

This is VERY BAD ADVICE!!!

The LAST thing you want to do is 'sneak around behind the leader's back'! In your shoes, I think your only alternative at this point is to arrange your Scriptural arguments on a piece of paper, and ask to discuss them with YOUR PARENTS. They are the ones who can make a decision at this time; NOT YOU! You are under their authority and responsibility in this matter, and if they choose to do nothing, you must wait until they grant you the freedom of going to church where you want to.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Continue to study on your own and pray. Beyond that, continue to obey your parents, they are your authority and God will hold them accountable for their decisions. While much of what you've shared about your church is disturbing, it does not release you from your responsibility to follow where your parents are leading. You can speak up and share your thoughts, but remain obedient and respectful. Pray that God will open their eyes and hearts to the truth. Pray that He'll reveal it to them and others within the church. In my opinion, it is not your place to forego your parents to confront the pastor. If your parents were in agreement and gave you permission, that would be another story. But based on the circumstances, I think it's not your place to do it.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/15/1990

Well uh I guess I should have been more clear about my parents. They could care less about what is said at church they just don't want to look bad. They don't want people to look down on them or something because their daughter doesn't even go to church with them. My parents are not Christians, they do not believe in Jesus, they don't except the Bible as the word of God. Why should I bring this before them. What good could it do? They would only be encouraged to continue in their wrong beliefs because a pastor who is supposed to be an authority on such matters and thinks the same thing. Did I miss the memo that my parents are not only in an authority over my worldly life but over the spiritual too?! Why are they in authority over my church life? seriously where is that stated in the Word or is there a whole lot more to honor then I thought? It's a really scary thought that they would be in charge of my spiritual given their own standing with God. I have brought this issue up once before. I mentioned that I might need to talk to the pastor and mom was ok with it. Leaving the church would be a problem not talking.

Even if most people on worthy said I should leave my church I never really intended to seek out the possibility. As I said we have 2 other awesome pastors who I think would be shocked and angered by what the pastor in question said. They are very biblical, they encourage the congregation to read the Bible and try to understand for themselves. Both of my other pastors have given sermons showing how Jesus is the Only way to the Father. I know they are 4 real. The youth group is good to.

So to restate my question since I am not trying to leave my church: What should I do? If ya'll still think I should take this to my non-christian parents please give me a solid reason why. If it's not my place who's is it? should I just drop it? Should I go talk to the pastor?

still unsure

-Katie

Sister,

God has already given you the grace and wisdom through His Holy Spirit. What you have just said is truly something revealed to you by God. The Lord calls us to obey His voice and not the voice of man. We should rather please God than please man.

Honoring your parents is pleasing to God. But honoring them does not mean giving your spiritual life to them. The Holy Spirit will guide you...even if you are unclear about what to do in your mind.

Believe that the Lord will provide you with the scriptures at the perfect time. Believe that He will give you the words to speak.

The grace of the Lord is with us!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Continue to study on your own and pray. Beyond that, continue to obey your parents, they are your authority and God will hold them accountable for their decisions. While much of what you've shared about your church is disturbing, it does not release you from your responsibility to follow where your parents are leading. You can speak up and share your thoughts, but remain obedient and respectful. Pray that God will open their eyes and hearts to the truth. Pray that He'll reveal it to them and others within the church. In my opinion, it is not your place to forego your parents to confront the pastor. If your parents were in agreement and gave you permission, that would be another story. But based on the circumstances, I think it's not your place to do it.

Thank you Tess, for saying it far better than I did........

Colosians 4:6

Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

I know that the Lord has given us our parents for a purpose. Usually what our parents command us and nag us about are weaknesses that we have. If we abide in Christ Jesus then our obediance to our parents will give us blessings on the earth.

However, honor and obediance to parents has nothing to do with being led by them. Romans 8:14 "Because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God". We are led by the Spirit of God. If a child's parents are satanist should the child follow wherever they go?...this is being led by our parents. Of course not.

Katie, you can speak directly to both your parents and the pastor. Remember that we should please God and not man.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this...

"In my opinion, it is not your place to forego your parents to confront the pastor. If your parents were in agreement and gave you permission, that would be another story. "

Matthew 4:21-22

....he [Jesus] saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. There were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and IMMEDIATELY they left the boat and their father and FOLLOWED him.

If the Lord prompts you to speak with your pastor, you should follow Him. Imagine if James and John didn't follow Christ but stayed with their father... They would have missed out on a lot.