• Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

I would be interested in hearing what you all think of this article:

Why Jews Are Losing Their Birthright

Prof. Paul Eidelberg

[eidelberg@foundation1.org]

Why are Jews losing their birthright? The most fundamental reason will be found in Israel's Declaration of Independence of 1948.

The first sentence states: "Eretz Yisrael was the birthplace of the Jewish people." This suggests that the Jews did not become a people until the conquest of the land of Canaan by Joshua, and therefore, only after the Law-Giving at Mount Sinai. Yet the children of Israel are repeatedly referred to as a people even before their exodus from Egypt, as well as during their wanderings in the Great Wilderness. In fact, they are also called a "nation." Thus: "What great nation has laws and social rules so righteous as this Torah?" (Deuteronomy 4:8.)

Underlying the statement "Eretz Yisrael was the birthplace of the Jewish people" is the notion of "territorial nationalism." This means that possession of a distinct area of land is a precondition of nationhood. What made the Jews a nation, however, was not land so much as the Torah. It was only the Torah that preserved the Jews as a nation despite their having been without a land (and without a state) for almost 2,000 years.

Viewed in this light, the opening sentence of Israel's Declaration of Independence suggests that the secular Zionists who founded the State of Israel sought to diminish the Torah as the ultimate source of Jewish national identity, that source from which the Jewish People derive their exclusive title to the Land of Israel.

The document continues: "Here they ... created cultural values of national and universal significance and gave to the world the eternal Book of Books." To contend that the Jews "created" cultural values of national and universal significance is tacitly to deny the divine origin of the Torah. Consistent therewith, the document makes no explicit reference to G-d.

Having tacitly denied the Torah's divine origin, and having omitted G-d from Israel's Declaration of Independence, on what grounds did its authors justify the establishment of the Jewish State? They appealed to "historic right," "natural right," and international law (the League of Nation's Mandate, which affirmed the Balfour Declaration, and UN Resolution of November 1947.) I have elsewhere shown that each of these grounds is problematic. Surely the G-d of Israel is the most powerful justification for Jewish (and non-negotiable) possession of the Land of Israel!

Now we can understand the fundamental cause of the policy of "land for peace" -- of Oslo and the Road Map to a Palestinian state -- i.e., the truncation of the Land of Israel! All the criticism of that policy will have no effect whatever on events unless those who utter such criticism affirm and speak in terms of the Torah!

Territorial nationalism was the motif of secular Zionists. Jews, they said, must have their own territory and their own state if they are to achieve security as well as dignity. Yet what do we see? A "territory" they have, a "state" they have, but where is their security, and where is their dignity! Indeed, the more Jews focus on security (or on peace) the more it will elude them. Their only true security is with G-d, whose Name was omitted from the document that proclaimed the establishment of the Jewish State. And so they are losing their G-d given land to those who worship Allah.

Lacking Torah statesmen, Israel today is governed by fools and scoundrels whose power is perpetuated by an utterly corrupt political system. It matters very little which party or party leader is at the helm. Ineptitude and self-aggrandizement will continue, sanctified by the false god of democracy.

The Torah demands more than Torah learning; it demands unity of thought and action. This unity will require a complete overhaul of Israel's governing institutions guided by Torah principles and values. This should be the primary concern of Jews who reject the Road Map to a Palestinian state.

[ Published: 08 August 2003 ]

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

A very thought-provoking article, DE. Yes, I see the government of Israel, and

the whole system really, being corrupt and, of the dreaded democracy. But, the sadest thing is that they blotted out the Name of the One who rescued them from The Egyptians, and who got them through the 40 years in the

wilderness, and who conquered the landof Canaan for them. This was, of course, YHWH.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The first sentence states: "Eretz Yisrael was the birthplace of the Jewish people." This suggests that the Jews did not become a people until the conquest of the land of Canaan by Joshua, and therefore, only after the Law-Giving at Mount Sinai. Yet the children of Israel are repeatedly referred to as a people even before their exodus from Egypt, as well as during their wanderings in the Great Wilderness. In fact, they are also called a "nation."

Well, this can be debated. Isaac and Jacob were born in the land God gave to Abraham. I'm not exactly sure where Jacob's sons were born. But Jacob did return to the land sworn to Abraham and finished raising his family there. So, the foundation of the nation indeed was established there before the "Jewish people" multiplied in Egypt.

I'll hang out and let everyone else battle the rest out.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Quote from Neb:

Well, this can be debated. Isaac and Jacob were born in the land God gave to Abraham. I'm not exactly sure where Jacob's sons were born. But Jacob did return to the land sworn to Abraham and finished raising his family there. So, the foundation of the nation indeed was established there before the "Jewish people" multiplied in Egypt.

I'll hang out and let everyone else battle the rest out.

I believe Jacob's sons were born in the Land of Canaan, I think. I'll have to go

look that up in the Bible.

I have a feel this will be a really interest topic to discuss, with many different viewpoints.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

I will go with Nebula.

The covenant was made with Abraham. It was to him and his seed that the earth was to be blessed. It was to him that God showed the land and said, "for all the land which you see I give to you and your descendants forever" Gen 13:15.

All of this was done before the Hebrews became Israel or Jews. They are still the same people however and the covenant was reaffirmed with Isaac.

I believe that God will bring about His purposes for Israel and all of mankind in the way He sees fit. He has obviously used the secular Zionists to establish the state, just as He is using the Christian Zionists to help bring the people back.

It is a falsety to say that the Jews are losing their birthright. That can never happen no matter how apostate the nation becomes.

• 5 weeks later...