• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I think he's talking about the "seeker-friendly" movement and I'd agree with that.

I know . . . I was just being a little ornery. :24:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I have never been to a "mega Church

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1987

I am going to a fairly large church right now while I am at college... It doesn't have a building yet.... but it holds its Sunday service in a middle-school auditorium, (and has two services back to back to have room for all the people).

One thing that they do that gives acess to small-group fellowship is that.. "small groups". Bible-studies of a lot of little groups, during the week. I think that these are an awesome thing, and it's too bad that many SMALL churches don't have them... or any size church, for that matter.... I have seen these groups at my church now.. and at the non-denominational church in the same city....

My city has about 61,000 in it... so it's not BIG... but not little, either....

When you get to have thousands and thousands of members, I think with good doctrine and teaching, it could work... as long as you work to have the community there- the connections between people.... without that, there is no fellowship... and then you may as well watch church on TV.... (and I am NOT advocating that!)

My aunt's old church was really huge... and there was just no way to get to know everyone.... and basically, there was no sense of a close fellowship of believers. (plus, the building was huge enough I could easily get lost in it)

anyway. That's all I have to say right now.

~Danette~

Guest stevej

I originally came from one of those mega churches before it came to be a mega church. When we first started there Sunday Services were 175 people. The theology at best was weak. When the pastor left and the new pastor came in with a vision and conservative Bible teaching the church flourished. The church through all the problems 35 years later is considered a mega church. Although things were done that many thought were unscriptural the church has weathered those storms and continues to be a beacon in their community. The pastor who brought this church around retired as pastor some 5 or 6 years ago. Time will tell if they continue on the path that he led them.

Edited by stevej

I was surprised the other day. Joel Osteen explained briefly how to be Born Again. (John3:3)

Man, that's great! I have been praying for him...praying that God would inspire him to teach rightly. My prayer has now been answered. I hope he'll continue to pursue a fuller expository of the gospel.

That's truly good news. He's our brother and he loves the Lord but he's had a real problem with offering only a "positive" confession gospel.

I'm so glad that finally he's come around. That's truly great news!

Considering that his dad was one of the biggest "prosperity gospel" proponents, Joel has already come a long way. Keep praying for him to lose any fear of man. I believe he's trying to serve God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I think the whole issue comes down to how did the church experience growth. Was it a genuine move of God or a case of ingenious marketing. You can build a church with PR skills because the general public is pretty naive, they have no real discernment. They all want to be apart of something successful overnight. They become blind to the shallowness. However, there are many large churches that are the result of faithful preaching and reaching. But, in most of the cases I am aware it was not overnight but decades.

Guest stevej
I think the whole issue comes down to how did the church experience growth. Was it a genuine move of God or a case of ingenious marketing. You can build a church with PR skills because the general public is pretty naive, they have no real discernment. They all want to be apart of something successful overnight. They become blind to the shallowness. However, there are many large churches that are the result of faithful preaching and reaching. But, in most of the cases I am aware it was not overnight but decades.

David, In the particular church i mention you are correct it took 20 years for them to achieve a mega church status. As i also noted some of the methods of getting there were not the best, but the conservative Bible teaching remained for as long as i was associated with the church.

Steve

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/02/1988

I got to disagree with this.Why,I am from Singapore and a megachurch.I have no idea what the American MegaChurches are up to.But here in Singapore.Theology is not shallow,nor is the church attracting people with hype.It takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole bunch.

City Harvest Church