• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Is it possible that much of what was called demon possession in Scripture was actually epilepsy (Example: Mark 9:14-19)? From a reverse angle, is what we are calling schizophrenia actually demon possession?Are there severe cases of addiction that could be termed demonic possession accurately? If so, is that why the professional community struggles in treating the preceding because it is a spiritual issue not a medical issue? If not how can the spiritual issues be isolated from the medical?

Edited by David from New Bern

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/07/1980

There is a book called Strength For His People that deals with issues of demon possession, and mental illness. To read more about the book, you can go to: http://www.schizophrenia.com/media/strength.htm My mother ordered this book a few weeks ago, and then she is sending it out here, I would be more than happy to give it someone else..... take care

Aaron

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

I would say that it's both mental and physical. Some mental illnesses I would think are just, that due to our fallen nature and diesese prone bodies. But then on the other side of things, some illnesses are inflicted by demonic powers and possession can come across as schizophrenia and other such illnesses - and having been possessed myself, I can tell you from experience that you do appear schizophrenic at times!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Go get the book, "Hostage to the Devil," by Malichi Martin.

He outline's in detail, the differences between mental disorders and demonic possession.

Demonic possession is real, have no doubt about it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Is it possible that much of what was called demon possession in Scripture was actually epilepsy (Example: Mark 9:14-19)? From a reverse angle, is what we are calling schizophrenia actually demon possession?Are there severe cases of addiction that could be termed demonic possession accurately? If so, is that why the professional community struggles in treating the preceding because it is a spiritual issue not a medical issue? If not how can the spiritual issues be isolated from the medical?

I think we need to look at this as the two being the same. Demons do not infect the material world solely. They also affect how people think, act, and function. Paul refers to a messenger of Satan buffeting him....to "buffet" in the Greek means to strik someone in the eye. This means Paul probably struggled with some eye disease that was sent to him by a demon. In modern times this coul dbe cured....otherwise known as a miracle. There is nothing wrong with medicine curing something the Devil has caused...it is God using the men and women He has created to combat the forces of evil.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  682
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Fascinating topic.

Can a person kick their demons out on their own?

Can a good psychotherapist kick demons out of her clients or help them to kick the demons out?

Can a psychotropic drug kick demons out?

For those who have been demon-possessed: How do you know what you experienced was not psychosis?

For those who have experienced mental illness: How do you know that you weren't demon-possessed?

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

*nods* I think there are times when it is demon posession and times when it is medical. I wouldn't say that it's JUST one or the other for every situation.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  682
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

*nods* I think there are times when it is demon posession and times when it is medical. I wouldn't say that it's JUST one or the other for every situation.

Why not? Where's the distinction?

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

I'm still curious as to why the natural cannot solve the spiritual and vise versa. :emot-hug:

We believe that there can be spiritual healings, or that demons can ruin our health...in other words we have no problem believing that the spiritual world can either help or hinder the physical world. Why then, could the opposite not be true? Could the physial world aid or hinder the spiritual world? If this is true, if it is a two-way street, then why could medical technologies or practices not solve for certain posessions or spiritual problems?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Can a person kick their demons out on their own?

For those who have been demon-possessed: How do you know what you experienced was not psychosis?

In answer to the first question: No, quite simply. Only God has that power and where drugs/medicine may well appear to help on the outside by maybe hindering the demons access the full bodily control, I don't think any technique or medicine can remove a demon against it's will.

As for the second question; in my case I knew it was something evil and something not natural. One thing I was always certain of was that it wasn't my mind going. The demon may we have tried to get me to think I was just going crazy but you could tell there was more to it than that. Aside from that, there were many other factors that gave it away as not being a mental illness one of the main ones being that my parents were into the occult and did rituals over me while I slept.

Praise God we're all saved now!