• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1980

At times when I pray I feel like I am talking too much, the words Jesus spoke about prayer pop in my mind. When he says the Lords prayer, and then says not to ask for anything because the Father already knows what you need. Lately I have been living by, "thy Will be done" meaning I trust that what God has planned for my life will go according to His plan no matter what I pray about, He already knows..... I am just kind of wondering, if this is the case, do I need to pray for anything?? I will always give praise to Him, and Glorify Him, and be in absolute AWE of his being, but is it neccessary to pray for my mom to be safe, or for that job interview tommorow, or any other need, or should I just be comforted in kowing that He already knows what I need?? Thank you so much for any clarity.

God Bless

Aaron

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Someone (either here or in class) said "the point of prayer is not your requests but the One who hears them." (or something like that) Anyway, I thought that was really wise. Yes, I think it's still important to tell God your specific requests.

If you're worried about it, I suggest picking up a Book of Common Prayer and read through some of the prayers in there. I've found it really helpful :P

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Gredat advice Iryssa :P

Aaronjm,

The bible says "pray without ceasing".. therefore commanding to always pray.. to continue in prayer...

As for asking God for things, the bible says "Ask and it shall be given unto you"..and the bible talks about how God will answer prayer.. I will give you those verses as soon as I find them.. God is good and answers prayer :whistling:

I don't think Jesus meant not to ask, but rather... that God alreayd knows our hearts.. and our needs.. but he wants us to come to him.. many times, the reason I we don't seen God work is because we don't...

Think of prayer as calling home everyday... He is your heavenly father.. actually.. the Bible calls him the Everlasting Father... Think of a father here on this earth... the father not only wants ot be glorified..and lifted up and respected.. but a father wants to hear the problems his children have... He wants to knwo all about them and help..

The Lord is the same way. He is that father who corrects us when are wrong, guides us on the right path because he already knows what is ahead... and he is constantly there longing for us to just talk to him..

Yes, we do need to tell God our prayer requests... he longs to hear them... "Ask and it shall be given unto you, seek and ye shall find.. knock and the door will be opened unto you".. .He is a loving God <_< Tell God your requests :P Ask him for guidance about prayer :33: My God is still in the prayer answering business :)

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

This thread reminds me of a story.

Two five years olds were walking home from sunday school and the first boy asked his mate, " do you pray every day?"

the second boy said, "no, not every day."

So the first boy asked, "why don't you pray every day?"

The second boy answered," Well some days I don't want anything."

I wonder how many adult christians adopt that attitiude..... aaronjm, that was a good question.

Even though our cup overfloweth, our heavenly father still desires we pray every day, as you say, to give thanks honour and glory, for being what we are, where we are, who we are and where His promise tells we will be going. We cannot take God for granted as some do.

Good post and good responses.

eric.

Prayer is a very important part of our walk. It's how we stay connected.

Just look at it this way....what if you never talked to your parents? You knew they were there, you just never talked to them. It's the same way with God. You get to know Him through prayer. It's like all your friends, you never knew them until you started talking to them.

That's how I look at prayer. And yeah, He does answer prayers.

He's made a believer. :P

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/07/1980

Thank you so much, you have me a lot.

Aaron