ray

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

I am in a job in which I were a suite so to strike up conversation I now were a small fish badge on my lapel

Why not just act in an ethical manner, even when it costs you much at the job? This too would strike up conversation, and provide the inherent actions to back it up.

I'm not picking on Ricky here, but I do want to say that this is another reason why I'm against "Christian clothing." Too often Christians see it as a way to witness to other people.....once again....Jesus said people would know us and He would knows us by a few things:

1) Love for one another

2) Love for all people

3) Love towards God

Now, in all these instances, love is a verb, something that is performed. He never said people would know us by our shirts...but He did often speak of wolves in sheeps clothing....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

When I wear Christian's attire, it is for the sole purpose of letting people know that I'm a Christian and to let them curious about God and would eventually seek Him in some way.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/23/1973

Personally I think the satiric shirts are great. I remember in College. A friend of mine wore a "LORD'S GYM" T-Shirt. A take on the "Gold's Gym" shirts. It was a conversation starter. I think that Christian Shirts are awesome. In this world where we are more ignored than spoken too. And folks just look down rather than forward. A shirt that resembles a regular logo shirt, that upon closer inspection reveals a message from G-d, is great. It is one thing to walk the walk of a Christian with those you know. It is another to have a chance to converse with a stranger. Who, I gather, would not give you a second glance if not for the clothes you wore when you met him or her. I for one would love a SURVIVOR parody shirt I saw. I just need to shed a few pounds. Please pray that I do.

It is funny. My Jewish, unsaved, Aunt always nags me to lose weight. Imagine what I will wear when I do lose a few pounds.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I am in a job in which I were a suite so to strike up conversation I now were a small fish badge on my lapel

Why not just act in an ethical manner, even when it costs you much at the job? This too would strike up conversation, and provide the inherent actions to back it up.

I'm not picking on Ricky here, but I do want to say that this is another reason why I'm against "Christian clothing." Too often Christians see it as a way to witness to other people.....once again....Jesus said people would know us and He would knows us by a few things:

1) Love for one another

2) Love for all people

3) Love towards God

Now, in all these instances, love is a verb, something that is performed. He never said people would know us by our shirts...but He did often speak of wolves in sheeps clothing....

I could be wrong. I know it's happened once or twice in the past, but it looks as though you are looking at this as a black and white issue.

I personally use my good christian Ts to strike up conversation, not as a witness to themselves. As an example I will tell you what happened with my drummer one gig.

We, (my drummer and I) were standing at the bar having a beer. I had my "Only one of these people can save your soul" Tshirt on and he commented that it was a cool Tshirt. On the front it has everyone from ollie North to Superman to the Beatles to Stalin and so on. He liked all the celebrities that were on it. Since he was so interested, I turned around and showed him the highlighted picture of Jesus on the back with the caption "only one".

He stepped back and paused for a moment, then proceeded to tell me how vulnerable he feels and how he needed to be free from certain vices. Then he asked me to pray for him.

This was due to a Tshirt, in a bar. Now he hasn't come right out and changed his life yet but that particular instance has opened a door for me to discuss his spiritual well being with him.

When I put on one of those Tshirts, I consider myself a living billboard for Jesus. :blink:

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Yeah, I think that Christian T-shirts and whatnot are great in many circumstances...stories like Gerioke's are a perfect example for this. I've used them as a conversation starter too (especially in High School, since people were always looking at what other people were wearing to begin with)...I do think, however, that we need to be careful to know that people ARE looking more closely at us while we're wearing these things. I can't count the number of times that I've been rudely cut off (sometimes nearly winding up in a collision) by someone with a Jesus fish on the back of their car! How does that help anyone? If anything, it's detrimental to your witness.

Basically, that's great, wear those things, put them on your car, whatever...but don't expect them to be a witness FOR you. :)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/11/1964

Perhaps others won't care (except to other believers who may say "I like your shirt" in an effort to identify themselves...), but it IS an outreach of sorts. Beats seeing scuzzy filth and near nudity.

Likewise, I don't ahve to have "John 3:16" on my shirt in order to make it less immodest. There are many clothing companies out there that are still modest. Besides...are you seriously going to tell me that when a girl wears a t-shirt that is cammo and says, "I *heart* Jesus" in pink on the front (on her bust) that it's promoting modesty? I hate to be so graphic but it is the equivalent to saying, "Look at my chest AND love Jesus!"

I am not saying all Christian clothing is wrong...just the vast majority. :)

I agree with you there. The world has no sense of modesty and it's something we need to teach our young people.

Anyone know any sites that sell modest clothing (like longer skirts and skorts, comfy tops that cover, etc)? I'm not looking for a burkha, just some moodest, good-looking clothing that I can wear when I'm out and about. Thx. :)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

So what about people wearing Christian wear when they aren't Christian? They might be wearing it to be facetious: Sort of to say "well it doesn't mean anything because you have a fish on your t-shirt, I do too".

I have seen a range of "send up" t-shirts. Ones with very much "anti-Christian" messages on them. From a distance they look like normal Christian t-shirts but you have a closer look and they are quite different.

It really used to mean something if somebody wore something like a crucifix pendant for example, until they became a "fashion statement" and "every man and his dog" was wearing one.

Does that demean the whole thing?