• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

'Ovedya'

Does yhis have anything to do with the thread about suicide, which was closed?

Giaour

In a vague kind of way but I think it is more important to focus on Samsons self sacrifice as an act of answering his call from God.

Openly Curious

It is very important to look at Samson in the way that you have described for nothing is impossible "with" God

OC

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Butero'

I have been reading this thread, and even if the idea for it came from the one about suicide, so what? The story of Samson is right out of the Bible. What is wrong with someone discussing whether his death was herioic? Personally, I think that it was. He did make a decision to give up his own life in order to destroy a large number of Philisteans, the enemy of his own people. It seems to me like he knew he would no longer be able to defeat them in the manner he could earlier when he still had his sight, so he wanted to commit one final act that would help deliver his people. God heard his request, and the rest is history.

Openly Curious

Yes Samson is right out of the bible and if someone wants to talk Samson I hope they will give their responses as the thread is on Samson the great man of God. And you are right as Samson just wanted to whip the Philistines one last time as they plucked out his eyes and he had no eyesight left and would not be able to fight against them as before. But his God showed up and used him even in his blindness. If that does not show that it was the Spirit of God being with Him he could not have done it on his own not being blind and if I was Samson and the enemy of God plucked out my eyes I would be zealously affected myself.

OC

'Tess'

Because if it did, it is somewhat disingenuous to start another thread so that a person can continue advocating something they started in another thread which got closed for a reason. If it's about something entirely different, or has an entirely different point...that's one thing. But I think Ovedya and some others (including myself) were just wondering about the intentions of this topic, considering how the other one went. I think it's a valid question, honestly.

Openly Curious

Tess the topic is on Samson now if you want to talk about Samson and have anything to contribute I will welcome any responses you have and for the record I "did not" start the thread that was closed.

OC

'Giaour'

GIVING up your life for the glory of God is quite different than suicide

Samson gave up his life, soldiers give up their lives, Jesus gave up his life ALL for the GLORY of God.

Self-sacrifice is totally different than suicide.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Look, I'm not going to tip-toe around like everyone else. Stop treating us like we're idiots. We know you created this thread to continue the suicide discussion (which left off with Samson). At least be honest and don't treat us like idiots who can't see past your smoke screen.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

apothanein kerdos'

Neither...it was obedience.

Openly Curious,

If it was obedience what was his life in his death heroic or failure? What would you call it???

I just don't get your point in the four words that you have given

God bless

OC

If one obeys it is neither a success or failure. It is neither heroic or failure. It is merely one man obeying what his purpose was. Samson failed at certain things, but in the end obeyed and submitting himself to God. If that is heroic...then we are all heroic.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.Romans 12:1NKJV

'Giaour'

Not that my opinion counts for anything but UNTIL this thread gets nasty, I think it is a valid discussion to have.

'Openly Curious'

ms nebula thank you for your response but my question and discussion is on the death of Samson was it heroic act or a failure on his part. It was not about the afterlife different subject altogher.

nebula

I know - did I sound like I was thinking of that? :th_praying:

Openly Curious

Yes it did sound like to me it when you stated "Whatever he made of his life" and stated "It doesn't state in scripture of his spiritual life" Those comments is why I said what I did I wasn't sure if you were referring to his spirit life after he died or not so I said to you "the subject was not on the "afterlife" but on if his death was it heroic or a failure" just in case this was what you were saying I see that you know.

nebula

The funny thing about asking if his final act was heroic or a failure is that the final act fits together with the story of his life - to leave out the preceding events that led him to that point does not convey the entire message.

Failures led him to that point.

But to the Israelites in that day, he died a hero.

Openly Curious

To me today Samson died a valiant warrior in the army of God

Openly Curious'

ms nebula In Samson zeal to destroy the Philistines who were the children of Israel's enemies. This was a feat that had risks involved with in it. Samson I do not think was thinking on those risks at the time but only destroying the enemies of God.

nebula

I appologize, but I am not following your train of thought here. If he wasn't thinking of the risks, why did he cry to the Lord, "Allow me to die with the Philistines?"

Openly Curious

I said I do not think that is an opinion but I think in his zeal for God he would even give his life if that is what it took to destroy the enemies of God it is no different from those who are in war they just want the enemy dead. That was Samson heart as with any valiant warrior of battle would have. Even though a soldier is willing to give their life up if need be they'll die for the sake of another. But the soldier knows of the risks but not all soldiers die in the war. The really great and heroic soldiers aren't thinking of the risks sure they exist but their zeal is just to whip the enemy to destroy them.

Openly Curious And you should not get that desire muddled up in your thinking. Samson sure he pushed down the pillars in the temple for a fact. But it was not by his own strenghth and power that reside within a mere human man. It was God himself that came upon the human vessel of Samson in the form of His Spirit and destroyed the Philistines himself and not Samson. But when people witness and testify to that event in history they see the man Samson in whom God used to bring about his will on His enemies. That is why it is said of Samson in his death he killed more of the Philistines than when he was alive.

But the Lord gave Samson that strength to complete the task at Sampson's request. The Lord didn't make Sampson push the pillars down, Sampson asked the Lord to enable him to do so.

nebula

So, I have a hard time seeing this as "God killed Sampson." :huh:

'eric'

I agree with you, Butero. Any biblical topic is worthy of discussion. This OC's thread, she opened it, but I think that now she has criticised everyone else's response,it would be a good time if she expressed her own opinion and how she derived at that opinion.

Myself, I am inclined to agree with AK, OC keeps on about it being God's strength. I consider it was Samaon's strengh, granted to him, in answer to his prayer for being obedient to destroy God's enemies. Just like Moses, Joshua and every other gtreat men of God, Samson was chosen by God for a purpose and as they were all obedient in carrying out the purposes,so was Samson.

'apothanein kerdos'

Look, I'm not going to tip-toe around like everyone else. Stop treating us like we're idiots. We know you created this thread to continue the suicide discussion (which left off with Samson). At least be honest and don't treat us like idiots who can't see past your smoke screen.

Openly Curious

I am not treating anyone like an idiot. I started this thread to talk about Samson the topic was pretty simple and is not on the subject of suicide as the other thread was. But if Samson death was a heroic one or a failure and If you have any thing worth while to contribute it will be welcome. And yes Samson did come up in the other thread that was closed. I want to talk Samson if you do join in and stop all the accusations.

OC