• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I think it could be taken either way, Curious. On one hand, his entire life turned out to be a failure in that he wasted it on Delilah and sinful living. Think of what a great tool he could have been, more than what he already was. Yet on the other hand I think we see a foretaste of what Christ would do-giving his own life so that his people might be saved. I will see what others have to say as well but at this point, I believe it would be a toss-up.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

Neither...it was obedience.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,181
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I think it was both.....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I think the admirable thing about Samson that gives him special status among the Biblical character. He was willing for the Lord to use him in his circumstances. Most would have prayed for deliverance, he prayed for one last opportunity to glorify God with his life. That kind of humility is rare. Someone has said, it is how we finish the race that really matters. If that is true, he finished well.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Ronald

I think it could be taken either way, Curious. On one hand, his entire life turned out to be a failure in that he wasted it on Delilah and sinful living.

Openly Curious

I don't think his "entire" life turned out to be a failure. Sure he fell into the sin with Delilah but that fault he was overtaken in was what got his strenghth from God gone which was a Nazerite vow he took that said a razor couldn't come on your head (that signified power one's head in his consecration and seperation to God but that is another subject).

Samson entire life was not wrapped around delilah and sinful living as you have stated. There are some really funny things(in my opinion) that Samson did in his zealousness for God that you can read having nothing but dedication towards God

a few are slaying those with the jawbone of an ass, when he tied the foxes tails together, and pulled up the gates of the city at night. But Samson fell into sin but did not exhibit a lifesyle of sinful living before God.

Ronald

Think of what a great tool he could have been, more than what he already was.

Openly Curious

I don't see it like that either I see the great tool that he "was" even though he was human and had time of failure that came into his life (sin).

Ronald

Think of what a great tool he couls have been, more than what he already was

Openly Curious

You tell me to think that Samson was a failure and just look at him as what he could have been for the Lord a great tool. Samson was a great man of God.

Ronald

Yet on the other hand I think we see a foretaste of what Christ would do-giving his own life so that his people might be saved.

Openly Curious

I had showed this very truth in the thread that was closed that Samson did lay down his life for his friends as scriptures also tells us that no greater love can a man have than to lay down his life for his friends which in this case was the children of Israel his own people. The Philistines on the other hand were not all destroyed in the land of Canaan as they were supposed to have been in the beginning of the book of Judges and because all the inhabitants of the land were not destroyed the people of Israel would fall back into the sins of the heathens around them and get entangled again in bondage. That why they were having trouble to start with and God used Samson to fight against their enemies in the land.

Ronald

I will see what others have to say as well but at this point, I believe it would be a toss-up.

Openly Curious

I don't see him as a failure but as an overcomer and conqueror

God bless and thanks for your opinions

OC

apothanein kerdos'

Neither...it was obedience.

Openly Curious,

If it was obedience what was his life in his death heroic or failure? What would you call it???

I just don't get your point in the four words that you have given

God bless

OC

'other one'

I think it was both.....

Openly Curious,

Read post #7

Thanks for your opinion

God Bless

OC

'David from New Bern'

I think the admirable thing about Samson that gives him special status among the Biblical character. He was willing for the Lord to use him in his circumstances. Most would have prayed for deliverance, he prayed for one last opportunity to glorify God with his life. That kind of humility is rare. Someone has said, it is how we finish the race that really matters. If that is true, he finished well.

Openly Curious

I agree with you David from New Bern and I believe God was well pleased with his sacrifice. And I will take it a step further Samson did not have the strenghth within himself to push down the pillars in the temple of Dagon where the Philistines were gathered. But God granted Samson his prayer petetion and it was God who pushed the pillar columnes down as the supernatural strenghth from God came upon him and pushed the pillars down. It was God who did it who took his life. And the bible said he killed more of the Philistines in his death than in his life. I heard someone tell me once that Samson took his own life as being the same as those to whom may take their own life intentionally. I think just the opposite.

In these definitions below I see that you grade Samson life with "A" well done

A. Heroic--Courageous, noble, calling for heroism, involving risk, Impressive in the size of the scope, Melodramictic behavior

B. Failure--The act, condition or fact of failing, the failure of an experiment, One that has failed.

C. Taking one's own life--The act or an instance of intentionally killing oneself (being suicide).

But it was God who took his life when God's Spirit came upon him for Samson could not do it within his own strength.

thank you so much for your response God bless

OC

'Butero'

I agree with David from New Bern. Samson gave his life to bring about a great deliverance for Israel, exactly what God called him to do. It is sad he had to die to bring about that end result, but that was the price of his earlier sin with Delilah.

I certainly don't consider his life a complete failure as Ronald said. He just had a time of moral failure when it came to his relationship with Delilah. He also showed a great lack of judgement in revealing what he did about his hair. In spite of that mistake, I consider him a great man that God used to deliver his people.

Openly Curious,

I to hold him highly esteemed in the Lord and a great example in which to look back to when we do fail him God will forgive once again and use our lives still we don't have to stay in the hog pin we can get back up in God. That is why I have chosen to stand up and defend this great man of God as he is not here today to defend his self and Samson's life in the other thread that was closed was being defamed to that of a person who takes their own life intentionally. If others are allowed to defame the great men and women in the bible then they will cease to be our examples of faith in which to look to and learn valuables lessons from their lives.

God bless and thank you for your response

OC