• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

We can learn a lot from Samson and all the other mortal men mentioned in the Bible, by reading how they lived their lives.

From Adam to Paul, they all sinned, they all had consequences to their sin, they all repented,and they all were forgiven.

We can learn from their mistakes.

We know that we can be forgiven for whatever atrocities we have committed.

Murderers

Adulterers

liars

theives

blasphemers

ALL CAN BE FORGIVEN.

Ain't God great?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

We can learn a lot from Samson and all the other mortal men mentioned in the Bible, by reading how they lived their lives.

From Adam to Paul, they all sinned, they all had consequences to their sin, they all repented,and they all were forgiven.

We can learn from their mistakes.

We know that we can be forgiven for whatever atrocities we have committed.

Murderers

Adulterers

liars

theives

blasphemers

ALL CAN BE FORGIVEN.

Ain't God great?

The Best :th_praying:

OC

I think the admirable thing about Samson that gives him special status among the Biblical character. He was willing for the Lord to use him in his circumstances. Most would have prayed for deliverance, he prayed for one last opportunity to glorify God with his life. That kind of humility is rare. Someone has said, it is how we finish the race that really matters. If that is true, he finished well.

And his petition (desire) was a righteous request so much so in the eyes of God that he gave him the desires of his heart like in the story of Hannah who couldn't have any children and was being mocked by Penninah on a continual basis because Elknah gave her a doulbe portion and Hannah was so in bitterness of soul because of not having any children and being mocked she cried out to the Lord for a child and she would give him to the Lord which was a righteous petition in which she asked of the Lord because in that time the son's of Eli were running the temple and lying with the women who came to the temple as they were wicked. So God was pleased with her request to the point of granting it because it was a righteous thing in God eyes as her son grew to be Samuel the prophet who replaced Eli's son in the temple. So in this same way God was pleased with Samson request in order to destroy the enemies of God. And most would have prayed to the Lord for deliverance as you say. Like Solomon when God visited him in the night and asked him to ask any thing he wanted an Solomon prayed for wisdom so he would know how to rule the people of God whom he became King over. And God saw that was a righteous request in God's sight as it pleased God and granted it to him. He could have asked a ton of things but he asked wisdom to govern his people.

OC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

His life is listed as one of the champions of faith in hebrews

Heb 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they had been compassed seven days.

Heb 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.

Heb 11:32 And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah; also David, and Samuel and the prophets,

Heb 11:33 who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

Heb 11:34 quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the strangers.

His life is listed as one of the champions of faith in hebrews

Heb 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they had been compassed seven days.

Heb 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.

Heb 11:32 And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah; also David, and Samuel and the prophets,

Heb 11:33 who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

Heb 11:34 quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the strangers.

abbershay

Thank you so much for your response and Samson was a true champion of the faith one most valiant in the hands of God.

Our faith and trust in Him is a powerful thing if we don't cast it aside in times of faults and failures. Our faith can make us more than conquerors as the great people of long ago and by it the saints today can still by faith subdue kingdoms (especially the kingdom of darkness) we can work the righteousness of God in the midst of our days, we can have and experience the promises of God by faith, we can stop the mouths of lions that come to devour us, we can quench all the fiery darts of the wicked, we can escape the snares of the devil, in our weaknesses we can be made strong again, we can be valiant in the army of the Lord by our faith, if we will let God arise in our hearts then the enemies of the Lord will turn in flight. Hebrews 11:33--for time would fail me to tell--what the power of our faith would do if we don't cast it aside and abandon it in our faults and failures when we are overtaken. Our faith can move mountains for what we cannot do ourselves God can do through us God Bless

OC

Guest NewPilgrim

No doubt Samson was indeed a chosen one of God and like all men had his flaws too. He walked mostly in faith and at times he erred. But as we are dealing with his death specifically, I shall deal with his death specifically.

Jdg 16:28 And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.

The text seems to indicate that, in the heat of the moment at least, Samsons actions were self-motivated. Though his actions produced a favourable outcome for Gods people, the motives for his death would appear to have been momentarily selfish.

Even the hardening of Pharoahs heart served Gods purpose.

No doubt Samson was indeed a chosen one of God and like all men had his flaws too. He walked mostly in faith and at times he erred. But as we are dealing with his death specifically, I shall deal with his death specifically.

Jdg 16:28 And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.

The text seems to indicate that, in the heat of the moment at least, Samsons actions were self-motivated. Though his actions produced a favourable outcome for Gods people, the motives for his death would appear to have been momentarily selfish.

Even the hardening of Pharoahs heart served Gods purpose.

NewPilgim

Thank you for your response and I do not mind talking about Samson life but I do not want a disscussion on the afterlife of Samson. You make valid points and I agree mostly in your observations. The only thing I differ with you on is your comparison of Samson's heart to being that of Pharoah's hardened heart. I don't see in that way entirely.

First Pharoah had no heart whatsoever towards God or his will so one could say he was all hard always. Samson on the other hand was chosen by God to be a deliverer and he was zealous towards God within his life. Samson did not have a heart like Pharoah at all the two were so much different.

Even though Samson had flaws and fell into sin and got overtaken by the enemy and it cost him his two eyes and he could no longer be used in the same fashion for God as before and he would have been probably killed by the Philistines or left to rot or be mocked and made sport of in prison the rest of his life.

As that was the Philistines strategy against Samson in how to stop him from the havoc he was causing among them. The Philistines found out the source of his strength then took it from him when cutting his hair. Then they took his eye sight from him so he could no longer see. Then they put him bound in prison thinking they stopped him and His God.

But Pharoah on the other hand did not need to be vindicated because no injustice was done towards him. I mean the Hebrew children were God's children to start with whom he made slaves of just because they were blessed of God and kept growing and multiplying in number to the point Pharoah got scared they'd rise up against him and overthrow him so in order for that scenario not to be played out he made slaves of God's people. So God was vindicating His own people in that case.

In the case of Samson he had an injustice done toward him by the Philistines they plucked out his eyes just for the sake of stopping him and mocking his God making sport of him while they were down at the temple of Dagon which was a fish god that they served. And it was God whom he trusted in to bring justice about for this act done to him. As vengence belongs to God if we will place our enemies in life in his hands he will bring justice to us and vindicate us before our enemies. And Samsons God was real that he stood for and fought for in his life and not the idol gods that the Philistines worshipped and served. So Samson was being vindicated by God as Samson had stood for God in his life and Samson was done wrong by the enemies of God as they plucked out his eyes. Reminds me of scripture that says--touch not mine anointed--well they touched him and I believe that is why God allowed Samson request for him in this regard. Because if Samson would not have been a servant on the Lord's behalf not his own but the Lord behalf it would not have happened unto him. But it was because of God those things were being done to him and for no other reason.

But you make good points we only differ slightly as I believe Samson was being vindicated of the wrongs done to him.

And that Pharoah was not being vindicated of anything but the Hebrew children were the ones being vindicated the wrongs done to them as they were taken captive just because of the blessings of God on their lives. God Bless

OC

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

'apothanein kerdos'

Look, I'm not going to tip-toe around like everyone else. Stop treating us like we're idiots. We know you created this thread to continue the suicide discussion (which left off with Samson). At least be honest and don't treat us like idiots who can't see past your smoke screen.

Openly Curious

I am not treating anyone like an idiot. I started this thread to talk about Samson the topic was pretty simple and is not on the subject of suicide as the other thread was. But if Samson death was a heroic one or a failure and If you have any thing worth while to contribute it will be welcome. And yes Samson did come up in the other thread that was closed. I want to talk Samson if you do join in and stop all the accusations.

OC

It's not an accusation, it's very much a fact.

Regardless, as I said, it was obedience. His purpose was to act as a judge in Israel, and part of this was protecting Israel. By killing so many Philistines he was acting in what his calling was. There was no direct order; instead, it was the overall calling of what he was to do.

It doesn't make him a hero or a failure; it merely makes him someone that lived up to his purpose. And to one of the questions brought forth, yes, it is suicide. He took his life because he was miserable and wanted to die...he merely asked God to give him the strength to take out other people with him as well.

'apothanein kerdos'

Look, I'm not going to tip-toe around like everyone else. Stop treating us like we're idiots. We know you created this thread to continue the suicide discussion (which left off with Samson). At least be honest and don't treat us like idiots who can't see past your smoke screen.

Openly Curious

I am not treating anyone like an idiot. I started this thread to talk about Samson the topic was pretty simple and is not on the subject of suicide as the other thread was. But if Samson death was a heroic one or a failure and If you have any thing worth while to contribute it will be welcome. And yes Samson did come up in the other thread that was closed. I want to talk Samson if you do join in and stop all the accusations.

OC

It's not an accusation, it's very much a fact.

Regardless, as I said, it was obedience. His purpose was to act as a judge in Israel, and part of this was protecting Israel. By killing so many Philistines he was acting in what his calling was. There was no direct order; instead, it was the overall calling of what he was to do.

It doesn't make him a hero or a failure; it merely makes him someone that lived up to his purpose. And to one of the questions brought forth, yes, it is suicide. He took his life because he was miserable and wanted to die...he merely asked God to give him the strength to take out other people with him as well.

AK

Your accusation here are unfounded and unwarrented.

Then this then being your logic why is it when you live out your purpose in which God gave you to do. Why is it you must pray and ask God for your prayers and petitions to be answered. I mean seeing it is all a matter of obedience I guess you have no desires in which to approach God for you just obey him for that is fullfiling ones purpose. That only takes my hope away from me if this then is true you say. God never asked samson to do it so it wasn't God purpose for Him it was Samson desire and request from God it was not an act of obedience as God said he would give us the desires of our hearts. But in your way of seeing things as long as you are obeying your purpose or calling you don't need vindication from the things you may suffer being Christ servant yourself because it all about fullfilling your purpose. Do you not think God cares for the wrongs that others do unto you just because you are a servant of the Lord. Well he does and if not where's hope. You only send me back to the prayer room.

OC

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Since God saw fit to put the story of Samson into the bible, I would think that Samson did God's bidding and demonstrated the lessons that God was teaching us. He was a hero. :noidea: