• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/28/1978

"And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence." (1 Peter 3:14-15)

The Greek word used for "defense" is apologia, which gives the basic idea of defending a position (as in a court of law). Yes, it's important to defend the faith. We are in a spiritual war and are constantly being bombarded with worldy and secular philosophies. The verse above was given as a command, not a suggestion. If we want to not only survive, but thrive and redeem our culture, we need to heed these words.

that verse was the one that came to my mind as well. rightly said. also, "Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one." --Col. 4:5-6

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

The same verse came to mind for me to...we should be able to give reason for the hope we have. I don't think that means we have to major in theology and all become Bible scholars, but I think it means we should understand what we believe and why, and have some ability to share that with others...w/ the help of the Holy Spirit. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/22/1974

Actually, Apologetics is my favorite aspect of my faith. Truthfully, apologetics made me a better, stronger Christian!

I was raised in a Christian home (both of my parents are Christian, and my mom specifically was a strong Christian, watching Christian television for large portions of every single day). But when I was a kid, and especially when I was a teenager, I went to public schools and that wears on you. I never stopped believing in God or Christ, but all of the things that are out there in school, and especially hit you hard in high school; sexuality, evolution, no discussion about God, peer pressure, and parties (alcohol, sex, drugs)... these things wear on your ability to be a Christian. And if you aren't a strong Christian, they can either make it very easy to sin, or even ruin your faith in God. I actually stayed out of trouble for the most part (I didn

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

I wasn't raised a christian,but I thought I knew God.In reality the made up god who only wanted me to be happy all the time, was not the God of the Bible.So many people are lost because their "image" of the true God is perverted. They stumble but they don't know why.

God is light,and in Him is no darkness. This is somthing that needs to be taught.

Guest Andrew88
Why do we practice Apologetics? Does faith need defending?

Jude .v3 "...I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith"

We must content for the faith, or there won't be a faith. Read Jude and 2Peter Ch. 2 to understand.

In Christ,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew88

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/22/1974

More reasons...

Consider all of the programming out there right now. Consider the DaVinci code nonsense, the Book of Judas nonsense, the non-stop barrage of macro-evolution and old-earth timeline taught in schools and television? What about the fact that secularists continue to equate the entire body of Christ to Biblically-incorrect Crusaders hundreds of years ago, or even modern Islamic terrorism! Or a few hateful bigots that want to kill people in the name of God? They believe our faith is outdated and disproven. They believe that we want to oppress them and kill anybody who doesn't agree with us. Many secularists actually believe these things. They mock us, fear us, and slander us every day in Universities, television, newspapers, internet articles, and movies with propaganda that is meant to undermine our faith and make people look down upon us.

For this reason, apologetics is most necessary. For not just unbelievers, but believers who are attacked with anti-Christian propaganda. How else can we combat these things? Without it, we are just preaching to the choir! We’ll all slap each other on the back and say “Amen, brother!” to each other… but what good does it do when the rest of the world is mocking us? There is a strong anti-Christian element out there, and young Christians are often the first to lose their faith. We must use apologetics not just to bring unbelievers to Christ, but to also keep people believing in The Truth!

Jesus said that those who seek the truth to come to Him. And the truth exists. But we must fight the lies and one-sided propaganda that attacks the truth every day. That’s what apologetics is all about.

Edited by ChrisChrusherComix

Guest charlie

I used to engage in a lot of "apologetics"; these days I tend to view "apologetics" as nothing more than damage control. It's what you do when somebody actually reads the whole bible....not just the parts the clergy carefully steers us toward; it's the excuses you make for glaring contradictions and errors in the so-called infallible bible.

As for faith, I think Mark Twain pegged it correctly when he said "Faith is the belief in something you know ain't true".

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Charlie,

God Bless you. :emot-hug: How have you been?

Ro

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I used to engage in a lot of "apologetics"; these days I tend to view "apologetics" as nothing more than damage control. It's what you do when somebody actually reads the whole bible....not just the parts the clergy carefully steers us toward; it's the excuses you make for glaring contradictions and errors in the so-called infallible bible.

As for faith, I think Mark Twain pegged it correctly when he said "Faith is the belief in something you know ain't true".

So are you an existentialist now?