• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1987

A friend of mine gave me this story and I just wanted to share it with everyone. Forgive me if you've already heard this one.

At the end of time, billions of people were seated on a great plain before God's throne. Most shrank back from the brilliant light before them. But some groups near the front talked heatedly, not cringing with cringing shame - but with belligerence.

"Can God judge us? How can He know about suffering?", "snapped a pert young brunette. She ripped open a sleeve to reveal a tattooed number from a Nazi concentration camp. "We endured terror... beatings... torture... death!"

In another group a Negro boy lowered his collar. "What about this?" he demanded, showing an ugly rope burn. "Lynched, for no crime but being black!"

In another crowd there was a pregnant schoolgirl with sullen eyes: "Why should I suffer?" she murmured. "It wasn't my fault." Far out across the plain were hundreds of such groups. Each had a complaint against God for the evil and suffering He had permitted in His world.

How lucky God was to live in Heaven, where all was sweetness and light. Where there was no weeping or fear, no hunger or hatred. What did God know of all that man had been forced to endure in this world? For God leads a pretty sheltered life, they said.

So each of these groups sent forth their leader, chosen because he had suffered the most. A Jew, a negro, a person from Hiroshima, a horribly deformed arthritic, a thalidomide child. In the centre of the vast plain, they consulted with each other. At last they were ready to present their case. It was rather clever.

Before God could be qualified to be their judge, He must endure what they had endured. Their decision was that God should be sentenced to live on earth as a man.

Let him be born a Jew. Let the legitimacy of his birth be doubted. Give him a work so difficult that even his family will think him out of his mind.

Let him be betrayed by his closest friends. Let him face false charges, be tried by a prejudiced jury and be convicted by a cowardly judge. Let him be tortured.

At the last, let him see what it means to be terribly alone. Then let him die so there can be no doubt he died. Let there be a great host of witnesses to verify it.

As each leader announced his portion of the sentence, loud murmurs of approval went up from the throng of people assembled. When the last had finished pronouncing sentence, there was a long silence. No one uttered a word. No one moved.

For suddenly, all knew that God has already served His sentence.

This story is called "The Long Silence". Maybe its been around for a while. I've never heard it and it helped me a lot when I was going through a tough time. Maybe it will help someone else.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  613
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/02/1959

I have never heard it til now , and thanks for sharing it with us......... :)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/02/1953

never heard of it, thank you for sharing it. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

I haven't heard it before but it is a really good story. Can I copy it to email to my sister? Or would that be wrong? She would know, obviously, that I didn't write it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

That is absolutely amazing... my goodness gracious...... What a wonderful thing God has done, and we need to be out witnessing to those folks and sharing with them what the bible says.... The excuses they used won't work in heaven, and we really need to be out spreading that word... God is so good... he died on the cross for our sins... he was born of a virgin in a manger... with swaddling clothes.... "Our lord was mocked and beaten, they spat upon him too. All began to solute him, saying 'Hail, King of the Jews'" .... He died taht day on teh cross of Calvary.. he knows all of our pains and our hurts... he was betrayed by his loved ones.. he was betrayed by all... Even his own Father in heaven because of the sin that was nailed to the cross that day.... He went through the worst torture possible... so we could live... He died, so we could live.... He's the only King who surrendered to win.... Amazing....

~Crystal

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  85
  • Birthday:  05/25/1987

I haven't heard it before but it is a really good story. Can I copy it to email to my sister? Or would that be wrong? She would know, obviously, that I didn't write it?

Well its not my story either but I'm sure whoever did write it would want it to be circulated as much as possible. So go on ahead and email it to as many people as you can.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Good story! reminded me of a teaching I heard when I did the Foundation Principles of Worship course through Psalmody International, run by Tom Inglis. One of the words used in the Bible for praise 'towdah' means praise offered to God regardless of the circumstances. No matter what we are going through, He deserves the praise.

DC2D

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  102
  • Birthday:  05/26/1961

What a wonderful story. Thanks for posting!

Blessings kamusat

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/18/1961

Gods perfect timing Always in ALL WAYS He is the Master Potter! Praise to the Lord!

Thank You so much for sharing this story, it does bring about a silence to the heart :rolleyes:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

Wow. What a powerful story. Thanks for sharing.