• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't remember how I got started on this, but I was looking through the Gospels with particular interest in the difference between how Jesus interracted with the Gentiles vs. how He interracted with the Jews.  I am thinking I am seeing a difference.

So, here's the challenge.  Does anyone else notice a difference, and can you describe that difference?  With that in mind, how should we be witnessing and ministering to non-believers?

(I'm a better observer than I am an interpreter, so I am having a little difficulty piecing this together as I would like to.)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Jesus primarily came to His own, the Jews. Paul and others in Acts

What I am thinking of is the difference He related to the Jews, those who knew the Law - even if in sin (Zaccheus, the Pharisees and Sadducees, Herod - yes, he was a Jew -  the rich young ruler, Niccademus, etc.) versus the Gentiles who did not know the Law (the centurian, the Canaanite/Phoenician woman whose daughter was possessed, the Gadarene man who was possesed by Legion).

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  12/07/1969

I guess the main difference would be His methods of teaching.

He never altered the message to either group, and that is why the Jews hated Him.  By acting in true love, He was embracing all of humanity.  However, what one group may have perceived was definitely not what the other group perceived Him doing.  

I thank God that I am not one of those that have been embraced by His love, only to shrug Him away.

I am waiting for you to clarify what you see.

Well, I want people to investigate for themselve ans not just evaluate what I say.  So, I'll put it this way.

When Jesus spoke with the Gentiles (the few that He did, I know), did He bring to light their sin or argue doctrine, or did He interact with them in a way that challenged their belief in religion or who He really was?  (OK, I'm not wording it in the way I want this to come across, but I'm not sure how to word it correctly.   :rofl: )

:rofl: So you want us to look into it and figure it out.  You mean I actually have to think for myself.  LOL :)  O.K. But I will have to get back at you. Have the grandkids this weekend and boy do they keep me busy........... :a2:

I was thinking I should add something.  I had heard a teaching about the story of the man from the Gaderenes from an historical-cultural perspective.  You see, that was a Gentile land.  According to this teaching, the people there were Baal-worshipers.  Baal was the god of nature.  Before Jesus landed on the shore, what did He do?  Calmed a storm.  (His power was greater than that of Baal.)  Then He cast out the demon of a man whom no one could control.  (Showing His power and authority again.)  Also, according to this teaching, pigs were used as sacrificial animals for them.  So, by casting the demons into the pigs, that was another afront to Baal.  This would explain why the people of that region demanded Jesus to leave.  (Note, He never spoke a word against the religion of Baal - I guess He didn't have to; He just proved through His actions that He was greater!)

So, does that give you a better idea of the kind of thoughts I was coming from?

(BTW, the teaching came from a Focus On the Family video series.)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  396
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  09/26/1961

I don't see why we would witness to believers?

:rofl:

Doctors heal the sick, not the well! :)

Do you mean 'witness' or 'fellowship'?

They's totally dif'rent. :)

The jews were the believers of the day, only not in Jesus as the messiah. And Jesus witnessed to them. Sort of the religious people of the day, as many are today who say they believe in God, but do not do the words of God. And is it not ironic we spend more money and time witnessing to the saved that we ever do to the lost and unknowing?

What Jesus did seems to me to be much like what we do to