• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Back to Mother Teresa, she has made a lot of sacrifices apparently to give her life to service to the poor. But if she didn't use the opportunity to aleve the spiritual suffering with the salve of salvation her life was a waste. Now I did say "if".

So, in comparison (since you mentioned you're a pastor), would you also say that if you put more emphasis on preaching than on going out and getting your congregation to go out and practice what you have taught...that your life was also a waste? Calling someone's life a "waste" or even speculating it to be such is very strong. While I certainly agree that no one can rely on their works to earn them salvation, at the same time I cannot deny the fact that good works do reflect God. Meeting physical needs is just as important as meeting spiritual needs. They are equal. While we should have balance, and seek to meet both needs, at the same time we all fall short very regularly on this point. We all swing from one extreme to another from time to time. When we fail, this does not make our life a total waste. It just means we fell short. We're human afterall, and so was Mother Teresa. I just don't like using someone's life as a springboard for judging motives, I think we should avoid that. Yes, of course we can identify and point out false doctrine. Let's not diminish the good works she did for the sake of argument or speculation on her motives. At least be willing to praise her for the things she accomplished. James teaches us that every good gift comes from the Father. When we see any act of kindness or goodness in the world, it is a direct reflection of who God is. This also leaves those in witness to it without excuse, for they have seen and experienced the work of God, His common grace in action. What I'm saying is, celebrate what is good. Where there is bad theology (if it's evident) point it out. But if you have no evidence of it, don't speculate. Honestly, when I look at her life, instead of judgment I'm convicted. I believe that I have sound doctrine to back up my beliefs (which she may have lacked). However, my life does not reflect it nearly the way hers did. If I could be even half as selfless as she was....

The meeting of physical needs is a window to reach someone with the truth of the gospel. Survey the Scriptures and you will find that for every miracle Jesus performed there was a spiritual purpose in the wings. Mother Teresa was dealing with the dying. If she didn't feel the need to mention salvation to the dying she should have moved over and have let someone who would do it. Instead she didn't want to disturb the culture. That is a wasted opportunity. If it happened with frequency it was a wasted ministry. If it was a pattern for a life of "ministry" it was a wasted life. If she didn't know any better it is deceptive religion. There is no way to make the gospel as simple as benevolent handout or a caress of acceptance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

A verse regarding "good works" . . .

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny Him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Regarding any other way than Jesus . . .

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.

Notable quotes from "Mother" Teresa (12/4/89 Time , pp. 11 & 13): (a) "The dying, the crippled, the mentally ill , the unwanted, the unloved--they are Jesus in disguise . ... poor people I have an opportunity to be 24 hours a day with Jesus." children of God have been created for greater things" (1/13/86 Time ).] (b) "You must make them feel loved and wanted. They are Jesus for me." © "I love all religions. ... If people become better Hindus, better Muslims, better Buddhists by our acts of love, then there is something else growing there."
Another Quote:Wise words:
"I believe in person to person. Every person is Christ for me, and since there is only one Jesus, that person is the one person in the world at that moment."
Here's a wierd article about the process of making Mother Teresa a saint and her blood at this link

Mother Theresa also stated:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

A verse regarding "good works" . . .

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny Him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Regarding any other way than Jesus . . .

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.

Notable quotes from "Mother" Teresa (12/4/89 Time , pp. 11 & 13):

• (a) "The dying, the crippled, the mentally ill , the unwanted, the unloved--they are Jesus in disguise . ... [through the] poor people I have an opportunity to be 24 hours a day with Jesus." [On another occasion, she again demonstrated her pantheistic religious philosophy: "Every AIDS victim is Jesus in a pitiful disguise; Jesus is in everyone.. ... [AIDS sufferers are] children of God [who] have been created for greater things" (1/13/86 Time ).] (b) "You must make them feel loved and wanted. They are Jesus for me."

Obviously some of that is false...about multiple ways to salvation.....however........saying you see Jesus in people, that you see Christ in them, that God is in every person.....that's actually a Biblical concept. We are made in His image, and we have kept this image (only distorted). Even in Matthew Jesus says when we take care of the poor, the hungry, the naked, etc, we have taken care of Him.

Would Jesus have said that? . . . to "every person?"

I think not.

• John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Would Jesus say that every person is made in His image? Would He say that to them? Of course He would, what an absurd question. Are you saying that when Jesus told the Pharisees their father was the devil, that meant they were created in the image of Satan?

Would Jesus say that every person is made in His image? Would He say that to them? Of course He would, what an absurd question. Are you saying that when Jesus told the Pharisees their father was the devil, that meant they were created in the image of Satan?

Of course not. I am saying He saw them for what they were.

Of course not. I am saying He saw them for what they were.

Fallen sinners in a distorted image of God. Read Genesis 9 and all other passages dealing with man being in God's image then get back to me.

• Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

engraved on the wall of Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta

People are often unreasonable, Illogical,

and self-centered;

Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you

of selfish, ulterior motives;

Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,You will win some

false friends and some true enemies;

Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,

people may cheat you;

Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building,

someone could destroy overnight;

Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,

they may be jealous;

Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,

people will often forget tomorrow;

Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,

and it may never be enough;

Give the world the best you have anyway.

You see, in the final analysis,

it is between you and God;

It was never between you and them anyway.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Its obvious...she saw no reason for them to change their religious beliefs, she saw Jesus in them...Let and let live...God loves and accept all religious people

Edited by David from New Bern

Fallen sinners in a distorted image of God. Read Genesis 9 and all other passages dealing with man being in God's image then get back to me.

Get back with you? for what?

If you have something to say . . . just say it. Don't hand out assignments, especially "Genesis 9 and all other passages dealing with man being in God's image." Good grief man. I don't have to agree with you or you with me . . . but you'll do better just stating your point if you want me to understand it.

:emot-hug: