Marnie

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

im actually starting to think that the big oil companies arn't being these prices as much as we think this time.

Think about it - obscene gas prices will drive us to seek other sources of energy - thus driving thier customers away. They are smart enough to know that a quick buck now doesnt mean as much as years of buisness ahead. And once we actually start moving away from fossil fuels, we will only continue moving in that direction.

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

It's $1.21 a litre here. I don't know how that translates to American gallons but I'm sure you guys are getting a deal. :thumbsup:

That would be about $4.58 a gallon. We are not there yet, but we are close.

Nebula, you only quoted part of my post:

I said, "The American public is addicted to their cars and they will go without a lot of other things before they cut back on driving. This is very hard on the poor or lower middle class that must drive to work, school, etc. but that's the way it is."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

im actually starting to think that the big oil companies arn't being these prices as much as we think this time.

Think about it - obscene gas prices will drive us to seek other sources of energy - thus driving thier customers away. They are smart enough to know that a quick buck now doesnt mean as much as years of buisness ahead. And once we actually start moving away from fossil fuels, we will only continue moving in that direction.

Maybe because they know their time is almost up, they better gouge us now while they still have a chance. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

You know what I find interesting (upsetting) is that supposedly the gulf coast region is where a large number of the countries refineries are. So why are we here in the gulf coast paying more per gallon than a large number of the states north of us? I mean, it costs less to get it to our pumps than theirs and we are paying more? It doesn't make sense. From what I have seen, the large oil companies will continue to monopolise future fuel resources. British petrolium is currently investing in alternative fuels. While it offers hope that we won't have to rely on our government to fund research in this area it does mean that once a new source of fuel is found, they will find a way to keep production low enough to keep their product profitable. The oil industry has already confirmed this simply by resisting increasing their refining capacities. I think they understand that if the had even one more refinery in the Unites States it would drive fuel prices down considerably. Now we are at a point where the government is offering oil companies subsidies through tax leniency and grants of environmental amnesty if they will simply build another refinery. Its pitiful but I doubt the oil companies will hold out much longer even with the prospect of it taking 10 years to build one.

Guest nofear

I think just a one day boycott would get the message out.

I mean, think for one day, no one in America buys gas.

I believe the lost in tax revenue alone would get Congress to take note.

• Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

If the American people could do something so unilateral we would not have near the problems with our own government.