• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/20/1950

Where in Scripture is this Protestant tenet?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

Mat 4:1Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."

4Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God

2 Peter 1:3His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

I don't know exactly what your asking but I hope this helps a little. How do we live? by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

In his love,

Brian

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Where in Scripture is this Protestant tenet?

It's not in Scripture, as it is not Biblical.

1 Corinthians 11: 2 I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you.

2 Thessalonians 2: 15 Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours

3: 6 We instruct you, brothers, in the name of (our) Lord Jesus Christ,to shun any brother who conducts himself in a disorderly way and not according to the tradition they received from us.

John 21:25 There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written

Mark 13: 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away

Acts 20:35 In every way I have shown you that by hard work of that sort we must help the weak, and keep in mind the words of the Lord Jesus who himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

(Paul quotes a saying of Jesus not found in the gospels)

2 Tim 1:13-14 Take as your norm the sound words that you heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

14 Guard this rich trust with the help of the holy Spirit that dwells within us.

2 Tim 2:2 2 And what you heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will have the ability to teach others as well.

2 Peter 1:20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation

2 Peter 3:15-16 And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, also wrote to you,

16 speaking of these things as he does in all his letters. In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures.

1 Peter 1:25 but the word of the Lord remains forever." This is the word that has been preached to you.

Romans 10:17 Thus faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.

I Corinth 15: 1-2 Now I am reminding you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you indeed received and in which you also stand.

Through it you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

I Corinth 11:2 praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you.

2 Thess 2:15 Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours

2 Thess 3:6 We instruct you, brothers, in the name of (our) Lord Jesus Christ,to shun any brother who conducts himself in a disorderly way and not according to the tradition they received from us.

Scripture makes it clear that we are also to hold fast to the oral Tradition of the church.

The peace of Christ be with you,

Fiosh

:laugh:

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

Scripture makes it clear that we are also to hold fast to the oral Tradition of the church.

As long as that tradition does not contridict the word of God.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I would like to enter the discussion in order to help define terms better. I believe the Reformation view is that Sola Scriptura means that the Bible is the FINAL authority but not the only authority in matters of faith and practice. Unfortunately I think many evangelicals view the Bible as the ONLY authority and believe that the church itself has no authority. I fully recognize the authority of the apostles and the church since both were commissioned by our Lord yet also believe that Scripture is the final Word.

This seems proper since if we agree that the Bible is God's last word and revelation, fully infallable and inerrant, then it is superior to tradition and the final arbiter of truth. For example, the Lutheran Confessions are true (in my view) because they are based on the Bible and those joining the Lutheran Church agree that they true. However, they still are not considered infallable and inerrant since only God's Word can claim that. The same can and should be said for any pronouncements of a Pope whether speaking from the chair or informally.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/18/1984

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

The traditions we are to hold to were also recorded in our New Testament today.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

And only scripture makes sense. Anything not scripture cannot be proven to be from God. We KNOW that we are on solid ground when dealing with scripture.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

"And only scripture makes sense. Anything not scripture cannot be proven to be from God. We KNOW that we are on solid ground when dealing with scripture."

This is not really addressing the issue of authority. Lots of things make sense that aren't in Scripture. When I put gas in my car it runs. When I am hungry and eat I feel better. That makes sense but its not in the Bible. All good gifts are from God whether they are in the Bible or not. I don't get your argument. The Bible provides all we need for faith and practice but it is not a mere code book for living. You cannot learn how to perform brain surgery by reading the Bible so you say that gift is not from God?

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

The traditions we are to hold to were also recorded in our New Testament today.

With all due respect, Elijah, this verse does not support your statement.

F

As long as that tradition does not contridict the word of God.

AMEN!!!

Anything anti-Biblical is absolutely ruled out.

F