Rukkus

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hey Guys, what do you think of this article? I wanted to get a good discussion going . . .

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he has put him to grief: when you shall make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

(Isa 53:10)

Notice the part that says God would make the Soul of Jesus an offering for sin. So we see what God did with the Soul of Jesus. He made it an offering for sin. This shows us that it wasn

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I think we have beat this subject to death around here. Jesus did not go to the place of the damned (Hell). That is actually a heresy. He went to the Paradise side of Sheol-Hades. Remember, He told the thief on the cross that they would be together "today" in Paradise. Anyway, check the other threads for the discussion.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Birthday:  11/18/1965

What you call "hell" is actually "the grave". Jesus went to the grave. In other words, He died.

Edited by GodisTruth

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

What you call "hell" is actually "the grave". Jesus went to the grave. In other words, He died.

Actually, the "grave" is a mistranslation of the Hebrew Sheol, meaning kind of a "shadow" world of departed spirits. The NT word is Hades. In each case, it is mistranslated as the grave or hell in the KJV. Modern translations have rightly transliterated the words. Jesus did not, in fact, die. He "gave up the ghost" and went into Paradise, the upper compartment of Sheol-Hades to complete His mission and set the saints free to be with the Father.

Guest Lnknprkfan

I herd somthing like that, he went to hell for a day or somthing... Didnt catholics believe that?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Birthday:  11/18/1965

Jesus did not, in fact, die. He "gave up the ghost" and went into Paradise, the upper compartment of Sheol-Hades to complete His mission and set the saints free to be with the Father.

I have read the Bible many times, and I have never came across any story of Jesus' time in Hades releasing dead saints. Where did that story come from?

• 2 weeks later...

Well . . . Like I pointed out in the article . . . Jesus described in Luke 16, the place that He went. A place of torment and flames. And I have heard plenty of people say that there is a paradise side to Hades . . . But Luke 16 does not say this. Luke 16 says the rich man went to hell (hades) and Lazarus went to Abraham's bosom. Just because they could see eachother from where they were does not mean they were in the same place.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I'm liking this discussion...I have to say I've always preferred the "updated" version of the Apostle's Creed which says "He descended to the dead" rather than "He descended into Hell," because I had no idea there was biblical evidence for the old way of saying it, so the new one sounded more explainable.

:) Keep it up!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Rukkus,

for a better description of Hades, try reading the description of Josephus, a first century Jewish historian of some repute, it is in an extract out of Josephus's discourse to the Greeks concerning Hades. the specific book to which i have at hand is "Josephus, the complete works". translated by William Whiston, A.M. it is described as "the source for independent corroboration of Biblical History". it explains Abraham's Bosom, and how the one side is for the saved and the other is for the unsaved, and how Lazarus can be seen by the rich man across the uncrossable chasm, that separates the two sides.

Josephus, further describes Hades as a subterraneous region. there is but one gate,...but the just are guided to the right hand, and are led with hymns, sung by the angels appointed over that place, unto a region of light, in which the just have dwelt from the beginning of the world; not constrained by necessity, but ever enjoying the prospect of the good things they see and rejoice in the expectation of those new enjoyments,....there is no place of toil, no burning heat, no piercing cold, nor any briers; but the countenance of the fathers and of the just, which they see always smiles upon them, while they wait for that rest and eternal new life in heaven, which is to succeed this region. this place we call the "bosom of Abraham". the description of the side where in the unjust go is not as pleasent as this, naturally.

Rukkus, go read Luke 16, again, and come back and tell me where in, Jesus described where he was going. i don't see it there. i know the reference to which you are trying to quote, but that isn't it.

Edited by dakota190

Dakota . . . I think it's defenitely an interesting study as to what Josephus said about hell or hades. But I don't believe it compares to what Jesus said about it. That's why I'm interested only in what the Bible teaches us concerning it. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but you won't find what Josephus wrote about hell and Abrham's bosom eternally established in the heavens, like you will Jesus' words (Ps 119)

23: And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24: And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

(Luke 16)

Verse 23 says the rich man was in hell. Then Jesus goes on and uses two words to describe hell (hades) torments and flame.

This same Greek word for "hell" can be found in Acts 2:31 in reference to where Jesus' Soul went.

Edited by Rukkus