IGNORED

is doubt a sin?

>> Hannah <<

Guest NooPilgrim
I do not agree with those that say that doubt is a sin. I do however believe that what we do with our doubt can turn into sin

Jesus disagrees with you:

Matt 5:27 "You have heard that it was said *to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.'* 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Abraham and Sara doubted Gods word and through faithlessness Abraham bore the Child Ishmael, who was cursed by God to be an affliction to his brothers. God did not even recognise Ishmael as Abrahams son, when he said to Abraham, of Isaac:

Gen 22:2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only [son] Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

Edited by NooPilgrim

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

I think doubt is an emotion along with all the others that we have to struggle and fight with that gets down in our Spirits. And the emotions in and of themselves are not a sin because all of our emotions are in fact G-d given unto us we were created with all these feelings.

Now if a man has lust in his heart for a women when he looks on her and then wants her (shame on him) it is not doubt that is working in his heart and mind it is his sinful lust running a muck and out of control that is abiding and lurking down in his heart that is doing this to him and not doubt.

But say witth the emotion of anger it say for us to be angry but don't sin while we are angry it is not doubt if we have anger within our heart but it is sin when we act out in our anger and hurt someone. again it is not doubt.

Doubt on the other hand is something we are not sure of we lack confidence in we haven't been fully persuaded within ourselves for various reasons. If you will recall out of all the disciples in the boat it was only Peter who got out of the boat to walk on the water and when he began to sink Jesus didn't say to him or to any of the others who didn't get out of the boat you sinners but He said O ye of little faith. Our faith has to grow and when it does the doubts begin to deminish within us.

That is why Jesus told us in His word to consider the lilies of the field and the sparrow and observe how that He does in fact take care of there needs. And He gives us comfort and tells us to seek His kingdom first and all the things we need in life He will add them to us as we need them. This that G-d has told us in His word builds confidence within us if we believe His word and learn to trust Him our faith will grow as we see Him meeting our needs according to His riches in glory.

It is our unbelief that leads us to seek outside of G-d's provision and that can lead to us commiting sins. IMO

OC

Guest jckduboise
I do not agree with those that say that doubt is a sin. I do however believe that what we do with our doubt can turn into sin

Jesus disagrees with you:

Matt 5:27 "You have heard that it was said *to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.'* 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Abraham and Sara doubted Gods word and through faithlessness Abraham bore the Child Ishmael, who was cursed by God to be an affliction to his brothers. God did not even recognise Ishmael as Abrahams son, when he said to Abraham, of Isaac:

Gen 22:2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only [son] Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

If doubt is sin then why didn't Jesus tell Thomas that his doubt was a sin? He didn't do that at all, He allowed Thomas to put his finger in the holes of Jesus' wounds and then said that blessed are those who believe by seeing but even more so for those who believe and do not see..

I did not read that Jesus rebuked Thomas for his doubt or tell him in anyway that his doubt was sin.

Guest NewPilgrim

He didnt rebuke the woman at the well either, despite her promiscuity.

The fact that Jesus did not rebuke someone does not mean that they had not sinned.

The passage in Matthew clearly states that the intent of the heart is a sin, as well as the action it might lead to. Doubt leads to unbelief and unbelief is a sin. Doubt therefore is also a sin. As I said, sin is forgiven us. I dont see why you should feel threatened by the premise, unless your own doubts prick your conscience, which they should. I've clearly shown the consequences of doubt in the example of Abraham, his doubt of Gods promise led him to bear a child in unbelief, that God did not recognise as an heir to Abraham and who was cursed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

is god gonna be annoyed with me for having "given" my life to him 18months ago and promised to follow him and now im doubting his existence...

is doubt a sin?

How far is doubting God from calling Him a liar? That is the real question in my estimation.

Guest jckduboise
He didnt rebuke the woman at the well either, despite her promiscuity.

The fact that Jesus did not rebuke someone does not mean that they had not sinned.

The passage in Matthew clearly states that the intent of the heart is a sin, as well as the action it might lead to. Doubt leads to unbelief and unbelief is a sin. Doubt therefore is also a sin. As I said, sin is forgiven us. I dont see why you should feel threatened by the premise, unless your own doubts prick your conscience, which they should. I've clearly shown the consequences of doubt in the example of Abraham, his doubt of Gods promise led him to bear a child in unbelief, that God did not recognise as an heir to Abraham and who was cursed.

Yes doubt leads to unbelief, doubt leads to sin...where does it say that doubt is THE sin in either of these examples?

You show an excellent example of how her doubt led to disbelief that she would have a child. Doubt is a thought. What is done with the thought is where the sin lies in this point. This is my belief.

I have had my doubts...I have acted on those doubts...when I acted on those doubts I became sinful in my doubt. I was not sinful in the thought but the action resulting from the thought.

I doubt that I am capaple of doing certain things? Am I sinning against myself because I have a doubt about my capabilities? I do only if I allow that doubt to out weigh the sureness and do not move forward regardless of the doubt I may carry at times.

Yes I know what you said regarding killing and you are right if I hold anger at my brother I am sinning..but anger is sinful because of the action behind the anger...God has anger, it is the fact that He does not act unrighteously in that anger, nor does He think unrighteously in that anger, thus keeping Him incapable of sin.

Guest NewPilgrim
Doubt is a thought. What is done with the thought is where the sin lies in this point. This is my belief.

Matt 5:27 "You have heard that it was said *to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.'* 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery (sinned) with her in his heart.

Yes I know what you said regarding killing and you are right if I hold anger at my brother I am sinning..but anger is sinful because of the action behind the anger

regarding the above then, do you suggest that unbelief is not a sin merely because you believe that doubt is not sinful?

or do you agree that doubt which would lead to unbelief (which is a sin) must also be a sin, "having already" fallen into unbelief in ones heart?

God has anger, it is the fact that He does not act unrighteously in that anger, nor does He think unrighteously in that anger, thus keeping Him incapable of sin.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Righteous anger, evident through scripture. Now can you give me an example of righteous doubt?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/06/1987

i may be wrong but...

wasnt the first sin ever committed doubt?

The "truth" (if it be true) is clear: the sin of Adam and Eve is so obvious that we miss the real significance of the simple act of eating the forbidden fruit. Why was the fruit forbidden? Simply because God said so:

And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die." (Gen 2:16-17)

There was nothing in the appearance of the fruit that gave any indication that the fruit was deadly. It looked harmless. Matter of fact it looked good for food. However, if Adam and Eve believed God

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

i may be wrong but...

wasnt the first sin ever committed doubt?

The "truth" (if it be true) is clear: the sin of Adam and Eve is so obvious that we miss the real significance of the simple act of eating the forbidden fruit. Why was the fruit forbidden? Simply because God said so:

And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die." (Gen 2:16-17)

There was nothing in the appearance of the fruit that gave any indication that the fruit was deadly. It looked harmless. Matter of fact it looked good for food. However, if Adam and Eve believed God

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

yes it is a sin uhmmm let me say this if u only been out for a small time then go back trust me i no it is to hard to do it later all most impossable to go back :P