• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I wrote a paper in Systematic Theology, which was a course requirement, entitled "This I Believe." Every student had the same assignment. During the course of the study we approached the major subject matters that theology requires us to face. But what I wrote in the interior of the paper is not what created conversation, it was my opening statement that got the real attention of the professor. He even quoted from it in chapel, which made me famous for 15 minutes. Here is a paraphrase of what I said, "The contents of this personal theology must be revisited, so always check the date of the thesis for my theology is a work in progress subject to be revisited." Here on the forum, I get the feel that unchanging theology is the goal. It is as if we are often saying, "I am going to tell you what I believe and you are not going to affect what I believe." Would it not be better to see our theology as developing? The other extreme would to be "easily tossed to and fro with every win of doctrine" but with each passing year with deep study and through the crucible of experience we should find that we did not understand what we understand now. But we should be decisive enough to be able to write and speak, "This I Believe." Do you believe our theology is suppose to change progressively as we mature, how so?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

My theology has changed a lot since my early boyhood and manhood. In fact, I'd say that everyone's theology changes as they obtain new experiences, fellowship with other Christians, and study the word.

Example: If someone were to get saved at a Billy Graham crusade, it's highly likely that this person would not have a clue about the doctrine of the holy trinity, the diety of Christ, or other central doctrines of the Christian faith. Essentially, what they have done is embraced the most important doctrine - justification by faith - and understood that they have been adopted into God's kingdom and are no longer bound for hell. This, of course, is justifcation. Sanctification is the ongoing work in which God, through the Holy Spirit, molds us into the image of Christ.

It's obvious to me that sanctification includes a fine-tuning of doctrine. So yes, I think that our personal theology does change.

Just don't compromise the essentials.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

My theology has changed a lot since my early boyhood and manhood. In fact, I'd say that everyone's theology changes as they obtain new experiences, fellowship with other Christians, and study the word.

Example: If someone were to get saved at a Billy Graham crusade, it's highly likely that this person would not have a clue about the doctrine of the holy trinity, the diety of Christ, or other central doctrines of the Christian faith. Essentially, what they have done is embraced the most important doctrine - justification by faith - and understood that they have been adopted into God's kingdom and are no longer bound for hell. This, of course, is justifcation. Sanctification is the ongoing work in which God, through the Holy Spirit, molds us into the image of Christ.

It's obvious to me that sanctification includes a fine-tuning of doctrine. So yes, I think that our personal theology does change.

Just don't compromise the essentials.

Is that progressive through our entire walk in your estimation?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Is that progressive through our entire walk in your estimation?

It probably peaks more in our early walk.

Sometimes it goes to some very strange peaks in later life, but that could just be Alzheimer's. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I definitely agree that our theology should change! As we mature in the faith and spend more time in the Word, becoming familiar with what the Bible says, I think a lot of misconceptions we unknowingly develop in the early days of our walk get challenged. As we get older (in faith and age), the glasses through which we see our world (what sociologists and philosophers call our "world-view") do tend to filter out more and more, but we should never black them out entirely. No one Christian has "arrived." I doubt even Paul could have said that.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  559
  • Birthday:  07/29/1975

Yes, I would say our views do change.

But here is one thing I always remember We change, BUT The truth Never does. When it comes to the bibles truth that is.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

There are core issues to the faith that should never change - i.e. Jesus' death and resurrection and the reason for it.

However there are other issues to the faith that - well, although we make a big issue out of it really aren't - tend to change (i.e. when will the rapture occur).

But also, as we mature we realize changes in our priorities. It has been found that Paul's writings show a change over time. In his earlier letters, he magnifies himself a lot. In his later letters, he considers himself "the least of the apostles."

So, in that sense, you should see changes.

Make sense?

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

We grow in the spiritual things the same way we grow in the natural things...

babes

children

fathers

with all of these growths our understanding changes...