• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

Is all philosophy bad or just man's philosophy as opposed to God's truth?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Is all philosophy bad or just man's philosophy as opposed to God's truth?

Any philosophy that does not have the truth of God as the foundation is wrong. Though it will have elements of truth, it is not absolute truth and thus is false. Philosophy, for it to be truth, must be based upon scripture and the absolute truth of God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

Philosophy, including logic, can be a valuable tool in this world. Sometimes it is neither good nor bad. However, it can tell us nothing about God.

Philosophy, including logic, can be a valuable tool in this world. Sometimes it is neither good nor bad. However, it can tell us nothing about God.

Not necessarily. For instance, Logic:

Man has morals, even though guided by society, they still exist. There is no explanation and in fact they are counter-intuitive to certain desires within men, thus, God implanted morals on men. This tells us that God cares about how we live our lives.

Philosophically:

God created us in His image, both physically and spiritually. Though this makes us special in creation, we are still not above creation in an ontological sense. God made the spiritual (invisible) and physical (visible) world and thus both are on equal footing whereas God is above it. These makes us Metaphysical dualist:

God

_________

Everything else

This tells us that, to God, devaluing any part of His creation is an offense, especially with humans who are in His image.

Thus, logic and philosophy can tell us things about God. Though they cannot tell us everything (for instance, Christ being both man and God is beyond understanding), it can shed light on certain matters.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

quote:

"Thus, logic and philosophy can tell us things about God. Though they cannot tell us everything (for instance, Christ being both man and God is beyond understanding), it can shed light on certain matters."

SW:

God is revealed now only through His Word. While reason and logic can sometimes be helpful in understanding that revelation, they cannot be trusted nor be a judge of God's Bible. Paul tells us in his letter to the Romans that we should be able to know God logically through the creation and will be judged at that standard. However he also says our knowledge of God through the creation is of no value because of sin and thus we stand condemned.

God is revealed now only through His Word. While reason and logic can sometimes be helpful in understanding that revelation, they cannot be trusted nor be a judge of God's Bible. Paul tells us in his letter to the Romans that we should be able to know God logically through the creation and will be judged at that standard. However he also says our knowledge of God through the creation is of no value because of sin and thus we stand condemned.

Ah, yes, but His Word is also chalk full of logic and philosophy. :)

They are not the final revelation or the final say on God, they are, however, part of that revelation. It is not that they are helpful, it is that they are truly needed if we are to understand God because they are a part of the revelation.

Guest jckduboise

Colossians 2:1 I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not met me personally.

2 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,

3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

4 I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine sounding arguments.

5 For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you7 in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.

6 So then just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him,

7rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,

10 and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

Phylosophy is just another word for mans arrogance.

In Him, we do not need the foolish notions of man who calls his "knowledge" phylosophy.

Colossians 2:1 I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not met me personally.

2 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,

3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

4 I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine sounding arguments.

5 For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you7 in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.

6 So then just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him,

7rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,

10 and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

Phylosophy is just another word for mans arrogance.

In Him, we do not need the foolish notions of man who calls his "knowledge" phylosophy.

I already dealth with this passage of scripture in another topic, so I'll simply repost it:

Paul is speaking of worldly philosophies. In other words, not all philosophies are evil, just the ones that do not have their roots in Christ. That is the context, not that all philosophy is evil. To strengten this point, here is a very trustworthy commentary:

Paul was concerned that no false teacher take the Colossian believers captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy (cf. v. 4). He wrote here not against all philosophy but against false philosophy, as the Bible also speaks against false religion (James 1:26). The particular false philosophy at Colosse was

How can one live in Christ and have a world view?

I think the question should be, "How can one live in Christ and not have a worldview?"

A worldview is how you view the world...maybe you are thinking a "worldly view." The two are different. Worldview comes from the German word Weltanschauung which can mean "ways of seeing" or "perceptual frameworks." It is a framework of what we believe and then subsequently view the world with. Every single belief/philosophy in this world has a worldview...and every person has a worldview as well. Paul tells us that Christ "renews our minds." This is actually the New Testament concept of a "worldview." It means that He comes in and changes how we view the world. Thus, it is impossible to be in Christ...it is impossible to be a HUMAN....and not have a worldview.

The thing is, a worldview is comprised of certain philosophical concepts. Thus a Christian worldview is still comprised of philosophy derived from the Bible (as my last post showed and evidenced by the commentary).