IGNORED

Questions Regarding "Prophets"

Ovedya

Gosh no...that was a disaster!

But I consider all people of faith in Yeshua (who are regenerated through the Holy Spirit) to be one community. In other words, we are not divided by a church.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  613
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1959

Amen Yod!!!!!!!!!!! what sound wisdom i hear you speak :)

I believe we are all one body. Do I take it then that you don't believe in being a member of an individual church?

hmmm....well yes and no.

I believe that being committed to people (not the doctrines of a denominational stream or any leadership of men) in my local community IS being committed to the Body at large.

I am still a member at the first place I walked into as a new believer, almost 17 years ago. I'm actually a missionary sent out by them.

But I have also attended other congregations/churches over that time and never saw a need to redefine my membership to another church (sub-kingdom)

Also, other than Ananias and Saphira, what was the disaster of communal living with the early church? I'm not seeking to follow that pattern, but know of some people in New Mexico that are doing just that and looking to find others interested in setting up their own Christian communities around the country. I'm not buying into all that, but just letting you know there are others that believe it is the New Testament pattern.

That model was a disaster because of human nature. Few are willing to actually work if someone else received the fruit of it. This is why Paul was always taking up an offering for the poor saints of Jerusalem. (Side note: this was the only time an offering is mentioned in the New Testament so to be truly "biblical" every offering we take should go to helping the poor saints instead of building programs or salaries)

The modern kibbutz is a closer pattern of that original church and it works fine as long as everyone is willing to submit to each other. They have no problem doing so when motivated by economic reasons....but for spiritual reasons???

Fat chance.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I would like to thank you for opening this topic for discussion.

I am one who is very skeptical of prophesies that are not already written down in the Bible.

I am not denying the existence of modern day prophets but I am not convinced either.

I believe this discussion will help me immensly, please continue.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  613
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/02/1959

butero that is a deep question.......... and in this day and time i would have to answer no for the so called church i see promoted today is not the church of Jesus Christ....... what i see grieves my heart and spirit to no end..... i will have to think more on how to answer your question , just did,nt want you to think i was ignoring you

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/11/1956

Hey, I like this type of conversation. It sure reveals alot.

For example, if there were not any true prophets, why do we have 'false' ones? False ones are sent to make us throw the baby out with the water.

Also, consider the new testament example in the book of Acts of the great blessing the prophets were to the Body of Christ. They gave warning of the famine that was going to happen. The Church believed them enough to redirect their actions and save up provisions, and help others.

What about hurricane katrina? Wouldn't have been nice to have a tested group of prophets tell us specifically about it and warn us? You bet. I believe that is what the Lord wants.

I believe He wants the prophets to gather and grow together in Him and bless the Body. What a glorious testimony the Body of Christ would receive and there would be many who would believe in Jesus because of their obedience.

But, what is the problem?

Too many immature ones, or false ones, or or or...

I know of one who is a real prophet, called years ago into that office. Just only 8 years ago she yielded to her call. The spiritual persecution was almost too much. But for the precious call of the Lord Jesus and her relationship with Him, she would have quit a long time ago. She tells of how she is not ready, and she isn't. The information from the Lord has not been given to her yet to share. It is like a school, it takes time. A prophet must be accurate.

When we find a real prophet, there is a blessing. I long for them to gather and begin to share with us what the Lord has to say to us.

stace

What about hurricane katrina? Wouldn't have been nice to have a tested group of prophets tell us specifically about it and warn us?

There were. No one listened because they weren't famous.

We have no shortage of prophetic utterances.

We have a lack of discernment in too many "shepherds" compounded by a spiritual coma state. We are feeding our souls instead of our spirits in most congregations of the west.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Excuse me for cutting in . . . and I appologize if this has been mentioned -

"Prophet" is as much an office as the apostle, the pastor, the teacher and the evangelist.

Odd how somewhere some centuries ago the offices of apostle and prophet were no longer recognized. :24:

But anyway, just as evangelists and pastors and teachers need to be trained and commissioned, so ought prophets and apostles.

Of course, this requires the church needing to be equipped to train such. :blink:

Also, other than Ananias and Saphira, what was the disaster of communal living with the early church? I'm not seeking to follow that pattern, but know of some people in New Mexico that are doing just that and looking to find others interested in setting up their own Christian communities around the country. I'm not buying into all that, but just letting you know there are others that believe it is the New Testament pattern.

What happened with Ananias and Saphira is they said they gave all when in fact they did not. Now, if they had told the truth, that what they gave was part of the price, they wouldn't have gotten into trouble. Their sin was not the keeping of the part, but the lying about what the part.

I believe what Yod is talking about with the "failure" is that by selling their property, they gave away what may have been a continual source of income. Sure, it was good to give, but what did they have to give from then on out? And did they make themselves poor in the process, so that now they had to be taken care of?

Guest searching His ways

I can really feel you on this topic. It makes me sick to my stomach all the prophets.apostles,pastors,etc.Where are the servants????? Who was the greatest prohpet ,apostle,leader?Wasn't it jesus,but He was the greatest servant so much so if you didn't let Him serve you you would have no part with Him.Anyways i could on and on ,I wake up everyday asking Him where is your move on this planet ? I'm not see it based on what your Spirit is putting in my heart.At first i just wanted to go prove thier wrong,walking in spirtual pride.The place God has me now is that i have a work to do.He keeps pointing out that i still planks in my eye.That He has a family buisness that is running ,that He is in charge of.That i need to get my personal task from Him.Besides ,one buisness dosn't go tell another buisness how to run it,even if were in the same buisness.It's up to them to meet whos really in charge.I'm not good at addresses in the book of Acts ,someone said if they are from God we don't want to go against God,if not they'll amount to nothing. So the place i'm at is if we who are hearing the voice of the Spirit that the Church is missing the mark.We each one of us personally have something to do besides proving the high powered prophets wrong.To much negative energy ,much funner touching someone by the Spirit each day.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/11/1956

Hey,

I believe the prophets gathering and being a blessing is something the Lord wants. I believe there needs to be a school of the prophets where they come together, grow together and learn how to hear and discern what the Lord is saying. Each would have a part, a special area of hearing. I believe this is what the Lord wants. It is just hard to get them together. Oh, but what a blessing when they do.

stace