• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Christian rock players believe they make the type of music they do for God and not for the devil, but the fact remains that doing something that is not right in God's sight is wrong regardless of the motive.

Therefore, you need to determine whether the plan is right in God's sight, regardless of your motives for doing it. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked..."

--------------

It seems you are talking about having these children dance at church services. Completely neglecting the question of whether performance dancing is ever appropriate, I do not believe that this would be appropriate in any case.

The church is not an arena for performance, but rather a place dedicated to the edification of God's people and the direct worship of the Lord.

Classical music is not ungodly. Yet, we do not hold classical music recitals during church services, but rather use music whose words (if instrumental, the words are widely known and recognisable) are edifying to the people and glorifying to God.

Our church has a softball team. It does not play as part of a church service, because, once again, a softball game or demonstration is out of place in a church service.

----------

As far as your statements about the type of dancing you'd be doing, I don't know what your standards for godly music are, but please consider that all music affects our emotions and bodies. I do not believe that listening to jazz in the first place is the best way to go... much less dancing in the manner that accompanies it.

----------

Your idea to get the girls of your church in a position to do a fun activity accompanied by devotions is a good one. Perhaps you could pray about other possibilities? In any case, pray about this further :thumbsup: .

so are you saying christian rock is bad? why? what's the difference between performing dance and just dancing? is ballet inappropriate?your church doesn't have a worship team who perform music for the glory of god?for the direct woship(hence the name worship team) of god? so why is classical music ok but not some other types?what's wrong with jazz? please don't take offense, i'm just trying to understand your point of view. i've never really heard these things before from a christian

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

yea.... i don't really think christian rock is bad.... and actually i wasn't gonna perform in the church services... i was just gonna have a little presentation for the parents at the end of the season or sumptin... and maybe work up from there if the Lord wants me to.... as for jazz... it doesn't mean the kind of jazz u normally see on t.v.... it's just much faster paced than ballet... they're both fine in my opinion.... i kno i wouldn't do the kind of jazz on t.v.... that is wrong (well MOST of it is... if not all).... and i would teach the kids to honor god with their bodies... not tear him down.... just my opinion... ttyl. ~NESS

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/23/1973

If you open the hearts of those who dance. And let the Holy Spirit inform the dance. Than you use a gift you have been given by G-d. Than use that gift to praise him and bring him glory. And the Holy Spirit will not let the dances even look remotly sinfull.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

so are you saying christian rock is bad? why? what's the difference between performing dance and just dancing? is ballet inappropriate?your church doesn't have a worship team who perform music for the glory of god?for the direct woship(hence the name worship team) of god? so why is classical music ok but not some other types?what's wrong with jazz? please don't take offense, i'm just trying to understand your point of view. i've never really heard these things before from a christian

No problem :emot-handshake: .

I believe what I do about music because I've studied the ways in which music affects us. The evidence is clear that there is simply no such thing as "neutral" music, regardless of what the words are. All music influences the emotions and the bodies of the people listening to it in a very real way.

As Christians, we are exhorted to do everything to the glory of God. I believe that that includes choosing music that is in line with His purposes and character. Based on the troubling effects of rock music, I do not think it is the type of music Christians ought to listen to, even if it has Christian words attached.

----------------------

The reason I keep saying "performance dance" in order to avoid confusion. In the Bible, when the Ark of the Covenant was brought into the city, David was so full of joy that he danced as he followed it. This was not a rehearsed dance performed for others to see. It was his private joy at the presence of God expressed spontaneously.

Note, he didn't take time out of the temple worship to say, "Today I'm going to do a little dance for you guys." :noidea:

In any case, it was a very different thing from anything we see today.

-----------------------

We don't have a "worship team", but we do have "specials", during which a person or group of people will play instruments or sing. But, as I said, the songs either have words glorifying to God and edifying to the people, or the instrumental music is comprised of those songs, which are well known and thus will have recognizable words.

-----------------------

You have never heard Christians arguing for the use of conservative music? Well, I suppose it is becoming less and less common.

I believe the Bible teaches "seperation" from anything in this world - immodest clothing, inappropriate television, etc. - that is not in line with God's holiness, regardless of how much of society accepts it.

I believe that includes forms of music that impact us in a way averse to God's purposes or present the image to the world that we desire to have what they have, when they should be the ones desiring what we have... Jesus Christ.

"I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me." (Psalm 101:3)

If you open the hearts of those who dance. And let the Holy Spirit inform the dance. Than you use a gift you have been given by G-d. Than use that gift to praise him and bring him glory. And the Holy Spirit will not let the dances even look remotly sinfull.

i really do want to impact the kids lives.... tremendously.... cuz Jesus is just so awesome... i kno he'll be able to make this happen somehow.... unless he doesn't want it to happen....hmmm....

Edited by hopedancer92

um... i have another question... i f i asked someone about it.... who should it be first? my parents, the pastor, another sister...?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

It is always best to go to your parents first. :whistling:

Thanks! :whistling:

Guest SheepDog
I was thinkin i would try doing a half hour class of jazz class (not hip hop, jazz)and a half hour of ballet... but they woodn't have to go to both... i've thought about this a lot... but i still haven't quite told anyone... remember i dunno if they wood let me do it... i'm only 13 ( almost 14). i think i wood try putting a devotional in the middle of the 2 classes... that way if they don't wanna stay.... they could leave rite after that... and if they do wanna stay... that gives their bodies a bit of a cool down. as to showing people the dances... i was thinking of first just showing their parents their dances as like a short recital type thing... and the pastor could come, too, to see if it was ok to perform for church.... because our church never had anybody dance in church before. i f u have any more suggestions... or answers... please reply!!! THANKS! :whistling:

Bless you hopedancer92,

It sounds like you are very responsibly going about this and being very concientious about it's impact on your church. It's a great idea to have it previewed by the parents and your pastor just to make sure it's all acceptable to them.

Your honesty and kind nature is admirable :)

God Bless,

SD

Guest SheepDog
Don't do it. It is not appropriate for any church, not just Baptist. Church is not a bar or dance club. Church is not a place for entertainment. Don't do it.

2 Samuel 6:14

And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

?????????? :whistling: