• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi!

This topic is for those who has read at least one of Dan's Brown novels.

I would be grateful for different points of view about next questions:

1)Do these books bring any evil to christians?Why yes/why not?

2)Are they useful to read?

3)Can they create some doubts in modern society about Bible?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Hi!

1. The books in themselves do not bring evil on inividual Christians. They do however make statements about Christianity that are not historically or biblically accurate

2. They are great page turners. Dan Brown is an excellent writer of fiction. He makes a classic mistake though. When writing "Historical Fiction", it is fine for the author to create foreground characters and fictional story lines to go with them. On the other hand, it is not correct for the author to change the historical background of the setting of the story. For example, when writers of fiction set their stories in WWII, they may create fictiional characters and story lines, but you never see them having Germany win the war. They make sure that the historical backgrounds are true. Dan Brown fails here. He changes the backgrounds regarding the church, and historical individuals. Because it is universally accepted that the backgrounds will be accurate, people assume, when they read Brown's books, that the backgound information he has provided is accurate. Thus they believe Brown when He maintains that Constantine controlled the council of Nicea, and that the deity of Jesus was not universally taught in the church until after Nicea. The truth is that Constantine did not preside over Nicea, and that the Deity of Jesus was not discussed at Nicea. His deity was agreed upon already. What was discussed was whether or not He had eternally existed. Brown also maintains that the vote on Jesus' deity was close. It was not (and it was not a vote on His deity). The vote stating that Jesus was co-eternal with the Father, was 300 + for and 2 against

3. They can create doubts. They can also give a person who is already mad at the church, a reason to stay mad. On the other hand they can also cause seekers to ask questions. We as believers hould be read to use things like this as bridges to share the good news of Jesus with peopl who do ask questions.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

Hi!

#1: I don't beleive that they do. I am a Christian and I have read all 4 of his books and I read them knowing that the book is for the purpose of entertainment, not a refernece guide.

#2: What do you mean by useful to read? Is anything useful to read really?

#3: I beleive that non beleivers and new Christians can read the books and use some of the information in there and go on that. I hope not but I am sure it happens with anything people read. Can't go blaming one authur.

Yhank you both for your answers. I agree with with both of you.

The reason I've started this topic was the reaction of Vatican to the premiere

of Da Vinci Code.

When the scandal began I thought that the whole thing was misapprehended by

some churches. Some of my religious friends told me that they even didn't want to

read and to watch this Dan's heresy.

I have also read all his novels. But I don't think people have to take them as serious threat

to church.We have to make the difference between real things and made up.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  125
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

My dear friend I have read both books and I thought they were good fiction, I enjoy reading. I also know that this may cause some Christians to be angry because they know that what was written is not the truth, Ihave read some other books where the author places some truth and some fiction together to make the story more interesting, and it doesn't seem to me that people get upset about it. I do think these books may cause a young Christian some problems, however there are many more mature Christians that can help them over the pitfalls if they ask. I try to use these books as an opportunity to share my faith when the subject comes up. I try not to get to upset over them. The problem with the movie is that they don't say it is fiction, that sad. They assume you know orjust don't care. To tell the truth I don't think they say any movie is fiction, they may say this is based on a true story other than that you are left on your own. Just use your head remember what you believe and enjoy the books. Love in Christ littlejoe

Thank you Littlejoe!Maybe I should use your lines to convince my "inconvincible" friends that reading such books is not a sin.This is a good point to justify myself...

I am not a fan. I have just read and made some conclusions. And they seem to me as computer quest - lots of enigmas to solve and the plot just attracts attention. But I didn't take them too serious.

I have just devoted 3% of my lifetime for reading them...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/04/1963

Hi!

1- Not at all. A Christian armed with the Word and Spirit of God as well as an adequate level of historic information will easily identify the lies and fabrications Mr. Brown has included in his books as self-reputed researched 'facts.'

2- Not really. Perhaps reading about Leonardo Da Vinci's art or history books will be more useful. Dan Brown can definitely write novels, there's no question about it. Now, has he brought anything unique? I don't think so. He is provocative and chooses controversial subjects but it is more comercial that genuinely literary. He heavily owes a master like Robert Lundlum regarding style and construction in the contemporary thriller genre. If you want thrilling suspense, sound erudition and impeccable technique in religious fiction you should try the modern classic 'The Name of The Rose' by Umberto Eco, which has been also taken to the big screen. For a Christian a good read of the Bible is mandatory with regards to the real testimony of the Gospels; and I think that their simple solemnity, majestic morality and historic accuracy are unsurpassed. O, girl! I still get a knot down my throat in passages like the Mount Sermon and the Crucifixion after having read them so many times!

3- Not beyond what has already been doubted for centuries and not precisely at popular level but in scholastic theologic, phylosophic and scientific circles. The good thing is that many readers/viewers will be stimulated to go into the sources -i.e. the Gospels- to form their own opinion independently.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

I really don't know why people make such a big deal about his novels? It is fictional reading people!!!!!!!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I really don't know why people make such a big deal about his novels? It is fictional reading people!!!!!!!

Once again I find myself in your sandbox.. :emot-hug: