• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

luke 6:37-38

37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

was wondering about some of the viewpoints on what these lines are talking about. i know what they are commonly used for, but was trying to get diff. perspectives. so... what do you think?

i do agree about the judging issue but not the money. i know several have taught about money and used this scripture to 'assure' believers but i dont think it fits here, i dont think he's talking about money at all.

if matthew and luke are commenting on the same discourse, then it is all about judging as you mentioned earlier. i feel this has everything to do w/ judging others, more in the sense of salvation, than it does money. or even, 'im better than you' type attitudes. i agree w/ you that many feel we arent to point out wrong to those caught in a trespass(Gal 6:1). but if thats the case, then paul was wrong for calling peter out on his hypocrisy! (Gal 2:11-14)

11When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. 12Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.

14When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

the problem here is the we tend to not know when someone is clearly in the wrong! we have misguided judgements.

so, what do you think?

for a while thats all i thought, that it was judging, then money, b/c that is what is taught! but then as you also stated, i began to see that how would he all of a sudden throw in a give money get money comment. its funny, what you said was almost verbatim my thoughts when i looked at this contextually or exegetically.

i also await other viewpoints :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

In my opinion this is another interpretation of God's commandment - He told us to be as respectful to our neigbours as we are towards ourselves. In other words - all the little things you do will end up coming back to you. Sounds like a stimilus, doesn't it?

In my opinion this is another interpretation of God's commandment - He told us to be as respectful to our neigbours as we are towards ourselves. In other words - all the little things you do will end up coming back to you. Sounds like a stimilus, doesn't it?

stimuli!! thats a great word picture for me! :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

luke 6:37-38

37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

was wondering about some of the viewpoints on what these lines are talking about. i know what they are commonly used for, but was trying to get diff. perspectives. so... what do you think?

many people use this set of verses as an excuse to justify their ways and means.... they do not want their toes stepped on at all......

we are also told that if we can not judge the small things of this earth, how in the blue blazes are we suppose to be able to judge the angels above? ( my wording, not the Bibles, but this is what is said in essence).....

the measure that is used for judging, is prayer, love and the Word of God.....

if we are not to judge (starting with my own self, and then my family first, before i step out) then how are we to use the Word of God for reproof? for growth? for strength? for edification, exhautation and comfort and teaching .....

If we Love God ( Truely Love Him ) we will be keeping His commandments.....

which ones????

ALL OF THEM..... the two greatest cover all the others..... if we Love the Lord our God with all our Might, Soul,................ and Love they neighbor, as thyself,......... we will not have to worry much about the others, for they will be taken care of.

I say this, if I attend a church fellowship for any length of time, (more then just a couple visits) and do not get my toes stepped on, something is going on..... one might be the Preacher is not preaching the entire truth, or watering it down...... or, my heart may have become so calous that i no longer feel my toes being stepped on, or i have become perfect, and my toes never cross the line anymore......

first off, the last one on the list will not happen on this earth, so if my toes are not getting stepped on from time to time, i need to step back anyways, and see what I am doing, for i need to judge myself first, then if i am in line with the Bible, i am ok, but if I am not, and know i have crossed the line, and my toes are still not sore from being stepped on, i check to see if they have been stepped on or not...... there are some fellowships i have been to, that my toes never got touched, and i was way way passed the line, it was like there was a pillow placed ontop of my toes to pad the judgement....... not a good thing....

there are times that some one will judge some one else, in the light of being "Better then thou", or they might be bringing out the faults in another so that their faults do not look as bad..... this is not proper judgement, it is actually wrong.. not done in love, of for actual concern for the brother, but for bringing them to the forfront for public ridicule.....

proper judgement is for correcting a brother, to keep them on the path, to raise them up out of the mirey pits, to stand them back to their feet after they have been knocked down, and brushing the dust off of their backsides..... not for taking our swords and running them through....

The modernday Christian Church Fellowships do just that..... our brother gets wounded in battle, and insted of leanding a helping hand, we take our sword and run them through, we kill our wounded.... we should, instead, be tending to the wounds, bandaging them up with love and kindnes, helping our wounded brothers back to their feet and back to their place in the battle.... not writing them off as lost forever......

we do need to be careful about how we go about "judging "others..... we must ensure our hearts are in the right place, and the Bible tells us how to aproach our brothers when they are not doing right..... we must follow what is laid before us as our instructions.

mike

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Thanks, Mike. That was great. :)

• Followers:  3