• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I may catch the wrath of some here :emot-questioned: , but I'm going to share some thoughts I was having tonight. :21:

First of all, as I've stated many times before, I like almost any type of music that doesn't glorify sin or have anti-Christian values, etc. Tonight, on the way home, I was listening to Elvis singing gospel music. Yes, I know the standard stuff of Elvis was off into drugs, etc., but listening to his gospel songs, I honestly believe there was a man who believed what he was singing! :) Maybe his personal life didn't mesh with what he was singing, but there is not a doubt in my mind that God gave the man a talent and, yes, I am very blessed by the gospel music he performed.

Another case in point is my favorite, Hank Williams, Sr. Yes, the same thing as with Elvis; he didn't live a life as he should have, but still yet, IMO, God used the man to write some of the greatest gospel songs I've ever heard. One only need listen to the lyrics of "I Saw The Light" and you cannot tell me that at one point, the man had not had an experience with God. I hope he made things right before he died and that he's singing "I Saw The Light" around God's throne.

Now to my take on Christian Metal, Christian Rap, etc. I, for one, do not enjoy secular metal, never have and never will. However, even if one uses the argument that "the devil invented metal" I still have no problem with Christian Metal. It's no different than taking a "house of ill repute" and turning it into a church. The performers of Christian Metal are taking a format that the enemy has used and using it to God's glory! How can someone be against that? Music is not a person that can be guilty of sin; the person in whose hands it is in determines what is done with it!!!! It's that simple, come on now! I can pick up my guitar and start singing about drinking and drugging-does that make my guitar evil? Nope! Someone else could pick up that same guitar and use it for God's glory!!!! :noidea:

LawyerforGod: I know you probably mean well, but lay off of the heavy-handed attitude. You ARE NOT God and it is to Him that we will stand or fall! Your type of attitude actually does more to run people away from Christianity than it does to bring them to it. We have non-believers who read these forums and do you honestly think your type of attitude displays the meek, humble attitude of Christ? I'm asking as a brother in Christ that you would lay off and perhaps tone down a bit. :huh:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I may catch the wrath of some here :noidea: , but I'm going to share some thoughts I was having tonight. :)

First of all, as I've stated many times before, I like almost any type of music that doesn't glorify sin or have anti-Christian values, etc. Tonight, on the way home, I was listening to Elvis singing gospel music. Yes, I know the standard stuff of Elvis was off into drugs, etc., but listening to his gospel songs, I honestly believe there was a man who believed what he was singing! :o Maybe his personal life didn't mesh with what he was singing, but there is not a doubt in my mind that God gave the man a talent and, yes, I am very blessed by the gospel music he performed.

Another case in point is my favorite, Hank Williams, Sr. Yes, the same thing as with Elvis; he didn't live a life as he should have, but still yet, IMO, God used the man to write some of the greatest gospel songs I've ever heard. One only need listen to the lyrics of "I Saw The Light" and you cannot tell me that at one point, the man had not had an experience with God. I hope he made things right before he died and that he's singing "I Saw The Light" around God's throne.

Now to my take on Christian Metal, Christian Rap, etc. I, for one, do not enjoy secular metal, never have and never will. However, even if one uses the argument that "the devil invented metal" I still have no problem with Christian Metal. It's no different than taking a "house of ill repute" and turning it into a church. The performers of Christian Metal are taking a format that the enemy has used and using it to God's glory! How can someone be against that? Music is not a person that can be guilty of sin; the person in whose hands it is in determines what is done with it!!!! It's that simple, come on now! I can pick up my guitar and start singing about drinking and drugging-does that make my guitar evil? Nope! Someone else could pick up that same guitar and use it for God's glory!!!! :huh:

LawyerforGod: I know you probably mean well, but lay off of the heavy-handed attitude. You ARE NOT God and it is to Him that we will stand or fall! Your type of attitude actually does more to run people away from Christianity than it does to bring them to it. We have non-believers who read these forums and do you honestly think your type of attitude displays the meek, humble attitude of Christ? I'm asking as a brother in Christ that you would lay off and perhaps tone down a bit. :21:

You sum it up quite wonderfully Ronald. :emot-questioned: God Bless! (Although I must say Elvis isn't my favourite, besides the awesome hair :24: )

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I like Elvis.... :emot-questioned:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I have refrained from posting in this thread because of the heaviness of some of the opinion, but I need to say something.

I always enjoyed both secular and Christian music, until a few years after I became filled with the Holy Spirit. You see, it is a heart thing. We aren't cookie-cutter Christians, who automatically conform to some arbitrary mode of behaviour in all areas. There are just some areas of our lives that change the more we consecrate ourselves to Him.

It's all about Jesus! He is the one who tells us what He wants us to change, and He tells us how, and when!

We are all on different levels of growth here! When God speaks to you about your listening habits, then you will sure know it!

I have Christian friends who listen to secular music. Do I tell them to turn it off? Do I impose what the Lord has spoken to me about it? No. That is between them and God. If they ask me, I tell them. If I am teaching a new believer, (and I am at the moment) then I will touch upon the subject. However, it is an issue between the Holy Spirit and each individual child of God!

He will do it! That's His promise to us! He wants us all to conform to His likeness, and He will speak to each of us at a time that He sees fit about all these issues: food, music, dress, etc. A time in our lives to which He Himself brings us, where He knows we will respond!

In the meantime, unless you feel a tug in your spirit about it, worship with all your heart in whichever music you feel so led to do it by.

Blessings! :emot-questioned:

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Great post, Axe! :emot-questioned: Words of wisdom, as usual.... :noidea:

I have refrained from posting in this thread because of the heaviness of some of the opinion, but I need to say something.

I always enjoyed both secular and Christian music, until a few years after I became filled with the Holy Spirit. You see, it is a heart thing. We aren't cookie-cutter Christians, who automatically conform to some arbitrary mode of behaviour in all areas. There are just some areas of our lives that change the more we consecrate ourselves to Him.

It's all about Jesus! He is the one who tells us what He wants us to change, and He tells us how, and when!

We are all on different levels of growth here! When God speaks to you about your listening habits, then you will sure know it!

I have Christian friends who listen to secular music. Do I tell them to turn it off? Do I impose what the Lord has spoken to me about it? No. That is between them and God. If they ask me, I tell them. If I am teaching a new believer, (and I am at the moment) then I will touch upon the subject. However, it is an issue between the Holy Spirit and each individual child of God!

He will do it! That's His promise to us! He want us all to conform to His likeness, and He will speak to each of us at a time that He sees fit about all these issues: food, music, dress, etc. A time in our lives to which He Himself brings us, where He knows we will respond!

In the meantime, unlesss you feel a tug in your spirit about it, worship with all your heart in whichever music you feel so led to do it by.

Blessings! :noidea:

Amen!

:emot-questioned:

He will do it! That's His promise to us! He wants us all to conform to His likeness, and He will speak to each of us at a time that He sees fit about all these issues: food, music, dress, etc. A time in our lives to which He Himself brings us, where He knows we will respond!

In the meantime, unless you feel a tug in your spirit about it, worship with all your heart in whichever music you feel so led to do it by.

Blessings! :noidea:

:emot-questioned::huh::21::)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It is "bad" music that you pirated. Illegal. 400 songs? Do you realize how much fine you could be up for and possibly jail time? Pirated music is stealing. Breaking commandments of God.

Downloading music isn't stealing, it's copying. If I record a radio station is that stealing? If it is stealing, why? And do you truly believe recording a song off a radio station should be illegal?

Downloading music is only illegal because the RIAA is greedy (you know, greed, one of the things God tells us is a sin) and wants people to either listen to commercial radio stations for music, or buy $20 CDs in stores (even though the artist gets hardly anything from the sale, and the CD costs nothing to make.) Although that's all discussion for another time.

If God created heavy metal, it would have existed way before this last century. Africans drum up demons by their beat. Seriously. So does heavy metal.

Gospel was only around for the past 100 years. Does that mean we should be listening to gregorian chants? I don't like those very much and I think they'd be a danger to roadways as they'd put most drivers to sleep rather quickly. Also, rap music was around longer than metal (rap music originated in the early 1900s as gospel music with offensive lyrics.) does that mean it is more godly? Lastly, the african drum music you refer too has been around longer than any other form of music, does that mean it is the most godly?

It is not the Almighty Lord God of Heaven who would "put in you" a liking for this but Satan, nor would he use it for his praise... but Satan would definately use it for his praise. When you say God, perhaps it is the god of this world.

This forum is so annoying to quote on, anyway... wouldn't Satan choose a more popular style of music? Why doesn't he use pop pop music for his praise? Why would he choose something that so few people listen to.

Also, how can I prove that satan is NOT involved in all metal music? It'd be impossible to do that (can't prove a negative.) What would be possible, is for someone to prove praying too loud or too fast is evil. So if you can convince me somehow that praying too loud or two fast is evil, I'll take your word for it.

Edited by Bob Dole

Actually I started a topic on it a long time back-if you want to read it, here's the link:

http://www.worthyboards.com/index.php?showtopic=3188&hl=

Forgive me Ronald, but I'm sort of afraid to revive an 8 month old topic was a post on music piracy, hehe. :emot-puke:

My opinion on it is that you shouldn't be doing it if you can afford it. I now make a decent amount of money a month (for being 15) and I have an easy way to buy individual songs off the internet (so I don't have to buy a CD that I like one song on), so I can just no longer justify pirating music.

However, I do know people who don't have jobs and want to just avoid that stress/pressure a little longer, and I think for them, it is okay to pirate music just because they don't have the money.

Basically I think you should pay if you have the means, but if you don't, it shouldn't stop you from listening to music.