• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  359
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

Pray for the +Peace+ of Israel!

re: Left over Communion Wine/Juice - How does your church dispose of it? :noidea:

I was just wondering how your churches dispose of Communion Wine that is left over? :24:

Have you ever thought aabout this?

Snow4JC

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

What is the MCC?

Also, the rubrics call for ALL to be consumed. If after the entire congregation is communicated, any of either specie remains, first the clergy will eat/drink it, then the Acolytes, if any yet remains.

Some clergy will take the consecrated elements for visitation to the house-bound, hospitalized, etc. Or it may even be stored in the Tabernacle for use in the near future.

I cannot think of a circumstance under which it would be buried, I have never read a rubric which suggests that. It is a custom with which I am entirely unaware.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

We always took it home. It is not disrespectful. It is not a holy object. Only God is holy. Treating something like that as a holy object smacks of religiosity, something that God hates and Jesus was up against daily with the Pharisees.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

depends on if it is Welchs or if it is Best Buy....

Guest Spook

re: Left over Communion Wine/Juice - How does your church dispose of it? :emot-questioned:

I was just wondering how your churches dispose of Communion Wine that is left over? :noidea:

Have you ever thought aabout this?

Snow4JC

Every catholic (note the small "c") church I've ever known (Romans, Anglicans, Orthdox, Lutherans, some high-church Presbyterians) consume all the wine that is consecrated in a Eucharist. In our parish, the priest drinks any that remains. If there were too much, he would ask the acolyte (an adult male) to consume it. Usually, there is only a couple of tablespoons of wine remaining at the end of communion.

After it is consumed, the chalice is rinsed with water twice and this also is drunk by the priest. Later, after the service, the cruet that contained the wine prior to its consecration and the chalice and paten (the gold plate on which the consecrated bread is carried) are washed in a special sink called a piscina. Its drain goes directly to the earth, not into the common sewer.

Consecrated bread is sometimes "reserved" after a service, for use in abbreviated communions for the sick in hospitals or shut-ins at home. Occasionally, this bread will be used in a Eucharist on a day when the tradition declines to perform a consecration (i.e. Good Friday).

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

We drink it.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I made croutons out of the bread. Sometimes the birds got it!

Guest Spook
Is it more holy in a fancy gem encrusted goblet? or is it more holy in a wooden cup?

Is it more holy if it is made from grapes from the vatican grounds? (I don't know if there are any, im just asking). Or is it more holy if its made from grapes grown in my back yard fertilized with cow manure?

Is it more holy if taken in a catholic cathedral? or in my living room at home? or in a protestant church down the road?

Communion is a symbolic ritual partaken in rememberance of Jesus' work on the cross. The Juice and bread are not somehow holy in and of itself. If it were, then everyone who drinks juice and eats unleavened bread is a Christian by default.

I mean no disrespect, but its just juice and bread.

The holiness of the bread and wine does not arise from what contains it, nor the ground in which it was grown, or the venue in which is it is received. Its holiness comes from its consecration, its being set apart for the purpose of the Communion -- the fellowship in the body and blood of the Lord that comes by consuming the consecrated bread and wine. The "making something holy" is a standard worship dynamic that is seen copiously in the Leviticus. Many things were made holy -- human beings (the priests consecrated to the Lord's service), as well as objects used in worship (cups, tongs, altars, incense, etc.). Consecrating the bread and wine is what Jesus did at the first Eucharist and what the Church does at every succeeding eucharist.

So, yes, the bread and wine used in communion are holy -- not "in themselves," but because they are consecrated by the Word of God and prayer. The prayer of consecration in the Book of Common Prayer, at the relevant place, says this:

AND we most humbly beseech thee, O merciful Father, to hear us; and, of thy almighty goodness, vouchsafe to bless and sanctify, with thy Word and Holy Spirit, these thy gifts and creatures of bread and wine; that we, receiving them according to thy Son our Saviour Jesus Christ

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

I never thought about it, actually. I'll have to ask.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

re: Left over Communion Wine/Juice - How does your church dispose of it?

There is no such thing as 'communion wine'. There is wine, which on occasion reminds Christians of Christ's death as essential for spiritual life, just as wine was used (note tense) for physical survival for those in the Levant in NT times.

Those who think that spiritual value is inherent in a mere drink are the children of Satan, and are not far from insanity.

The agape should be a perfectly normal meal, except for the conversation. Whatever one eats and drinks should bring home that fact that Christ's death, applied to one's personal life, is as essential for spiritual health as one's physical foods are for physical health- and infinitely more important.

Edited by pointer