IGNORED

The ABC's of Interpretation

EricH

Guest shiloh357
Okay, so what you are saying is All scripture is literal. The interpretations can vary in style,(symbol, allegory, etc.) but the interpretation can never contradict the literal meaning. Think I got it.

You're almost there. :)

Interpretation is always literal. The purpose of interpretation is to uncover the literal menaing of the passage. Interpretation involves examining the objective values of the text such as literary context, historical/cultural context, linguistics, geography and so on. The idea is to get at what the author wants us to take from his text.

Allegory is not an interpretation method; at least, it should not be used as one. Allegory is better understood as a method teaching a spiritual concept with the understanding that one is using allegory. Often times, people use allegory to avoid having to deal with the literal meaning of a text. You will find that some people who don't believe in certain parts of the Bible will try to allegorize the stories so that they don't have to believe they actually happened (Genesis 1, Noah's Ark, the parting of the Red Sea, etc.).

Symbols are representative of a the literal meaning. What you want to do is look for the literal truth the symbol endeavors to convey.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

It would be nice if everyone would Learn instead of getting the word from doctrines that have been taught wrong for hundreds of years.

• 3 years later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  6,629
  • Content Per Day:  1.99

Grammatical principles #2 is very difficult simply because language changes so much, that often times it is VERY difficult to know what for certain the writer meant. Find an old magazine that was written 50 years ago. As you read it, you know its English, but my goodness, how strange it sounds!

May I suggest that one must go further back than an English or other non-biblical language Bible translation used for study. That is, for those difficult passages and/or ambagious words/terms, use a good lexicon (not a dictionary or concordance) to determine the best usage and interpretation of the word(s) in the passage being studied.

As a practical exercise:

First, in Hebrew: Psalms 101:2, I will behave myself wisely in a perfect [H8549] way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect [H8537] heart. [KJV]

Notice that two of different Hebrew terms are both translated as "perfect" in English, while in truth, neither term actually means perfect as the word is generally understood in today's vernacular.

Second, Greek: In Acts 17:29 [G2304], Romans 1:20 [G2305], and Colossians 2:9 [G2320] we find the term "Godhead" [KJV] used to denote three different Greek words having three different definitions (meanings, applications) that the English term Godhead does not adequately define, in order to correctly interpret these scriptures.

As an aside: The term Godhead does not exist in any original Bible language.

May all of our studies be fruitful.

The term may not exist but the idea and actions certainly do. It's a concise way to present the concept and the term 'godhead' is as accurate as saying, 'the revealing of the divine nature by presenting those attributes in the flesh.' God remains a spirit and yet can show himself to us in the flesh. Two distinct entities with equal power and authority, a God(head). It's an easily understood term as there is worldly experience in such a thing as a co-regency( Germany, Rome, Austria, England, Spain and Portugal.) God and Jesus, of course, are well above a co-regency as both, along with the Holy Spirit, are omnipotent, omniscient and immortal.

In my opinion word studies can take the place of conceptual understanding. If we use word studies to advance our understanding of the concepts God is teaching us, then fine. Word studies can often become an end of themselves as well as a source of pride and unsound doctrine.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

This is a subject worth digging up.  Notice you are quoting a post from 2009.  I do agree with trying to discover literal in gramatical and cultural context as Shiloh explained.  Word studies are also very meaningful to me since the first Bible I read was the Amplified.  KJV uses very antiquated language that has often changed in usage.  It is also useful to examine the verb tense to discover the literal meaning.  But as said, these can be used in extreme to reach for a pet doctrine instead of trying to discover the Truth impartially.

Blessings,

Willa

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  6,629
  • Content Per Day:  1.99

This is a subject worth digging up.  Notice you are quoting a post from 2009.  I do agree with trying to discover literal in gramatical and cultural context as Shiloh explained.  Word studies are also very meaningful to me since the first Bible I read was the Amplified.  KJV uses very antiquated language that has often changed in usage.  It is also useful to examine the verb tense to discover the literal meaning.  But as said, these can be used in extreme to reach for a pet doctrine instead of trying to discover the Truth impartially.

Blessings,

Willa

I didn't notice the date.:huh: But it is a good reminder. :)