• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I've been chomping at the bit to reply to this one since last night, lol! Here I am and I won't be denied! :emot-highfive:

Seriously, I do have a problem with heavy metal. Perhaps there are good metal groups out there, but frankly, metal is metal in my mind. Even if KISS and Ozzie aren't truly Satan worshippers and it's all an act, it's an act that I would want no part of! Personally I can't even stand Christian Metal, lol! Some years ago I heard Stryper performing "To Hell With The Devil" (which, to me, is an inappropriate title to begin with!) and, before I actually knew what it was, I was cringing at the sound of the music.

That being said, I think we have to differentiate between heavy metal and regular ole rock and roll. I still do not buy this argument that rock and roll music was used to conjure up evil spirits, etc. in Africa. For starters, the modern gospel quartet's idea came from Africa and also, the banjo was brought by slaves to America and I don't hear anyone decrying either of those as evil! :)

Rock and roll, as far as Elvis and Buddy Holly are concerned, was actually nothing more than country set to a driving rhythm. Some musical experts are now beginning to look at the thought that Buddy Holly did not create the first rock and roll recording, but that Hank Williams did it in 1947 with his minor hit "Move It On Over." A comparison of the melody of "Rock Around the Clock" to "Move It On Over" does leave one wondering where Holly got his inspiration for the song! As a matter of fact, Holly was a hillbilly yodeler before trying his hand at rock and roll!!! There were quite a few proto-rock type songs in the form of "boogies" by the likes of Tennessee Ernie Ford, Red Foley, and others in the 40's, but yet I hear no one crying how "evil" they are, lol!

I also would like to see some sources quoted for some of the things said on the website. Just because the Beach Boys are feeding goats doesn't mean they are devil worshippers for crying out loud! If that's the case, then Barney Fife and Andy Taylor were Satan worshippers too since they had the episode where the goat ate the dynamite! :blink: For one to be believable, they must give sources for quotes. Anyone can pull anything out of the air and say it, but it doesn't make it so.

And if a hard, driving rhythm is evil, then bluegrass is certainly devilish!!!! I've already pointed out that the banjo came from Africa, so maybe it's banjos that are evil and not bagpipes! (that's a dig at Gerioke, btw! :24: )

I also found the site to be very short on Christian love. The OP of the site was very quick to say how he questions someone's walk with God and that anyone that can listen to Elvis isn't in the right place with God, etc. That is a judgemental, Pharisicial attitude and does more to drive people away from Christ than to bring them to Him!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Barney Fife and Andy Taylor Satan worshippers! :blink::):emot-highfive: Ronald, you crack me up!

Guest welcomehomefuel

why is heavy metal worse than rock and roll.....stupid.

ok, that website....all bull.

and i take offense at rock and roll music being evil because it came from africa......im from african descent. like, half black. so, yea. i take offense at that. a lot.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I take offense to it because it's stupid..... :emot-highfive:

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

why is heavy metal worse than rock and roll.....stupid.

ok, that website....all bull.

and i take offense at rock and roll music being evil because it came from africa......im from african descent. like, half black. so, yea. i take offense at that. a lot.

Well, I'm white, lol, but I agree completely with what you're saying on that note. I, as I said, am a big fan of country music, especially the older stuff. Jimmie Rodgers, for instance, blended the blues style of the black people he heard with the hillbilly and pop music of the day and made it into a rough resemblance of what is now country music. Hank Williams was taught the guitar by a black man named Tee-Tot; so given all of that, I would say the contribution of those of African descent has been very positive to the world of music!

• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Thanks to all those who responded. You surely seem to have studied this in depth and taken the time to write well thought out answers.

The reason I posted this in the first place is not to label all of this type of music inherently evil, by no means, but just to say that we should at least be wise concerning these things, and aware of where some of the influences originate.

We should always think about what we are doing in our whole life, but we should not make outside things responsible for our own problems either.

If someone came to me and said "I heard this really cool song by Manson" I'd ask for a lyrics sheet, that man spouts blasphemy as often as I have morning breath. I pretty much know what is out there and know to always look. I think everyone else should too.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I think this topic is titled wrong to be honest. Those webpages are discussing the Influences of Secular Rock Music, which is completely different. Their is nothing wrong with any genre of music. Country, Rap, Punk, Blues, Metal, etc. It's all just rhythms and beats. There is nothing in that, sounds good to the ears, but has no value to the spirit. It's the lyrics that do that.

Of course Manson is going to have bad lyrics. Manson makes a point to live life as a Satanist. I would never go anywhere anything he sings. I wouldn't read the lyrics, listen to the song, anything. I know first hand how Satanist music can affect somebody. Don't be fooled into thinking that you can just listen to it and then never think about it again. I've listened to music that had a literal "power" to it, and it was hard for me to pull away from it once I realized it was wrong.

Rock Music by itself is fine, even beneficial if the lyrics are praising God. But music (of any genre) with the wrong lyrics is going to have a negative influence. Now I'm not saying that kids who listen to secular bands are going to become mass murderers. I'm just saying it definatly doesn't have a positive effect in their lives, and that means it's either completely useless, or has a negative one...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/28/1988

Hey ppl!

In sum of thing's u wrote I disgree wif Rock Music isn't satanic I have listen to Rock music and Heavy metal since I was like 11 a sum off the songs got me thinkin abut Jesus and God. Have u's ever tried lookin at it in a different light. Rock music isn't Santanic and Manson rules!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless

Jessi

xoxox

P.S Rock Music Rocks!!!!!!!!!! ;)

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Lyrical samples from Christian rock groups:

How can, how can we who are dead to sin

Live any longer therein?

We've been, we have been called and loved and forgiven

Our old life is forgotten

Do you remember what He's called you out of?

Do you remember where you were?

Let us not take advantage of His love

That we forget that we have been forgiven

Without Him we can do nothing

Petra

++

Love God, hate sin

Mylon LeFevre & BrokenHeart

++

I don't want to be, I don't want to be

A casual Christian

I don't want to live, I don't want to live

A lukewarm life

DeGarmo & Key

++

Hero

it's a nice-boy notion that the real world's gonna destroy

you know

it's a Marvel comicbook Saturday matinee fairytale, boy

Growing older you'll find that illusions are brought

and the idol you thought you'd be was just another zero

I wanna be a hero . . .

When the house fell asleep

from a Book I was led to a Light that I never knew

I wanna be your hero

and he spoke to my heart from the moment I prayed

here's a pattern I made for you

I wanna be your hero

Steve Taylor

++

What are we sneaking around for?

Who are we trying to please?

Shrugging off sin, apologizing

Like we're spreading some kind of disease

I'm saying "No way. No Way."

I'm not ashamed to let you know

I want this light in me to show

I'm not ashamed to speak the name of Jesus Christ.

Newsboys

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Hey ppl!

In sum of thing's u wrote I disgree wif Rock Music isn't satanic I have listen to Rock music and Heavy metal since I was like 11 a sum off the songs got me thinkin abut Jesus and God. Have u's ever tried lookin at it in a different light. Rock music isn't Santanic and Manson rules!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless

Jessi

xoxox

P.S Rock Music Rocks!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Woah! This is going a little bit overboard. I have nothing against any genre of music. It is the lyrics that bug me. I love Heavy Metal, Rock, etc, however it needs to be Christian. Manson is as far from Christian as you can get. I'm afraid anyone who believes Manson isn't satanic is only lying to themselves...