• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Dating as we know it was not the Biblical method for finding a mate. In Biblical days, as far as I know, marriages were arranged.

Now, we can't change our society and go back to that method, of course. :whistling:

I recommend reading a book called I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris (Link)

see i have that book on my bookshelf, but im very wary of reading books by other christians, as some i have read are very off the wall and they seem to have misinterpreted scripture etc, is it a decent book then?

Kay-Gurl

It is a decent book, and it is written as a personal testimony rather than exegesis of scripture. He has a second book about how he and his wife got together (Boy Meets Girl, I think). Again it's very experiential and not preachy.

Douglas Wilson has a very good series on marriage and family...Reforming Marriage, one about kids i forget the title and Her Hand in Marriage.

Her hand in marriage is a biblical look at how one finds a mate, Reforming Marriage is about what a good Christian marriage should be like. I recommend reading them all three, the Hand in Marriage first and then the other two, once you find someone you think is a good match, as a bible study together.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/11/1960

At the resurrection people will neither marry or be given in marriage they will be like the angels in heaven.Matthew 22:30. But I believe I will know my husband and remember that he was my husband.

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

At the resurrection people will neither marry or be given in marriage they will be like the angels in heaven.Matthew 22:30. But I believe I will know my husband and remember that he was my husband.

:P

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Hey Leonard- we haven't heard from you in a while.... :noidea:

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I don't personally see the point in casual dating...you know the kind: You meet at school or through some friends, but you don't really know eachother very well...there's a spark, a fun conversation, she/he makes you feel good about yourself, so you call him/her, and you go out some more. You feel pretty good with eachother for a couple of weeks, then suddenly you find out who the person really is (*gasp!*) and you're no longer attracted to eachother. *shrug* It just seems kinda pointless...too much heartbreak, and all for a few fleeting doses of serotonin. Frankly, I just think it's better to be friends first, then, if it's alright with God, move into courtship. Hey, worked for me. *smiles down at her engagement ring*

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

I don't personally see the point in casual dating...you know the kind: You meet at school or through some friends, but you don't really know eachother very well...there's a spark, a fun conversation, she/he makes you feel good about yourself, so you call him/her, and you go out some more. You feel pretty good with eachother for a couple of weeks, then suddenly you find out who the person really is (*gasp!*) and you're no longer attracted to eachother. *shrug* It just seems kinda pointless...too much heartbreak, and all for a few fleeting doses of seratonin. Frankly, I just think it's better to be friends first, then, if it's alright with God, move into courtship. Hey, worked for me. *smiles down at her engagement ring*

Congratulations!

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Thanks! :noidea:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

LadyC, Marnie, Billielovesdarrin and Kay-Gurl1990 I am so sorry, I really didn't mean that marriage was JUST about procreation. That sounds so cold. I didn't realise that when I wrote it. I must get into the habit of proof-reading my posts.

Of course we need husbands for another thing too - parallel parking.

a friend of mine an myself starting a bit f a confusing conversation yesterday, its been keeping my mind busy ever since, but im nto getting anywhere.

as a christian..is dating necesary? i mean, we are called to give evrything up for God, and all our relationships, of whatever kind, should be betering us with God and in out faith, so why, when we date, do we always end up putting that relationship 1st, its a natural reaction, but...how do we overcome it, and how do we know when we've got that relationship. or who it shall be with? The bible talks of marriage, but not of dating. and yet it is supposed to be (and is) transferable to the lifestyle of today, to help us seek out the right from wrong.

And the other issue of marriage. It says in the bible that in heaven, all the bad stuff from earth does not exist, and yet nither does marriage. why has God blessed us with marriage, if it does not have a place in heaven? why is it needed here on earth, if not in heaven?

I don't know what to make of this.

Kay-Gurl

Well i agree with what marnie says about marriage on earth and the marriage in heaven, he created. But personally i dont believe in dating, i have no instruction about dating in the bible. As i have studied how the lord ordained marriages, it was prophetic and thru the leading of the holy spirit and they courted and became betrothed. There was no dating or trying before u get there, not from my understanding, u can disagree with me, that is ok. lets look at a few marriages in the bible. Adam and eve was the first marriage on earth. Adam was given dominion over the earth and he spent alot of time getting to know every living creature that walked and crawled and he was given a job, naming all the animals, so adam knew his purpose, BUT HE WAS LONELY. he was looking for a suitable companion and there was none. He did not know what he was loooking for as he had never met his suiltable parnter yet. THEN came along eve and the lord PRESENTED the women to man, then adam knew, WOW, she arrived. The lord knew what adam needed more than he knew himself, he created us to be complete with one another, not perfect. so based on that one simple way the lord orchestrates marriage, he brought the woman to man, and GOD does it again and again in the bible, Isaac and Rebecca, Sarah and Abraham, Mary and Joseph, Ruth and Boas, Esther was presented to the King. This is how the lord brings it about, the world would say, man has to pursue and look for it, but as christians, i believe if u trust in the lord and wait upon him, he will direct ur paths and bring along ur path in ur face the one...If u are interested in doing anymore searching about this topi, read GOD IS A MATCHMAKER by Derek Prince, may help u, what do do while u are wiaitng and how GOD prepares man and woman for matriage and his divine pathway :emot-hug:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/08/1966

Marnie said

It is human nature to obsess about your latest date, and for women I think it is natural for some of us to obsess about being married. Especially Jewish women, who should be married at my age...oy

LOL..I'm not Jewish but I totally feel you sister..I'm too young to be single and too old to wait much longer!!! :emot-hug:

I love it....oy!!